PDA

View Full Version : Would you say anything to friend? Silly issue

ray7694
12-16-2013, 02:11 PM
One of my best friends is really good with fashion. She was raised with all the it items and her mother dresses well. She has three girls and between her and the grandma they always look very cute. So my issue is that she gets irritated anytime someone else has a clothing item or shoe that she has or her girls have. I think it is the most high school thing ever. The other day she commented on how comfortable her new Toms wedgers were so I ordered the same ones but in a different color. My issue is I feel like I shouldn't get something she has because of how she acts. I just old her of my order and she emailed back. Copycat.

Would you say anything and if so what? Would it bother you if someone bought something you have.

boolady
12-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Why did you tell her you got them in the first place? I'd ignore her, but I think that by telling her that you just ordered the same ones when you know she has this issue, you're feeding into it. I wouldn't say anything to her, and I wouldn't be informing her of my clothing/shoes purchases in the future, either. There's no reason to.

BunnyBee
12-16-2013, 02:19 PM
You expected that reply when you told her, didn't you? I'd laugh it off. "Yeah, me and millions of other people!" Toms aren't exactly unique. If you copied every single thing, it would be weird.

elektra
12-16-2013, 02:23 PM
She's ridiculous. I would be flattered if something I had worn inspired someone to get the same thing.
She needs to get over herself. I would not email her what I order for starters. I really do not know what I would say in real life, especially via email as you can't really get a sense of the tone.
I might say, "I didn't know you had exclusivity on Toms purchases."
Some of my friends and I order the same stuff all the time. I feel like it's because we have the same great taste! ;)

ha98ed14
12-16-2013, 02:26 PM
No, I wouldn't bother. She sounds too self absorbed to understand why you find her behavior bothersome. Between her and her daughters, she is dressing 4 females. That's A LOT of clothing to want a monopoly on!

Personally, I couldn't be friend with someone like that-- so concerned with her and her DDs' appearances that she objects to HER FRIENDS having the same styles! What? She doesn't want them to look good? They are supposed to be her friends! It's not as though you copy her entire wardrobe. Just curious, what are her redeeming qualities?

BDKmom
12-16-2013, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't say anything else. I would just chalk it up as one of her quirks. We all have them. It's a strange way for her to act, but if she's a good friend otherwise, I'd let it go. But like PPs, don't specifically mention something you bought like hers since you know it bothers her. And if something similar comes up in the future, I'd just give it a "hmm" and change the subject.

tabegle
12-16-2013, 02:31 PM
I might reply back letting her know she was the reason you ordered them. You liked them, your friend said they were comfortable, why not? To her "copycat" email, I'd probably just say something like, "Well you said they were so comfy, it sounded like and endorsement to me! :)"

alootikki
12-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Let it go, and next time don't mention that you got the same thing.

ray7694
12-16-2013, 02:40 PM
I have been just playing it off for years and it is so dumb. She will make a comment if I tell her or not and we work together.

Momit
12-16-2013, 03:18 PM
In that case I like Elektra's response saying you didn't know she was the only one who could wear Toms. I mean, does she really think she's on the cutting edge wearing shoes millions of people have?!

And I also would not draw attention to the fact that I ordered something I saw her wearing - seems like you are asking for trouble.

crl
12-16-2013, 03:26 PM
I'd say "me and a million other people, huh?" And then I wouldn't ever draw something like that to her attention again. If she commented anyway, I think I'd say something like, "guess you will just have to start getting all your clothes and shoes and bags and jewelry custom made so no one else has the same thing." If she kept at it, I think I'd just start groaning and saying "that old chestnut again?" every time she did it.

Catherine

catsnkid
12-16-2013, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't say anthing to her. If it annoys her too bad. She should be flattered.

janine
12-16-2013, 03:37 PM
I think I probably wouldn't tell her just to not deal or feed into her selfish spoiled behavior. But I would also avoid spending any time with someone like this!

mommylamb
12-16-2013, 03:51 PM
I seriously doubt she's the first person on earth to buy those wedges.

I agree that you should just ignore her about this and don't draw attention if you buy something she has.

Binkandabee
12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't say anything. You basically baited her on this one. She reacted exactly like you knew she would. Don't say anything now and don't share your purchases with her in the future.

Globetrotter
12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Next time she brings it up, I would be tempted to say, in person: "You know, a lot of people wear the brands you like.. for a reason." In the future, DO NOT mention that you bought something after seeing her or her kids wear it.

I'm flattered when my friends copy me, and in fact I actively promote the things I like hoping they will agree with me :)

BabyBearsMom
12-16-2013, 04:24 PM
I seriously doubt she's the first person on earth to buy those wedges.

I agree that you should just ignore her about this and don't draw attention if you buy something she has.

I agree with this. And if she made a comment to me (like calling me a copy cat), i would probably just make a joke about it and move on.

HannaAddict
12-16-2013, 06:48 PM
She is obviously joking. Saying "copycat" is cute and nothing to worry about. It is something friends can do with each other. If I said anything, I'd make a joke back or say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :)