PDA

View Full Version : Update ! Weird WWYD ?

Pennylane
12-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Update:

So after reading everyone's post, I decided to return the bracelet. I went right when they opened this morning . The girl who checked me out yesterday was not there, so I asked if the store owner was available. The lady behind the desk said that was her. I started to explain what happened and she said "Oh, you can stop right there I was the one who spoke with you on the phone yesterday"! So store manager is store owner. I told her how frustrated I was with the way she had handled the situation and that I would just like to return the bracelet . She then tried to pull the "All sales are final " crap on me , saying I had to exchange it. I laughed in her face , told her she could do the return or I was walking out with the bracelet and good luck trying to get the difference in price. I was literally shaking, as I hate confrontations.

I told her that I had been in customer service for many years and I could not imagine handling this situation as poorly as she did and that she could be assured that I would not be returning to her store and would pass this information on to my friends! I also told her that I would be posting a review online . She just sat with a B**tchy look on her face the entire time, processed my return and I left. Went into the store right down from hers, purchased another gift and also told that store staff what had happened! They did not have very nice things to say about the store owner either :)

Thanks again everyone for your advice!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went shopping today to finish up a few last minute gifts that need to be mailed out tomorrow. I purchased a bracelet for my SIL that was $28. Came home wrapped it, put in it the box with other gifts going to their family, sealed and labeled it. Well, a few minutes ago I get a call from the store that the associate actually rang up the bracelet wrong and it was $58 instead. It's a small, local store so I had written my phone number under my signature. She said if it was ok, they would just go ahead and charge my credit card for the difference. I told it wasn't ok as I would have never spent that much on a gift for this person. She then said if I wasn't going to pay the difference then I would need to bring it back to the store first thing tomorrow.

I am just beyond ticked off. My DH said they are just out of luck and have no right to charge me. WWYD?

Ann

TwinFoxes
12-15-2013, 07:21 PM
They are insane! They sure won't be around long if that's their idea of customer service. You bought a bracelet for $28. They have zero right to ask you for the money.

as for what I'd do, I'd be so ticked at their attitude I would keep it. If they had been apologetic I'd think about returning it.

SnuggleBuggles
12-15-2013, 07:23 PM
If notify the credit card company so they can be aware that they may try and charge you. I don't think it is a reasonable request. Errors happen and that's part of doing businesses.

Pennylane
12-15-2013, 07:23 PM
They are insane! They sure won't be around long if that's their idea of customer service. You bought a bracelet for $28. They have zero right to ask you for the money.

Zero right but legally can they ? I mean I don't want to rip anyone off but I never would have bought it at that price. But if I have to take it back tomorrow that means the package won't get out because I have to do more shopping, ugh!

Ann

AngB
12-15-2013, 07:26 PM
I would call them back and tell them if they try to charge your card for more, after the fact, then I would be filing a police report for fraud on their part. As far as I know, you aren't under any obligation to bring the bracelet back, they sold it to you for that price. That's crazy.

nfowife
12-15-2013, 07:30 PM
I agree that I would not go back, and if they call you again you can say you are not liable for the difference as it is their mistake for mismarking the item. I would mention the credit card fraud thing above as well. This is ridiculous for them to call you for $30.

MamaMolly
12-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Oh for heaven's sake! That is their mistake and the sales associate just learned a $30 lesson in being careful. Was it the sales associate who called you? I could see an inexperienced or temporary hire trying to save their bacon this way, but I'd be dumbfounded if it were the manager. Talk about crappy service!

Just curious, do they have a FB page? Does your community? I've seen on our neighborhood community page reviews of local establishments, both rants and raves. Keep it to the facts but I wouldn't hesitate to share your experience.

dogmom
12-15-2013, 07:35 PM
I cannot imagine what possessed them to do such a thing! It seems insane. If $30 is that important I'm pretty sure their business would fail even if they didn't get it.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-15-2013, 07:39 PM

as for what I'd do, I'd be so ticked at their attitude I would keep it. If they had been apologetic I'd think about returning it.
:yeahthat: That is downright INSANE. I don't care if they're a mom & pop store, that is really, really bad business. It'd be one thing if it was a $1000 item marked for $50, but we're talking just $30 here. They need to suck that up, as it was their mistake. I've never heard of a store calling back and saying "Hey, that item you bought from us is actually more expensive that we thought..so we're just going to charge you more, and if you don't agree you have to bring it back". I mean, doesn't that sound scam-like?? Because i'm sure if they did that repeatedly, lots of people will cave in to pay more instead of having to schlep back and return, or would feel bad about it (i could see my DH agreeing to it). That sounds like fraud to me.

i agree with other PP, if it was actually the manager who called i would post something on their FB page about it. And i would totally keep the bracelet.

onyx8
12-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Sounds like the associate owes the store $30 to me. I would alert your credit card that your card nbr was stolen and get a new CC number.

lalasmama
12-15-2013, 08:10 PM
You signed for $28. They can't go in and change it because they got it wrong. How did they get it wrong? No barcode and hand-entering? This screams "accident waiting to happen!" to me! I'd feel secure in keeping it. I'm assuming you asked how much it was before they rung it up (since you said you would have never pay $58 for this person's present, I assume you knew the price ahead of time). They said it was $28, you paid $28, and they came back asking for more money later. You don't get to say "We screwed up and now you owe us $30 more or you need to bring the piece back in!"

I'd call tomorrow during normal business hours and speak with the manager (or owner, if possible, since it's a small local store). I'd let them know what happened (ie, checked the price, was told $28, bought it, and received a call hours later that they charged you the wrong price, and that you expect them to absorb the cost since it was their mistake [a mistake they made twice, apparently, first in the pricing/labeling of the piece, and then again in the scanning/pricing of the piece].)

Pennylane
12-15-2013, 08:25 PM
You signed for $28. They can't go in and change it because they got it wrong. How did they get it wrong? No barcode and hand-entering? This screams "accident waiting to happen!" to me! I'd feel secure in keeping it. I'm assuming you asked how much it was before they rung it up (since you said you would have never pay $58 for this person's present, I assume you knew the price ahead of time). They said it was $28, you paid $28, and they came back asking for more money later. You don't get to say "We screwed up and now you owe us $30 more or you need to bring the piece back in!"

I'd call tomorrow during normal business hours and speak with the manager (or owner, if possible, since it's a small local store). I'd let them know what happened (ie, checked the price, was told $28, bought it, and received a call hours later that they charged you the wrong price, and that you expect them to absorb the cost since it was their mistake [a mistake they made twice, apparently, first in the pricing/labeling of the piece, and then again in the scanning/pricing of the piece].)

It is a small, local owned store and it was the manager that called. The store has hand written receipts, no scanning or anything. The bracelets were clearly marked $28, all hung up together on a board. She said that bracelet should have been on a box on the table in front of the board as it was one of the higher priced ones.

Ann

specialp
12-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Zero right but legally can they ? I mean I don't want to rip anyone off but I never would have bought it at that price. But if I have to take it back tomorrow that means the package won't get out because I have to do more shopping, ugh!

Ann

I really don't think they can. Your signature on the receipt authorizes them to charge you for that specified amount only.

Why did you think it was $28? Was it marked that physically or did a sales person tell you it was less than the marked price or otherwise tell you? I'm wondering if she/he made a mistake on a sale price and is now trying to cover herself by asking your for the remainder. I cannot believe a store owner or even a store manager would ever do this, but the fact is those people (store owner) need to know this was asked of you.

eta: We x posted. I'm shocked. I would contact the store owner.

Green_Tea
12-15-2013, 08:32 PM
I would call the credit card company and ask what legal rights the store has under these circumstances. My guess is that they have none. How I would proceed would depend upon whether I ever wanted to shop at that store again, how small your community is, and what your role in town is. In my town many small business owners are friends and family members of people I know. While I would be completely annoyed, standing my ground under the circumstances you describe might damage MY reputation, and that's not something I would risk over $30. I am not saying they are right (they're totally not, IMO) but the fallout might not be worth it.

Just my .02.

Indianamom2
12-15-2013, 08:33 PM
It is a small, local owned store and it was the manager that called. The store has hand written receipts, no scanning or anything. The bracelets were clearly marked $28, all hung up together on a board. She said that bracelet should have been on a box on the table in front of the board as it was one of the higher priced ones.

Ann

Wow, the manager was the one who called? I'm normally all for being extra careful and honest, but you did nothing wrong. It was completely their mistake and anyone with half a business brain would NEVER call the customer and demand that you fix their mistake. That's really poor business. I'm sorry you're stuck in the middle. I think if it was a diamond bracelet that accidentally got stuck in with the cubic zirconia bracelets, with thousands of dollars in price difference, I'd probably feel like I should return it, but this is just not worth it for the business to get such a bad rap.

MMMommy
12-15-2013, 08:40 PM
That is ridiculous and poor customer service on the manager's part. It was the associate's mistake. A good manager would just eat the $30 "loss" (probably marked up in price anyways!) and call it a day. For her to call you, ask you to bring it back, etc. is just plain silly.

BunnyBee
12-15-2013, 08:43 PM
I would call the credit card company and ask what legal rights the store has under these circumstances. My guess is that they have none. How I would proceed would depend upon whether I ever wanted to shop at that store again, how small your community is, and what your role in town is. In my town many small business owners are friends and family members of people I know. While I would be completely annoyed, standing my ground under the circumstances you describe might damage MY reputation, and that's not something I would risk over $30. I am not saying they are right (they're totally not, IMO) but the fallout might not be worth it.

Just my .02.

Brilliant advice. I would probably return it, get a refund, never shop there again, and post reviews everywhere. If you have bracelets that similar, you need to tag them. Stupid business decisions galore!

azzeps
12-15-2013, 08:49 PM
I'd feel guilty keeping a bracelet that I didn't fully pay for, but maybe that's just me. Maybe you could split the difference with them. You know, karma and all?

wellyes
12-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Brilliant advice. I would probably return it, get a refund, never shop there again, and post reviews everywhere. If you have bracelets that similar, you need to tag them. Stupid business decisions galore!

Yes this. Let everyone know they value customers so little they expect you to do the legwork to fix their mistake over a very minor price issue. I'd want to know that about a store in my town.

Pennylane
12-15-2013, 08:56 PM

Just my .02.

It's not that small of a town where anyone would really know me, but I guess I just don't feel right doing it. Going to sleep on it tonight and decide whether to take it back or pay the extra. Probably the later as I just don't have the time to shop for another gift. Hopefully my SIL will really like it for what I am paying !!

Ann

TwinFoxes
12-15-2013, 09:02 PM
I'd feel guilty keeping a bracelet that I didn't fully pay for, but maybe that's just me. Maybe you could split the difference with them. You know, karma and all?

This isn't like the cashier mis-rang and she thought "woo hoo, score!" It was marked $28, she paid $28. The business sounds like they almost threatened her, instead of calling and falling over themselves apologizing. At LEAST they could have offered some sort of deal, like sell her one of the $28 bracelets for $18, or split the difference of the expensive one. I'm pretty sure karma will be biting them in the butt, not OP. I'm all for do unto others, but they're being awful. But I guess that's just me. :)

OP, if you do return it, I'd let the owner know why you'll be bad-mouthing them all over town. In fact, I'd probably talk,to the owner first, and see if she supports her manager's actions. The owner should have the chance to fix things, because in the end s/he will suffer, not the manager.

MSWR0319
12-15-2013, 09:12 PM
I'd call the credit card company and see if they have any grounds to charge you the rest. If not, then I'd keep the bracelet. It's not your fault they charged you wrong. They just happened to get lucky you wrote your phone number on there. (I've never done that, am I supposed to?) If you feel guilty about keeping it, I'd just return it. I know it's a pain for you, but I'd be so put out with the company that I wouldn't want to give them any business.

