PDA

View Full Version : Family Xmas gift ? (charity donation related)

AnnieW625
12-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Last year I donated $200, (I think) to Heifer International and told my dad's family (uncle's family, 2 aunts, and my grandma) that I had donated an animal or farm kit to Heifer International. I want to do the same thing charity wise this year as none of the receivers actually need anything physical (other than school photos of my DDs). So my Jr. League's major fundraiser is a film fest in January (Luna Fest--a film fest sponsored by Luna Bars of short films made by women and supports The Breast Cancer Fund, and our local league) and I could do a donation for the same amount or have my maiden family's name in the program for $250.

Would you think that is a weird gift or if I wanted to do another charity gift I should do something more recognizable?

I do not have a sponsorship limit to meet if that would make a difference in anyone's opinions. Plus everyone I would be giving to knows I have a degree in film and have been involved in the Jr. League since 2005 right after I moved to SoCal in 2004.

HannaAddict
12-16-2013, 06:45 PM
I would not donate to my own charity as a gift to someone else. I am very involved with our local family services organization and do diaper drives, donate money, sponsor tables, etc. but for gifting donations, I try and find something the people who are the beneficiaries are into. For my MIL, she loves Best Friends or Humane Society, for others we have done World Vision or Heifer International or an equine fund raiser for abandoned horses. I think it is a bit odd to donate to your own deal, even though there is nothing "wrong" with it, KWIM. My paternal grandmother donated to her Eastern Star deal when my mom died suddenly and very young from cancer, instead of the hospital and cancer related charities we said would be good in lieu of flowers. That is a different situation, but seemed really weird to us.

BunnyBee
12-16-2013, 06:57 PM
I would donate to something that is meaningful to the "recipient."

AnnieW625
12-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks! One of the aunts (my grabdpa's sisters--so my great aunts) is a breast cancer survivor (she was dx. just over a year ago) and the other aunt used to love movies and belonged to a movie club, but I know it is a stretch so I will stick with Heifer or maybe Workd Vision (where my cousin used to work--she worked there during Haiti earthquake aftermath). I first learned about Heifer from one of the aunts as well so that is why I chose it last year, and my only beef with them is the amount of money they spend on advertising their charity. I get mailers from them way too frequently IMHO.

mackmama
12-16-2013, 07:38 PM
I like your gift idea and wouldn't think it was weird. I would be honored knowing the charity was important to you. One year I gave gifts via a charity where a blanket was made from a sheep's wool, and the animal went to a farm of a family in need. The blanket was beautiful, and the gift recipient also received photos of the blanket being made and then yearlong photos of the animal at its new home on the farm. I wish I could remember the name of this charity, but just another idea.

TwinFoxes
12-16-2013, 07:47 PM
I'd be fine with your gift. But if you're choosing between Heifer International, and World Vision, WV has a much better rating. Check out Charitynavigator.org