PDA

View Full Version : Rash, possible strep, and school. WWYD?

ahisma
12-15-2013, 04:07 PM
A few months ago, DS1 had a rash on his bum that wound up being strep. We had no idea that it could be strep and sent him to school with the rash for a few days before going to the doc since we initially thought it was a hygiene issue (oops!). Strep went through the classroom, although I suspect he wasn't the first one. Still, I felt horrible that we may have spread it, albeit unknowingly.

Fast-forward to now. Yesterday, DS mentioned that his bum was very itchy. We tried Lotrimin thinking that it may be fungal . Previous rash was not itchy. Today the Lotrimin isn't helping so we took him to the med center. He had a red throat so they swabbed him - throat culture came back negative. They did not swab the rash. They think that it is strep again and wrote a script for antibiotics. They said that he can still go to school tomorrow.

I'm kind of iffy on sending him - I don't want to spread strep all over the place. But, the throat swab was negative and the doc said to send him. Meanwhile, he still has an itchy bum, which is problematic but will hopefully resolved with the meds (I'm not convinced, however). DS1 wants to go, he hates staying home. He heard the doc say that there was no reason to keep him home...but it was just the med center doc, who I have much less faith in than his ped.

WWYD? Send him? Keep him home?

scrooks
12-15-2013, 04:20 PM
I would send him. Even if it is strep, the antibiotic works quickly. When dd had it last spring the doc said she was free to go about normal activity 24 hours after starting the antibiotic.

candaceb
12-15-2013, 04:29 PM
I would be wondering about MRSA at this point? I had an itchy rash when I had it. Did they swab his nose?

ahisma
12-15-2013, 04:34 PM
I would be wondering about MRSA at this point? I had an itchy rash when I had it. Did they swab his nose?

Good point. Looks nothing like MRSA to me though, we've been down that road with DS2. Much more of a rash - no boils, blisters or swelling.

BabyBearsMom
12-15-2013, 04:36 PM
If he is on antibiotics for at least 24 hrs, send him

indigo99
12-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Are those the only symptoms? My 2-year-old nephew recently had a fever, runny nose, and said his tummy hurt. The doctor said it was a virus. Two hours after getting home from the doctor, he got a rash. When he went back to the doctor, they said it was RSV. I never would have guessed that.

ahisma
12-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Are those the only symptoms? My 2-year-old nephew recently had a fever, runny nose, and said his tummy hurt. The doctor said it was a virus. Two hours after getting home from the doctor, he got a rash. When he went back to the doctor, they said it was RSV. I never would have guessed that.

Rash is the only symptom. He has a really strong immune system and is pretty much never sick. DS2 had a low fever / runny nose about a week ago, but he pretty much catches everything that comes within a mile of him.

He won't be on the antibiotics for 24 hours, more like 18. That's why I was so surprised that they wanted to send him to school on Monday. But, the rapid strep was negative and the strep diagnosis seems like more of a guess than anything.

dogmom
12-15-2013, 07:48 PM
The strains of strep that cause rashes usually don't cause throat infections. Make sure he doesn't scratch his skin and washes his hands well, should be fine. If he's on antibiotics it should get better, but if it starts spreading, gets swollen or warm call Dr ASAP. Same with fever.

BTW, There is no one classic skin presentation for MRSA, but Strep A can still be as dangerous, I just think MRSA has worse press. Necrotising fasciitis is more common with Strep from my experience.

SnuggleBuggles
12-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Our ped was ok with ds2 going to school on less than 24h abx for strep. I'd be ok sending tomorrow.

mackmama
12-15-2013, 08:08 PM
I would definitely NOT send him. No one wants strep right before the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)