123LuckyMom
12-15-2013, 09:25 PM
I agree with everybody else. The mistake was theirs, and it's not your fault they made the mistake. You paid what they asked for the item. It is yours to keep at that price without any guilt attached. As others have suggested, I would notify the credit card company so you don't get charged.

Just a story to show you how business should be done. DH bought my engagement ring at a small, boutique jeweler where they do their own designs. DH knew his budget, so he asked to see everything at or under his price range. The salesperson, who was also the wife of the designer and co-owner of the store, mistakenly included my ring in the mix, but my ring was actually thousands more than our budget. She had misread the price tag! When we fell in love with the ring, she sold it to us for the top price of our budget and took a loss of over a thousand if not more!!! Meanwhile, we have told everyone about their amazing kindness, and whenever we have a substantial jewelry purchase to make, we go there first.

Arguing over $30 is just inane!

queenmama
12-15-2013, 09:31 PM
^^Wow! That's some customer service!

I agree with the general consensus that you are not on the hook. As PP said, it's not as if you were trying to pull a fast one here. It was their mistake. It is super tacky for them to call and ask you to correct something they did wrong.

Lara

KLD313
12-15-2013, 09:34 PM
I would be mad. I had Walgreens do this to me over $10 and I boycotted them after that. There's no way I would go back and pay more.

mommylamb
12-15-2013, 09:42 PM
If it was marked at $28, they are obligated to sell it for that amount. Otherwise it is bait and switch. I would tell her that my time and gas money to drive there and back are worth more than $30. Seriously, you could report her to that other BBB (Better Business Bureau) for that.

JenChem
12-15-2013, 09:51 PM
No way I'd give them more money. Plus I'd think either way you'd have to go back because they'd need your signature to charge you again. I wouldn't hesitate to warn my credit card company about fraudulent charges (that's absolutely what they would be). I'd also post negative reviews on their FB and google pages. I'd also be concerned that an employee could be running a scam and that extra money is going right in her pocket. I cannot imagine what circumstances would warrant this much fuss over $30.

SnuggleBuggles
12-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Truly, I would keep it with zero guilt.

azzeps
12-15-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm not saying OP was all "woo hoo score" at all. She's not at all obligated to do anything. It was their mistake that they didn't have everything marked individually or that the cashier didn't know the inventory well enough to ring up the correct price. And unless they wrote down her credit card information or have a carbon copy of the card, there isn't any way for them to charge her the extra $30. Credit card machines typically only store the last 4 digits of the number and even then would only allow for a return of the sale that was authorized.

I just shared what I would do/feel in this situation, as the OP asked "WWYD".

mom2khj
12-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Wow. I would most definitely return the bracelet (and anything else purchased there!) and shop elsewhere from now on. I would endure the hassle, because no way would I be giving them more money!!

crayonblue
12-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Truly, I would keep it with zero guilt.

Me too. That is some whopping bad customer service.

ChristinaLucia
12-15-2013, 10:17 PM
First off - that is crazy.

Second - your time is worth money. So is the gas and wear and tear on your car as well as having to replace the item with something else. I would already be posting about the incident on Yelp and wherever else.

I wouldn't return it. If you feel badly about keeping it tell them they can drive to your house with the cash in hand to pick it up. There is no reason you should be troubled.

TwinFoxes
12-15-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm not saying OP was all "woo hoo score" at all. She's not at all obligated to do anything. It was their mistake that they didn't have everything marked individually or that the cashier didn't know the inventory well enough to ring up the correct price. And unless they wrote down her credit card information or have a carbon copy of the card, there isn't any way for them to charge her the extra $30. Credit card machines typically only store the last 4 digits of the number and even then would only allow for a return of the sale that was authorized.

I just shared what I would do/feel in this situation, as the OP asked "WWYD".

I totally get that some people would return it. But saying "didn't fully pay for" and mentioning karma made it seem like she was in the wrong. I think she's completely OK karma-wise, and did fully pay for it. That's all. :)

I'm still baffled why they didn't at least call and say "we are so sorry, and we hate to ask, but can we work something out?"

DietCokeLover
12-15-2013, 10:26 PM
. Credit card machines typically only store the last 4 digits of the number .

Actually, my experience with credit card machines is that a report can be run for each sale that provides the whole number. We did this for our business each night when we closed out the books for the day.

kep
12-15-2013, 10:41 PM
They are all kinds of crazy. I would also alert my CC and let them know that I would not be paying any more for the bracelet. What are they thinking?

ahisma
12-15-2013, 10:53 PM
That's crazy. Their approach is very off-putting.

If I got a call from a local shop explaining that there had been a mistake and politely asking me to return it, I probably would. I know that they can run on tight margins and that, especially if it is something that is handmade by an artisan, it may be there on a quasi-consignment sort of arrangement, meaning that they may be taking a loss selling it for $28 vs. $58.

Still, I have to believe that most local shops would never imagine taking that approach that this one has - it's downright threatening IMO (basically, return it or we'll charge you another $30). I would be very offended by the dialogue.

I would likely return it and never return the the store. I think the deciding factor for me here is that they seem like the sort of jerks who will shortchange the artisan who made it in the first place. I would absolutely not give them ANY more money - not even splitting the difference at this point. That really leaves you in a lurch though, which stinks.

indigo99
12-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Mail the package and keep an eye on your credit card statement. The credit card company should easily reverse the charge if they try to charge more after the fact. You have no responsibility for their mistake (if it really was a mistake - sounds VERY fishy to me). You shouldn't feel bad AT ALL because you did absolutely nothing wrong.

urquie
12-15-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm still baffled why they didn't at least call and say "we are so sorry, and we hate to ask, but can we work something out?"

First off - that is crazy.

Second - your time is worth money. So is the gas and wear and tear on your car as well as having to replace the item with something else...

I wouldn't return it. If you feel badly about keeping it tell them they can drive to your house with the cash in hand to pick it up. There is no reason you should be troubled.

:yeahthat:

dhano923
12-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Many states have laws that say items must be sold for the price they are marked at. Here in CA, the state actually does routine checks of stores for overcharges.

