PDA

View Full Version : Cold Bedroom

Raidra
12-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Fiona's and Niall's bedroom is always colder than the rest of the bedrooms. They're all on the same heating zone, and the baseboard does work.. but for some reason, whether it's an insulation thing, or because of the skylight, or what.. it's always cold in there. We do have those heavy sound/cold blocking curtains on the window, but nothing on the skylight yet. The kids don't care at all during the day, but I'd like to do something more to keep them warm at night. For right now, Fiona just has a comforter and a fleece on her bed, and Niall has a thick, three-layered fleece and a regular, thinner fleece. They don't like bundling up in warm PJs - both would prefer to sleep in just undies and a diaper if we let them.

So what are some good options? My husband suggested a space heater, but that makes me nervous.. partly for the horror stories we've all heard in the past, but also because the house is old and I'm not sure how great the wiring is (if that even matters). A friend has a kid whose bedroom is always cold and she just got him a heated mattress pad. That also makes me nervous.. but the other problem there is that Niall still sleeps in a toddler bed (Fiona's in a twin).

Anyway. Should I just stick with getting flannel sheets and another blanket or two, or should I look into a space heater or heated mattress pads?

egoldber
12-16-2013, 12:59 PM
We all have heated mattress pads and I love them!

It is a problem with a toddler bed though.

hillview
12-16-2013, 01:07 PM
I'd get a thermometer and see what the actual temperature is in there overnight. I mean 65 isn't going to kill anyone but if you are talking 55 I'd get a space heater KWIM?

emily
12-16-2013, 01:14 PM
We had similar issue with a bedroom above the garage in our own home. What's on the floor? We had hardwood so we added heavy rug and a space heater. DS was in a crib though so no worries about him touching it or anything.

Raidra
12-16-2013, 01:46 PM
The bedroom has new carpet. It feels pretty padded. The room is above our kitchen which stays a decent temperature. It's tucked under the eaves, though, so I think the fact that there's no attic above it is what's making it colder than the other rooms.

I don't really want to put Niall in a twin bed just yet (mainly because it's a small room). Maybe a heated mattress pad for Fiona and extra blankets for Niall..

minnie-zb
12-16-2013, 01:49 PM
We all have heated mattress pads and I love them!

It is a problem with a toddler bed though.

Heated mattress pads are like heaven.

hellokitty
12-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Heated mattress pads are like heaven.

Yup, that's what dh and I have too (we have the coldest bedroom in the house, the kids' bedrooms are quite cozy). I got it 50% off clearance at Target two yrs ago and my dh still raves about how it was the best $ we ever spent and we both agree that it is worth paying full price for it. We have never had ours malfunction. The only thing with a toddler and possiblity of peeing the bed, is that I would put on another waterproof layer in btwn the mattress pad and sheets.

RROBINETT
12-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Heated Mattress pad.. or Down comforters..Space Heaters scare me.. I worked for the Red Cross.. so many things can go awry.

DualvansMommy
12-16-2013, 02:09 PM
I had the same problem after moving DS into his bigger bedroom with his big boy bed, when we converted his crib into full size bed. His old nusery room faced towards the back, which was quite warm but next door (current bedroom) facing the front under the eaves and dome (we have a tudor style home but colonial inside) and discovered it is cold there!! especially when we put him down for his naps (1-3pm) and esepcially at nights after keeping our upper floor consistently at 69.

we fixed the issue by buying a heavy duty rug for his hardwood floors and leaving his door open all day, which helps circulate warm air from our upper hallway. It worked, in addition buying a good weighted comforter for his bed and always dressed him in long sleeve pj's.

doberbrat
12-16-2013, 02:55 PM
our bedrooms are normally about 55 at night. Kids wear long sleeved pjs in fleece or flannel. If wearing a nightgown, they wear oversized fleece socks. Then they have their fleece sheets, flannel blanket, wool blanket and a down comforter.

Years ago, we lived in a house where the 2nd floor had no heat & no insulation (rental) and thats where our bedroom was. To say it was cold is the understatement of the year. We had a quilt made by SIL which was 2 wool blankets with batting in between quilted. It was SO heavy and warm. We had a space heater which we used as I was getting ready for bed and then turned off and when the alarm first went off (I'd hit the snooze button again). And I kept my robe under the blankets with me so it would be warm. We survived without any ill effects.

