PDA

View Full Version : Kid friendly entry way furniture/storage/hooks/etc.

echoesofspring
12-16-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm looking for something to put by the front door to start corralling all the stuff that ends up there. I'm thinking maybe a low shelf or bench, with baskets or drawers. And I'd like to put a few kid height hooks for coats, etc. Got any favorites? I've been looking on pinterest, etc. and mostly I'm finding large mudroom storage systems. They look awesome, but we don't have that kind of space. WI'd say I have about a 6 foot long wall to put something up against, we have a nice console table there but it's too 'adult' for our lifestyle right now, no real storage and I've convinced DH we should replace it.

daisyd
12-16-2013, 01:48 PM
I've the same questions as OP and what does everyone do with gloves/mittens?I'll be watching this thread.

wendibird22
12-16-2013, 01:57 PM
We enter through out garage into a small entryway with a door to our laundry room and sliding full closet doors. Very very little wall space. I have a small padded bench with lid that lifts (single seat size) that stores the kids shoes. Above that is a wooden plaque with hooks and we use that for coats and backpacks. In the closet is a hanging organizer with cubbies that holds hats, mittens, scarves, DHs baseball caps, etc. I also have a hanging magazine organizer from The Container Store with a pocket for mail/bills, and one for each kid for activities, school work, etc. It works well for us in that small space.

truly scrumptious
12-16-2013, 02:02 PM
We have this one:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Real-Simple-reg-Split-Top-Bench-Storage-Unit-in-White/201338?Keyword=entryway+bench

We have bins underneath it for storage, and it comes with the option of smaller shelves on the side, which means we can put smaller drawer size bins there to use for smaller stuff, while still having space for a few pairs of shoes under them.

amom526
12-16-2013, 02:04 PM
We dpn't really have room in our entryway, but near the door in the living room I have a generic set of hooks from Target I think and a Stuva storage bench from Ikea. I hung the hooks at a kid friendly level. The stuva bench is big but fits the space I have. I keep fabric bins in the storage bench for each member of the family. I saw another bench recently in a catalog that I liked but can't remember where.

We also have this coat rack for the adult coats and some additional storage: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Mercer-Coat-Rack-w-Shelves-Umbrella-Holder/1041503775?Keyword=coat

acmom
12-16-2013, 02:42 PM
We have this one:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Real-Simple-reg-Split-Top-Bench-Storage-Unit-in-White/201338?Keyword=entryway+bench

We have bins underneath it for storage, and it comes with the option of smaller shelves on the side, which means we can put smaller drawer size bins there to use for smaller stuff, while still having space for a few pairs of shoes under them.

We have that one in our mudroom (but in a dark wood color). We use it for shoes on the bottom and my purse and kids backpacks on top. Not a huge amount of storage space, but is helpful and looks nice. We also have a row of hooks above it for coats. I use an over the door shoe organizer for hats, mittens, scarves (and sunglasses, sunscreen in the summer), etc. in our mudroom too but you probably wouldn't want that in an entry way unless you have a closet that it could be inside bc it does look kind of sloppy. But it holds a lot and works well if you can hide it.

echoesofspring
12-16-2013, 03:30 PM
That BB&B storage bench is a cool design, I love that it has both the shelf and drawer storage. I don't think DH will go for it though in our main hall entry way. I wish I could fit it in the garage entry way/laundry room, but I just measured and I'd need something that was about half the width and not quite as wide. That's really where we need something since we hardly use the front door, but that space is really just a hall with laundry (clearly designed by someone who never had kids or did laundry....)

JanBaby
12-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Have you considered an Expedit from Ikea? It won't work if you want seating space but we have a teeny, tiny entry way into our kitchen from our garage. We do have a small coat closet so I've installed low Command hooks for kids jackets and have a multi-purpose bin on the floor from the Container Store for hats and mittens. Our dining room is right off the kitchen on the other side and I put a 2 x 4 Expedit in there and it has been fabulous. That's where backpacks, the diaper bag, my purse and mine and DH's laptop bags go. Each kid could get a cubby if you wanted and it looks really nice. Tons of storage space.

echoesofspring
12-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Not opposed to the Expedit, but we don't have an ikea near by, so it needs to be something I can purchase online or locally...maybe I'll try to get a knockoff one somewhere

mackmama
12-16-2013, 06:37 PM
RH has a nice entry locker -- you can hang coats, and there are drawers on the bottom for shoes or scarves.

ray7694
12-16-2013, 07:47 PM
I have a bench and a coat rack. I gave in on the ugliness of a coat rack. It holds backpacks and everything. Love it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G2ZKRW/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KrisM
12-16-2013, 07:47 PM
We use Command hooks for jackets. We put pegboard on a wall for things like backpacks. I have a basket for each kid for shoes. We have a mesh shoe holder on the back of the basement door for gloves and hats, etc. We have a small mudroom. It's about 6' x 6', but has 5 doors, so the longest wall space is only 34". This works for us and we manage 5 people's stuff in there okay.

arivecchi
12-17-2013, 11:34 AM
We have coat hooks from Plow and Hearth and cubbies from Amazon. Not expensive and very functional.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9fbNokJk3vE/UWnMI-NPmuI/AAAAAAAAD54/Idat3Xy298A/s512/IMG_4887.JPG