I would ignore the manager. If they charge you the extra $30, file a credit card dispute - you have the receipt showing they were only supposed to charge $28. If the manager calls again, I would point out that the bracelet was marked $28 and that's what you paid, and that this sounds like an internal issue of an employee mismarking items. If the manager persists, i would tell them that you are feeling threatened and they need to stop calling, and then I would send a certified letter to the owner of the store about the poor service and harassing calls, and that it is not your fault the employees priced the item incorrectly.

new_mommy25
12-16-2013, 01:01 AM
They cannot legally charge you the extra $30 and that is pretty ballsy of them to ask. I'm a bookkeeper and the company I work for would absorb the loss and possibly write up the employee. We would never dream of asking the customer for additional money. Keep the bracelet, watch your CC statement, and don't shop there again. Do not feel any guilt.

HannaAddict
12-16-2013, 01:57 AM
That is 3 hours or more of the sales associates time because she made a mistake, one she caught promptly. I would return the bracelet or suck it up and pay the extra amount. It is a small business, not a huge mega corp that is trying to do a bait and switch (sears has been caught and sued for mis-marking things). She called the same day, it is a busy holiday season. I would be annoyed, yes, I think the store should probably not have called, but as a small store losing fully half the price of the bracelet does make a difference. Just be a good person and do the right thing and return it. Karma. I don't get the angry, outraged responses. It was a mistake and every mistake doesn't mean you get something for nothing. I'm not surprised because of past posts over price errors online and the frenzy of people here rushing to buy things they wouldn't ordinarily buy, and outrage when the sales are cancelled. But I'm a little surprised at the overwhelming response since it is a small shop.

From a legal standpoint, the small shop certainly can call the cops and file a report, they would tell them they called you the same day and told you and you refused to bring it back. Will they, who knows. But is it worth it?

It never hurts to do the right thing. Maybe you will find something even better.

ETA I wrote this based on the first post that said the associate rang it in wrong, not that is was displayed with all the $28 bracelets. That being said, I would be more irked at them calling me, it really is more their issue since it was with the cheaper bracelets if not individually marked with the lower price, but would still just pay the money if I had it. If it was a hardship, is return it. The store really should eat it, based on the additional info provided in the later post, but having worked for a small fancy toy store in high school, we had awful owners who would have our hide if we'd made a mistake, and they would have not absorbed the loss. I was in high school but the other employees and manager relied on our wages to live, so I wouldn't feel okay asking the store to stuff it. Sorry, it is really annoying but mistakes happen.

abh5e8
12-16-2013, 02:30 AM
um, yes, mistakes happen and when they do, the person that made the mistake is responsible. i dont' think the store has any legal ground to stand on nor would the police do anything.

i agree with pps, i would kindly refuse, as the error was the businesses, alert friends and community members and never shop there again. i also find it sorta funny that hannaaddict would "do the right thing" only for a small store, but not a big box?

rin
12-16-2013, 03:23 AM
um, yes, mistakes happen and when they do, the person that made the mistake is responsible. i dont' think the store has any legal ground to stand on nor would the police do anything.

i agree with pps, i would kindly refuse, as the error was the businesses, alert friends and community members and never shop there again. i also find it sorta funny that hannaaddict would "do the right thing" only for a small store, but not a big box?

:yeahthat:

jam224
12-16-2013, 03:36 AM
If the bracelet was clearly marked with the $28 price tag, then it's not your fault that they made the pricing error. I would not return the bracelet and I would not pay the $30 difference. Karma-wise, I think you're totally in the clear.

To share a similar story: Years ago, I found 2 end tables at a small antique store and asked the owner how much they were. He said $80. Well, when I returned with my checkbook, the man said that he quoted me incorrectly; the tables were supposed to be $80 EACH. But without hesitation, he said that he would sell them to me for $80 because that's what he told me. Initially, I felt a little guilty that I got such a steal, but I also wouldn't have agreed to buy them at the $160 price tag.

HannaAddict
12-16-2013, 05:46 AM

What a snarky response. I would do the right thing regardless, I don't jump on price errors that are posted here or online, I don't return things I know don't come from other stores because I can. When I mentioned a large store, it was in the context that some large stores knowingly advertise things in a misleading way and sometimes advertise things and don't adjust what they ring up at and knowingly try to get away with it. And they have been fined, sued, and caught doing it. In that case, I would argue that they had to honor the advertised price. Not that I personally wouldn't do what for me is the right thing, since this was a WWYD question. I think the reason the OP posted is because she is having ambiguous feelings and knows it was a real mistake, and isn't out to get something for less, but it is a pain to deal with. I just said what i would do. Have a joyful Christmas season!

MamaMolly
12-16-2013, 08:25 AM
From your further info it sounds like this was an honest mistake waiting to happen (due to VERY poorly thought out displays) rather than a bait and switch. But really, who knows? And the question is who is ultimately responsible here? IMO that is the store, not the customer.

Anyway, OP I'm changing my answer. If they want the bracelet or the money, call and tell them YOU want a different bracelet. Ask them to text or email you a photo of the bracelet board, and you'll tell them which one of the $28 ones you select. Then have them box it, wrap it, and drive it over to your house. In the spirit of fairness, be magnanamous and tell them you are willing to pay for the shipping to your family member. Or, if they prefer, you can just keep the one you have for $28.

ETA: in other words, this is NOT your mistake to fix!

minnie-zb
12-16-2013, 09:23 AM
I think the store is in the wrong -- I don't care if it is a big box store or a small boutique. That is bad customer service. The customer is always right -- when did this change?

I would return it and I would politely tell the manager they've lost you as a future customer.

hellokitty
12-16-2013, 09:34 AM
I'd return it, but I would tell the associate and owner that they have lost a customer for life, due to poor CS. I understand that ppl make mistakes, but to call a customer and request that you come back to pay for the difference, for their screw up, is unprofessional. It doesn't matter if it's a small biz or a big box store, there are times when you just have to suck it up and accept your loss. They are lucky that it was only a $30-something difference in price. How about it if it would have been a more expensive mistake, and the customer was not someone who was willing to consider going back to pay the difference or return the item? I wouldn't feel bad about returning it. It's like false advertising, you were told one price and it's almost like they did the switcheroo. The vast majority of ppl in your shoes would be miffed, esp with this being such a crazy time of the yr, this is just one more headache to deal with. I mean, now you have to waste your time to go back there to return/pay the difference. It's a big hassle onto YOU, due to their mistake. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I would return it and just let them know that this is a good example of poor service and how to lose business. You don't have to throw a fit over it, but I would just very curtly let them know.

kaharris83
12-16-2013, 09:46 AM
I would not return it. It's their mistake. You are not in the wrong.

I special ordered my DS2s mattress and a conversion kit for our crib from the local baby boutique. When I called to check on the status of the order 3 months later the manager called back to tell me the associate had mischarged me and they were taking a $300 loss on the mattress and a $200 loss on the conversion kit. Without hesitation and before I had the chance to get a word in edgewise he told me the store was going to do the right thing and honor the price they sold me the items at. I was worried the associate may lose her job over such a large mistake, but she was apparently never reprimanded because when DH showed up to collect the items he said she was so proud of herself for finding the hard to find items and was bragging about it.

SnuggleBuggles
12-16-2013, 09:46 AM
I'd return it, but I would tell the associate and owner that they have lost a customer for life, due to poor CS. I understand that ppl make mistakes, but to call a customer and request that you come back to pay for the difference, for their screw up, is unprofessional. It doesn't matter if it's a small biz or a big box store, there are times when you just have to suck it up and accept your loss. They are lucky that it was only a $30-something difference in price. How about it if it would have been a more expensive mistake, and the customer was not someone who was willing to consider going back to pay the difference or return the item? I wouldn't feel bad about returning it. It's like false advertising, you were told one price and it's almost like they did the switcheroo. The vast majority of ppl in your shoes would be miffed, esp with this being such a crazy time of the yr, this is just one more headache to deal with. I mean, now you have to waste your time to go back there to return/pay the difference. It's a big hassle onto YOU, due to their mistake. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I would return it and just let them know that this is a good example of poor service and how to lose business. You don't have to throw a fit over it, but I would just very curtly let them know.

The more people that suggest returning it and being done with the store are swaying me to that idea. Sorry you have such an unnecessary problem on your hands!

JenChem
12-16-2013, 10:21 AM
From your further info it sounds like this was an honest mistake waiting to happen (due to VERY poorly thought out displays) rather than a bait and switch. But really, who knows? And the question is who is ultimately responsible here? IMO that is the store, not the customer.

Anyway, OP I'm changing my answer. If they want the bracelet or the money, call and tell them YOU want a different bracelet. Ask them to text or email you a photo of the bracelet board, and you'll tell them which one of the $28 ones you select. Then have them box it, wrap it, and drive it over to your house. In the spirit of fairness, be magnanamous and tell them you are willing to pay for the shipping to your family member. Or, if they prefer, you can just keep the one you have for $28.

ETA: in other words, this is NOT your mistake to fix!

I like having the store bring you a new bracelet. I think that would be great. Otherwise I would just mail out my box and watch my CC. I cannot understand how anyone would think that somehow damages your karma. You did nothing wrong and it's not your job to fix others errors.

minnie-zb
12-16-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't think it is bad karma, but it would nibble at my brain for a while and that's why I would return the bracelet. For me it would be more for peace of mind and moving forward. I do not think the OP will get bad karma if she keeps the bracelet. The OP did nothing wrong -- I do think there's bad karma for the store, but they've already brought it on themselves!

aa2mama
12-16-2013, 10:43 AM
The store is in the wrong, and they should never have made that call in the first place. I would not make a return trip to the store to fix their mistake. If you feel the need to return the bracelet, I would request that they send you a postage paid return label to mail it back to the store. I would matter of factly tell them that this is very poor customer service on their part and that they have lost you as a customer. You would already be inconvenienced by having to find a replacement gift, you should not be doubly inconvenienced by having to make a second trip to the store as well. Time is at a premium this time of year. I also think that you would be justified in telling them that it is their mistake, and they need to honor the displayed price.

SnuggleBuggles
12-16-2013, 10:52 AM
OP- did you voluntarily write your phone number or were you asked to? If you were asked to, I'd suspect that the whole thing was pre-planned by them. I never leave my number nor have I been requested to on credit cards.

Ceepa
12-16-2013, 11:00 AM
The whole thing would leave a bad taste in my mouth. I would return the bracelet because I wouldn't want any jewelry from them, I wouldn't want to give them even the $28 sale, I wouldn't want to give that bracelet as a present.

I would do just as HelloKitty said and return the piece making it clear that their handling of the situation has been unprofessional and unacceptable. Tell them you will not be returning and after this fiasco, would not be able to recommend them to any person you know.

squimp
12-16-2013, 11:42 AM
I would honestly be shocked that they had the gall to call me over $30! A more expensive mistake I can understand, but it is hard to believe that they would want to lose a customer for life over that small amount. It is petty and not very smart. I would want to say I had already packed it up to ship off to family and do they really want me to unpack it and return for $30.

Binkandabee
12-16-2013, 12:20 PM
I really do wonder what the manager was thinking when she called you. In doing so, she's put her store in a situation where they're going to end up with an uhappy customer no matter the outcome. She really should have just fixed the mistake in the store for future purchases and moved on. Even selling the bracelet for $28.00, it's highly likely the store isn't taking a loss to their bottom line. Markup on most retail items is at least 100% (especially jewelry)....so the store paid $24.00 or less for the bracelet.

I'd probably correct the mistake by returning the bracelet, but no way would I EVER shop at that store again...and I'd let them know that when you return it. That's abysmal customer service.

Mistakes like this are part of doing business. They're not pleasant to make, but it's just part of it. DH sells shoes and there are some transactions that he loses money on, but at the end of the day, it's the overall profitability that matters, not each individual transaction.

Jacksmommy2b
12-16-2013, 12:38 PM
I have never heard of anything like this!