I dont think I would ever be able to sleep while my kids have space heaters or even electric blankets on their bed. I'm so so scared of a house fire....

Kindra178
12-16-2013, 03:03 PM
If they are not cold, I wouldn't worry about it. If they are cold, I would suggest you add good quality fleece or flannel pajamas plus an undershirt (I know you said they don't like it, but to me, that means they are not cold). Flannel or fleece sheets are also an easy way to make a bed warmer. You could also try a winterweight feather down or primaloft comforter and duvet cover in addition to the fleece blankets.

indigo99
12-16-2013, 04:35 PM
There are space heaters that don't actually get hot, aren't there? We have one that will turn on/off on its own to maintain a set temp. It blows warm air, but it doesn't actually get hot anywhere (on the outside anyway). I'm considering using it for DS1's room because it's 7 degrees colder than the other bedrooms at night. He's the only one who can't keep blankets on so that makes it really tough.

OP, be sure to keep the doors wide open so heat can circulate. If there's a ceiling fan then you may try running it backward. Especially with a skylight, I'm guessing all the warm air is going up by the ceiling.

abh5e8
12-16-2013, 04:40 PM
i would try shutting the vents in the other rooms in their zone, so more of the hot air goes to their room. that really helps at our house. and/or check into adding some insulation to their ceiling.

mikala
12-16-2013, 04:50 PM
You might also try one of those 3m insulation kits on the skylight. But I'm guessing its the lack of insulation around the room as much as or more than the windows. It might be worthwhile to have an energy audit. We had one a few years ago and he identified several areas for cheap and easy improvement and areas where we could qualify for state and federal efficiency rebates.

joonbug
12-16-2013, 06:23 PM
We use space heaters but only during the day as electricity is way cheaper than oil ;). Heat turns on at 5.30 am and turns off by 8. The upstairs bedrooms are cold during day and we warm them up at bedtime, bath, getting dressed. DD sleeps in long sleeves pjs and flannel sheets, medium weight comforter with a thick duvet cover and I usually cover her up with a fleece blanket after she falls asleep. It s been enough and the temps were consistently in the teens/low 20s at night.

mackmama
12-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Our BRs are really cold and drafty. We use extra blankets for ourselves - and a thick sleepsack and fleece footed PJs for 3yo DC. Space heaters make me too nervous in an old home.

essnce629
12-16-2013, 06:28 PM
There are space heaters that don't actually get hot, aren't there? We have one that will turn on/off on its own to maintain a set temp. It blows warm air, but it doesn't actually get hot anywhere (on the outside anyway). I'm considering using it for DS1's room because it's 7 degrees colder than the other bedrooms at night.

We have a space heater like this in DS1's room and I have no worries about using it at all. It doesn't get hot to the touch, has a thermostat, and will shut off on it's own if it's knocked over or if it's covered up by something.

JenChem
12-16-2013, 07:08 PM
I worked with the Medical Examiner's office and saw way too many house fires caused by space heaters to ever consider using one. Add to that a house belonging to a family friend burned down just this year because of a space heater in a child's room (no one was home and Mom swears she turned it off before she left).

If they aren't complaining, I'd consider warmer sheets and pjs, but they may be content.

queenmama
12-16-2013, 07:13 PM
I actually prefer sleeping in a colder room, but I understand... Henry's room is right next to ours but his is always colder in the winter and hotter in the summer.

I would try flannel sheets if they are uncomfortable. A local home burned down yesterday, started by a space heater. I am not a worrier by nature but I have a paranoia about house fires, so I wouldn't take any chances. I'm leery of electric blankets and mattress pads, even.

Lara

Green22
12-16-2013, 10:51 PM
My kids' rooms are freezing. We use fleece Jammie's and with my 3.5 year old lots of blankets. I have an oil space heater that I turn on in the rooms around 6/7 pm, turn on high and close the doors. We have hardwood and I place it in the middle od the room, away from everyzthing. Then when they go to bed I unplug it. I feel like it warms up the room enough to help it be less bitter cold a few hours later. Dd is at the age where she wakes up and comes into our room when she wakes up or is cold, which is frequently as oF late.

I am afraid of electric blankets and the like but they seem like they would be nice.