PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Daisy Rock Guitars?

Binkandabee
12-16-2013, 04:26 PM
DD has asked for a guitar for Christmas and I didn't even start looking until a few days ago. She's a beginner, but I'm not fond of buying the cheapest any ol' guitar I can possibly find. I'd like it to be decent enough that if she enjoys it, she can continue to use it, but not so spendy that if she doesn't like it, I'm not out several hundred dollars due to her whim.

My initial research led me to a Baby Taylor or a Little Martin, but even those are a bit much for the budget. I came across a Daisy Rock Pixie guitar for $100.00 that seems ideal, but it's very juvenile looking....so not sure about the quality? She'll love the looks...it's blue with flowers and butterflies on it, but is it a "real" guitar? The reviews online that I can find seem positive, but there are very few.

Reader
12-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Which DD? My almost 8 year old DS has a Baby Taylor, which came recommended from several musicians, and my musician husband approves of it. I'm not familiar with Daisy Rock. I'd probably look for reviews on Amazon & Guitar Center for them.

echoesofspring
12-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Have you spoken to anyone at a local music store? Or online, I've had good luck with the folks at sweetwater and kraft music answering my questions. Sweetwater gets a little spammy though. I would also put the word in at my local music store that I was interested in even a used beginner's guitar, which could be a good way to get a high quality instrument at a price more in your budget... There may be used guitars coming in this time of year as people look to upgrade, etc.

Binkandabee
12-16-2013, 05:38 PM
It's for DD#1 who is 10 years old. I'd really like to get her a Baby Taylor, but it's just not in the budget. The Daisy Rock one I found on craigslist and apart from a single Big Baby Taylor priced at $375.00 is literally the only used child sized guitar in my area...music stores included.

There are some limited reviews on guitar center and amazon that are mostly positive, just thought I'd ask my experts as well :)

Reader
12-16-2013, 06:17 PM
It's for DD#1 who is 10 years old. I'd really like to get her a Baby Taylor, but it's just not in the budget. The Daisy Rock one I found on craigslist and apart from a single Big Baby Taylor priced at $375.00 is literally the only used child sized guitar in my area...music stores included.

There are some limited reviews on guitar center and amazon that are mostly positive, just thought I'd ask my experts as well :)

I'd call around to some local guitar teachers to see what they have if you're still undecided. My son's guitar teacher has many guitars sitting around. I know we didn't pay more than $200 for our Baby Taylor, and we bought it in 2012, so I'm pretty shocked at that price!

larig
12-16-2013, 08:17 PM
I LOVE love LOVE my daisy rock bass. I also have one of their electric guitars. Both hold their tune amazingly well. They're made for women/girls' hands with thin necks, etc. I play bass and guitar and gig with a band. I have a $1500 vintage american made Fender bass and the daisy rock and a couple of other basses to play, and I constantly choose my daisy rock over other fancier, and nicer basses. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to a beginner or seasoned vet. And their customer service is great.

infomama
12-16-2013, 09:47 PM
I just bought a Mahogany Baby Taylor. Dd1 asked for a guitar and I want to learn too so I figured I would buy a quality guitar so I took the plunge. I was seriously considering the Daisy Rock (only because she mentioned "a blue sparkle" guitar) but after spending some time on acoustic guitar forums I went with the Baby Taylor. She will be over the moon.

Binkandabee
12-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks! I'm definitely going to go for it. I just knew you all would know something about this!

Binkandabee
12-18-2013, 12:56 AM
OMG...I picked up the guitar from the lady on craigslist today. I cannot even believe how nice this guitar is for what I paid for it ($70.00). It's the pixie model, it's blue (DD's favorite color), and it came with a gig bag, extra string, and extra pegs. I'm so excited to give this to her!

larig
12-18-2013, 01:47 AM
OMG...I picked up the guitar from the lady on craigslist today. I cannot even believe how nice this guitar is for what I paid for it ($70.00). It's the pixie model, it's blue (DD's favorite color), and it came with a gig bag, extra string, and extra pegs. I'm so excited to give this to her!

That's great! What a fun gift to give.