I would keep the bracelet and not feel bad for a second! I would also call the owner and let them know about how the whole thing was handled.

If you feel obligated to return the bracelet, I would have someone pick it up with cash or a replacement. There is no way I would be bothered for a hot second over their 'mistake'.

I can't wait to hear how this one ends!

Pennylane
12-16-2013, 12:56 PM
OP- did you voluntarily write your phone number or were you asked to? If you were asked to, I'd suspect that the whole thing was pre-planned by them. I never leave my number nor have I been requested to on credit cards.

They asked me to. That didn't raise any flags with me as I do that quite a bit in these small stores.

Ann

mommylamb
12-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Update:

So after reading everyone's post, I decided to return the bracelet. I went right when they opened this morning . The girl who checked me out yesterday was not there, so I asked if the store owner was available. The lady behind the desk said that was her. I started to explain what happened and she said "Oh, you can stop right there I was the one who spoke with you on the phone yesterday"! So store manager is store owner. I told her how frustrated I was with the way she had handled the situation and that I would just like to return the bracelet . She then tried to pull the "All sales are final " crap on me , saying I had to exchange it. I laughed in her face , told her she could do the return or I was walking out with the bracelet and good luck trying to get the difference in price. I was literally shaking, as I hate confrontations.

I told her that I had been in customer service for many years and I could not imagine handling this situation as poorly as she did and that she could be assured that I would not be returning to her store and would pass this information on to my friends! I also told her that I would be posting a review online . She just sat with a B**tchy look on her face the entire time, processed my return and I left. Went into the store right down from hers, purchased another gift and also told that store staff what had happened! They did not have very nice things to say about the store owner either :)

Thanks again everyone for your advice!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:47::47::47:

I am speechless!

BunnyBee
12-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Holy crap, I can't believe she tried to refuse the return!!! Definitely leave reviews to warn other people.

lkoala
12-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Update:

She then tried to pull the "All sales are final " crap on me , saying I had to exchange it. I laughed in her face , told her she could do the return or I was walking out with the bracelet and good luck trying to get the difference in price. I was literally shaking, as I hate confrontations.

OMG! She actually did that? I predict this business not lasting the next 6 months. I think the way you handled it was perfect. It was a good thing to return it and you bought your SIL something that was not tainted with such a horrible transaction.

jerigirl
12-16-2013, 01:19 PM
WOW! On the phone she told you to bring the bracelet back and when you did, she didn't want to do a return? CRAAAAZY. I think you did the right thing. I am glad you found something else for SIL.

katerinasmom
12-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Update:

She then tried to pull the "All sales are final " crap on me , saying I had to exchange it.

Wow! Just wow! I can't believe this was her response.

dogmom
12-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Read your update, that is even more insane! I am speechless. I would probably be pissed enough now to call the BBB (the other one!) since you went to the time and effort to return it after she told you that was one of the options.

minnie-zb
12-16-2013, 01:26 PM
The woman is not working with a full deck.

jam224
12-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Wow. Good for you for returning it. I can't believe she wasn't going to let you return it after she asked you to bring it back! Probably is best that she doesn't have a cent of your money, holy cow!

HannaAddict
12-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Good for you. The owner/manager sounds awful and I'm sure she's no fun to work for either. I would have been pissed and not nice about the return when she said all sales final, that makes no sense. Crazy. But you handled it and she won't be around long if that is her MO. There is a small silver jewelry shop at our local mall that had terrible CS and I have never gone back. I truly vote with my wallet. If I had time, I might so a Yelp review, but probably would not use up any more energy or angst. Sorry this happened to you, you were by far the better person and went above and beyond. Pat on the back to you!

squimp
12-16-2013, 01:28 PM
All sales are final???? What about the sale she made to you, why wasn't that final? Good for you for sticking to your guns and getting your money back!

larig
12-16-2013, 01:32 PM
I just read your update--the AUDACITY of that woman! I'd feel very good that I had gotten my money back. I'd not want to spend a cent with that woman.

wellyes
12-16-2013, 01:32 PM
All sales are final???? What about the sale she made to you, why wasn't that final? Good for you for sticking to your guns and getting your money back!

EXACTLY!

This woman is what yelp is made for.

specialp
12-16-2013, 01:36 PM
I hope you write a review as soon as you can and in as many places as you can - not for your sake, but for mine and others. I shop local small businesses on purpose, always look them up, and I would love to not have to learn the hard way on this place.

MamaMolly
12-16-2013, 01:37 PM

That is what I was thinking, too! All sales are final, but only if they go in the store's favor. Honestly if you lived in my town I'd really appreciate reading a review of what happened. I prefer shopping small businesses but I sure wouldn't want to spend my money in a place like that!

minnie-zb
12-16-2013, 01:38 PM
I think requesting a patron provide their phone number may be in violation of their terms of agreement with Mastercard and Visa.

mom2khj
12-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Just read the update. Definitely glad you returned and got your money back!!

indigo99
12-16-2013, 01:43 PM
I hope you write a review as soon as you can and in as many places as you can - not for your sake, but for mine and others. I shop local small businesses on purpose, always look them up, and I would love to not have to learn the hard way on this place.

Absolutely. They asked for your phone number in advance and just wanted you to agree by phone to pay more in order to avoid the hassle. Trying to refuse the return that THEY asked you to make? I just don't see this as being honest in any way, shape, or form. This just screams scam to me which is absurd even for criminals to do over such a small sum. I guess if they do it to others on higher priced items then it adds up.

Double check that you get the refund and please warn others with a bad review.

Globetrotter
12-16-2013, 01:47 PM
She then tried to pull the "All sales are final " crap on me , saying I had to exchange it

:6: Seriously? This proves, beyond a doubt, that they don't deserve to be in business!!! If they had apologized profusely, I might have given them a chance, but to have such an arrogant attitude on top of everything else when it was THEIR mistake? WOW.

MamaInMarch
12-16-2013, 01:54 PM
This just blows my mind. I agree, a call to the BBB and reviews on Yelp, etc are in order. I do plenty of local business shopping and would be very appreciative of being warned ahead of time about such a place.

