PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Stella & Dot, CAbi, and the like

crl
12-15-2013, 07:22 PM
What do you think of the home selling shows like CAbi and Stella & Dot?

Just curious.

Catherine

MamaMolly
12-15-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't mind them and if I go I know that there is the expectation to buy. One thing that really bugs me about Stella and Dot and Lia Sophia is the fact that you really can't see what you are buying, because they only show a smattering of stuff and the rest is all catalogue. I have hits and misses from both lines, and with the misses I'd have never bought if I'd seen the stuff IRL first.

And I have to admit I roll my eyes and groan inwardly when I get invites from company newbies.

Green_Tea
12-15-2013, 07:46 PM
I really like Stella and Dot, and Silpada, too. I don't buy anything there is no sample for, though, and I also feel no obligation whatsoever to buy anything. I have hosted parties where people didn't buy, and it didn't bother me. Most of my friends who host just do it for fun and an excuse to hang out and drink wine. :54:

TwinFoxes
12-15-2013, 08:33 PM
I've only been to one. It was fun. I didn't feel obligated to buy, but I did buy a couple of things. They're not super popular here. I had to hunt down a sales person for Pampered Chef, I didn't go to a party. (I do like the pizza stone we have.)

OKKiddo
12-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I really like Stella and Dot, and Silpada, too. I don't buy anything there is no sample for, though, and I also feel no obligation whatsoever to buy anything. I have hosted parties where people didn't buy, and it didn't bother me. Most of my friends who host just do it for fun and an excuse to hang out and drink wine. :54:

I love Stella and Dot too! Actually, I'm most fond of their bags/wallets/companion bags. Very well made, easy to access and organize things, and easy to clean.

specialp
12-15-2013, 08:46 PM
I voted tacky, but that is a much harsher word than I would have chosen. I do not think the parties themselves are bad nor the people who host them, but I do not like the model of these businesses. Prey on your friends because the company knows they'll feel obligated to buy. Makes money for them, but it can have the effect of people sort of avoiding you. I guess it works so it can't be bad! But I know I have avoided a few acquaintances because I felt like whatever connection we had prior morphed into only about what I would buy. I have gone to parties of different groups to socialize and help support my acquaintance AND I actually do a own a few pieces (s&d necklaces, pampered chef measuring cups, 31 wristlet), but I only bought one thing at a party vs. online through my person. I felt so bad because only a few people showed up.

mom2binsd
12-15-2013, 08:58 PM
I've been to a bunch and have had fun, never felt I had to buy anything, best party by far was a sex toy party I went to years ago......a fun party, great products that still work well :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

hellbennt
12-15-2013, 09:56 PM
I actually think CAbi quality & sizing/fit is nice/good but it's so expensive, I'd rather find coupon codes & sales & shop banana republic, anthropologie, lucky, dep't stores, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

mommylamb
12-15-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm also not a big fan of this particular business model, and I rarely go to these parties because I don't want to feel obligated to buy. I do feel obligated when I go. I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it. Some of the items are nice.

My favorite "in home" sales party was a wine tasting a friend of mine hosted a few years back. It was awesome. A wine expert from a local wine and cheese shop came to her house and walked the group through a whole bunch of different wines and provided an amazing background on wine in general. I was very happy to spend a lot of money at that particular event!

SnuggleBuggles
12-15-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm always down with socializing so I go regardless if my intention to buy. I'm definitely not a dream customer as I don't spend more than $50 at anything like that, if I spend anything at all. If I have the time available, I go.

dogmom
12-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Here are my issues (I voted other):

I find the stuff sold at home parties to be at best overpriced.
If the person hosting is doing it for extra money they really could use I feel obligated to buy to help them, but I feel like I am mostly giving my $$ to the people over them because they are all a pyramid set up. Some, like Mary Kay, really prey on women that are desperate to help their families. If the person is just doing it for "fun" I wish the would just have me and some other friends over for a game night or something. Either way I feel icky about the whole thing. I don't for a minute think the host would want that, and I see why others would not overthink it as much as me, but that is how I feel about them. I tend to fall back on my wacky work schedule and decline invites.

crl
12-16-2013, 01:43 AM
Thank you!
Catherine

pastrygirl
12-16-2013, 09:19 AM
A local boutique carries Cabi clothes, and I've bought a few things. I would love to go to a Cabi party -- it sounds like fun to try on a ton of stuff with friends. I also like the jewelry parties. Everything IS overpriced, but I have fun and usually get a couple of things.

AnnieW625
12-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Not a fan of the business model at all, but then I am the suckiest sales person in the world (I didn't inherit the ability to sell from my dad; he could sell all of these lines to women with no problem--he sells wine for a living and has done private wine shows and loves it) so if I find something I like I will buy it on my own and tell the hostess I have zero interest in hosting a party. I did host a Cabi party once in 2008 and I only had 4 or 5 people attend and I knew one friend was going to host off of my party so I got a $150 jacket for free, but if it hadn't been that one unique situation I probably wouldn't have done it.

I do have a few pieces of Cabi that I really like from when I was skinnier and they are classic so I saved them to wear when and if I lose some weight. I love my Pampered Chef stuff and now my best friend is a PC director so if I need something I'll order from her (although I haven't yet), but she lives 300 miles away so unless I wanted to do a brochure sale for a fundraiser I'll never be asked to host a party. I love Tupperware and have been to a party and needed to go because I needed stuff replaced, but again won't host or be a regular buyer; reminds me I need to contact a local one for some replacement parts. I also use Mary Kay products, but have never hosted a party or have the urge to, I just like their stuff; and so far that is my feeling with Stella & Dot as well.