Binkandabee
12-16-2013, 01:55 PM
I figured your update would have an apology at the very least, but no she dug herself a deeper hole. Unbelievable, truly unbelievable. Is this a new or an established business?

Good for you sticking to your guns and getting your money back. I'm fuming for you and I wasn't even there!

SnuggleBuggles
12-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Wow! What a terrible experience all around!

Do they have a carbon copy of your credit card? I'd totally be putting a fraud alert on my card if they did.

westwoodmom04
12-16-2013, 02:05 PM
This just blows my mind. I agree, a call to the BBB and reviews on Yelp, etc are in order. I do plenty of local business shopping and would be very appreciative of being warned ahead of time about such a place.

Yup, totally outrageous. Given that she was so desperate to get that $30 back, I expect that they won't be in business this time next year.

hellokitty
12-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I just read your update, wow, just wow, what a despicable person! I cannot believe that she had the balls to throw the, "all sales are final" crap on you, after she being the one who instigated this ENTIRE drama! Yes, I agree with the others, feel free to openly share you experience with this store to the Better Business Bureau, on facebook on Yelp, craigslist, etc.. I mean, seriously, if she gave you THIS hard of a time about an inexpensive bracelet, I would imagine that most ppl spend more than you did at her store and even with your purchase, I am livid that you went through this crap and were treated so poorly. Can you imagine someone buying an expensive watch or engagement ring from this place and then maybe having some issue (no fault of their own) and being treated this way? Ppl will be very happy to know to avoid this place. Word gets around, in my area, it is very obvious how much word-of-mouth can help or destroy a business, and this business owner is a fool to think that she is immune to this. Anyway, you are a saint for putting up with that horrible woman, but I'm glad that you did the right thing. It really sounds to me like she thought that she, "got away" with it, and that you were going to pay the difference.

ccather
12-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the Update! That's exactly what I would have done mostly on principle. And way to stand up for yourself on the "all sales final" BS!! I second (third, fourth...) the vote to poor review her in Yelp. That sort of thing is exactly what it is for.

Unbelievable!

inmypjs
12-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Wow! Also shocked by your update and how rude she was! Um, all sales are final??? Guess that doesn't apply to when you first bought it!!!

RROBINETT
12-16-2013, 02:12 PM
That is unbelievable! Interesting update..
Make sure you share the story on YELP, AND GOOGLE +Reviews.. its seems kinda sketchy to call a customer and try to get more money out of them. Wacth your credit card!

RROBINETT
12-16-2013, 02:12 PM
That is unbelievable! Interesting update..
Make sure you share the story on YELP, AND GOOGLE +Reviews.. its seems kinda sketchy to call a customer and try to get more money out of them. Wacth your credit card!

hellokitty
12-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I agree with the pp about your cc. TBH, I'd be tempted to call your cc company from that purchase and request a new cc. So, if I were in your shoes, I would just play it safe, and avoid leaving yourself open to that kind of situation, and it still seems so sketchy to me, whether it was on purpose or a true mistake, we will never know, but still, after the way you were treated, the business seems to be run w/o little to no ethics. I have never had to leave my number at any boutique/local stores before for a purchase and after reading your experience, I will basically NOT being giving out my number if anyone asks for it.

Piglet
12-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Whuck???? That is possibly the craziest store owner I have ever heard about! Seriously? All sales final? WOW!

BDKmom
12-16-2013, 02:33 PM
This is the most bizarre situation I have ever heard of. I didn't get a chance to reply earlier, but I'm glad you went for the return and didn't give them any of your money. Good for you for sticking to your guns when she started pulling the "all sales final" cr@p. I agree with PPs in that I don't think this business will last for long. That lady is some piece of work.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-16-2013, 02:35 PM
She then tried to pull the "All sales are final " crap on me , saying I had to exchange it.
OMG!! I can't believe she pulled that. If that is not trying to swindle a sale, I don't know what is. I'd be leaving reviews on yelp, FB, left right and center. A store that essentially tries to trick/guilt customers out of their money after their own mistake does not deserve to be in business.

Anyway, it sounds like you did the right thing in returning it, even though it probably was more hassle for you to have to go over there and rebuy a different gift. And yes i hate confrontation too but seriously I could not swallow being asked to double the amount for something after the fact. I think it is best that you returned it so you have nothing to do with the store, don't have to worry about your CC bein g charged and plus don't have to think about your SIL getting a "tainted' gift.

crl
12-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Wow! That is just awful. I would be livid.

Catherine

rachelh
12-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Whoa! I am late to this but I cannot believe they had the nerve to call you to ask to charge your CC or have you return the bracelet! And then tell you all sales are final!! Sure bet, I would be telling every on I know not to shop there. Can you make a complaint to the BBB?

I have had a couple bad experiences at local stores. One store that I frequented often and spent a few thousand dollars a year at, I no longer patronize.

aa2mama
12-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Wow. Just wow.

tabegle
12-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I agree with the pp about your cc. TBH, I'd be tempted to call your cc company from that purchase and request a new cc. So, if I were in your shoes, I would just play it safe, and avoid leaving yourself open to that kind of situation, and it still seems so sketchy to me, whether it was on purpose or a true mistake, we will never know, but still, after the way you were treated, the business seems to be run w/o little to no ethics. I have never had to leave my number at any boutique/local stores before for a purchase and after reading your experience, I will basically NOT being giving out my number if anyone asks for it.

Actually, had she not left her phone number, I wouldn't have been surprised if the manager/owner would have gone ahead and charged the remainder to the card without notifying the OP.

AngB
12-16-2013, 03:04 PM
:47:

You know, my state is in a legal dispute with Walgreens for "bait and switch" or whatever where they have items priced one thing on shelves but it rings up differently (higher). Our state's attorney general's office actually did an undercover investigation for it.

I would be pretty tempted to give them a call because I have a hard time believing what they did to you was even legal. (Calling you and telling you if you didn't return the bracelet that they would charge your card an extra $30.) Who knows what other kinds of crap that lady has pulled.

echoesofspring
12-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Wow, just read your update. I cannot believe she tried to tell you all sales are final. I think she needs to rethink her line of work....I'd be taking bets on how long she stays in business with an attitude like that.

TwinFoxes
12-16-2013, 03:48 PM
OP, I believe your post may win the most memorable of 2013 award. Good for you for not taking the "all sales are final" BS. What a horrible business owner.

Melaine
12-16-2013, 03:55 PM
OP, I believe your post may win the most memorable of 2013 award. Good for you for not taking the "all sales are final" BS. What a horrible business owner.

This. I am speechless!

Mommy_Mea
12-16-2013, 04:03 PM
:47: I can't believe the audacity of the owner!! I stink at confrontations as well, so I knew exactly how you felt saying that, and how hard that must have been. Good for you!!

TxCat
12-16-2013, 04:07 PM
OP, I think you handled it perfectly. I would definitely make a complaint with the BBB, and if your AG has a division for business fraud. I would be very suspicious that this was not an honest mistake and that this was a bait and switch scam. Especially at this time of year, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would just agree to pay the additional charge.

I'm totally speechless at this whole turn of events.

KpbS
12-16-2013, 04:18 PM
The nerve of her!!! Good for you for standing strong to that bully. :cheerleader1:

ChristinaLucia
12-16-2013, 04:25 PM
What sort of horrible person is she? You spend your time, energy and money to take the bracelet back for HER mistake and then she tries to say that you can't return it?? Please post reviews of your terrible experience. Sorry - I absolutely hate confrontation too.

mmommy
12-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Wow, OP, I just read the whole saga. It's unbelievable that someone like this chose retail as a career. I too hope you put some reviews out locally so others know to avoid her. For those of us who try to support local businesses, these types of reviews make such a difference.

123LuckyMom
12-16-2013, 04:34 PM
That the owner's response was what it was unfortunately does not surprise me given her earlier behavior. Someone with that little regard for her customers was bound to try to milk you for the extra money. I would definitely notify the credit card company that they are to reject all charges from that store. I would also take the time to write a review. You can copy and paste it into whatever sites are popular in your area. I also would report the business to the BBB. The store had no right to charge you the extra money, to make you return the item, or to adjust the sale THEY made in any way. That they then tried to refuse the return so that the only outcome would be for them to get more money out of you was unconscionable. It is possible they make these "mistakes" frequently and that they are regularly cheating customers in this way. The only way anyone will find out if that is the case is if multiple people report the incidents. I would make a report!

elephantmeg
12-16-2013, 05:48 PM
wow, nice job and good for you for taking the high road. She sucks

queenmama
12-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Oh. My. Goodness.

If the original issue wasn't crazy enough... What an awful businesswoman. I would absolutely spread the word all over town.

Lara

mom2binsd
12-16-2013, 06:24 PM

It is actually illegal for them to ask for your phone number when you use a credit card, there is no need for them to have your number and credit card companies don't require it.

They made the mistake, they need to deal with it.

I'd have said, sorry I mailed it already and I'm not coming back in to give you money because of your mistake, end of story.

crayonblue
12-16-2013, 07:07 PM
I answered as I did (bad customer service) because of an experience DH and I had about 12 years ago. We were out to dinner and we waited and waited and waited for our waitress to bring our check. We asked several other waiters who walked by if they knew where she was because we HAD to leave. DH had to get back to work and we were in a hurry. Finally, DH wrote his name and phone number on a napkin and a note asking for them to please call him so he could pay but that we simply couldn't wait any longer. We got a call later that night…by the manager…threatening to call the police for stealing food!!!!!!!! DH told that man a thing or two and ended up we got a gift certificate in the mail for two meals. We ate our two meals and NEVER went back. Stealing, please.

Totally different scenario, but reminded me of bad customer service that gets even worse!

sunnyside
12-16-2013, 07:16 PM

Seriously! What was that lady thinking???

Seitvonzu
12-16-2013, 07:26 PM
oh my goodness! that person won't be in busy long. can you imagine being their employee? i feel bad for the salesgirl now! :( what a silly situation. you absolutely went above and beyond. i would NOT have opened a boxed up package that was ready to be mailed... that's alot of work! crazy

KLD313
12-16-2013, 07:53 PM
This woman should not own a store that deals with the public in any way, shape or form.

georgiegirl
12-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Good for you!

mom2binsd
12-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Are you in a state where she is violating the law asking for phone numbers, I'd report her just because...

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/what-info-merchants-ask-for-when-using-credit-card-1282.php

bisous
12-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Holy cow! I'd be SO tempted to say "Final sale? Well, you said it" and walk right out that door with that bracelet! CRAZY! But what you did was better. :) WHAT a story. I'm sure that that business is in trouble or if not, it will be!

azzeps
12-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Wow, she's nuttier than a fruitcake! Unbelievable. And so sorry for your experience. I hate confrontations like that, too. :( Hope you find another really nice bracelet for your SIL.

PZMommy
12-16-2013, 10:56 PM
I'd bet money it was a scam. First they can't ask for you to put a phone number. Second to call you and demand more money or return it, and then you choose to return it should be fine. If the manager then refuses to return it, she just wanted more money from you. I wonder how many people just authorize them to charge for the extra amount??? I'd be contacting the BBB, and posting everywhere about this awful store and how they are scamming people for money. I used to work retail, and if we made pricing errors in favor of the customer, it always went their way and we had to take the loss.

tabegle
12-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Good for you taking the higher road. I don't think I would have been able to do that in this situation.

Agree with pp's about reporting them everywhere. In hindsight, it does seem very scamy: telling you to "bring it back" and then the next day "all sales final".

musicalgrl
12-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Appalling, from start to finish. Good for you for standing up to her and then ultimately taking your business elsewhere!

JustMe
12-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Wow, that is really bad! I am so outraged for you, I can't imagine how outraged you must feel. That is just wrong!

MMMommy
12-17-2013, 01:37 AM
Appalling behavior, especially the "all sales final" crap. WTH? She doesn't deserve the business of any customer.