PDA

View Full Version : Canker Sores

DietCokeLover
12-17-2013, 12:43 AM
I have lived over 40 years without a canker sore, and in the last 6 months, I have had them twice and now feel like I am getting them again. I can't figure out why this is happening or how to make it stop. Anyone know anything?

jam224
12-17-2013, 01:02 AM
I tend to get them during times of stress. My remedy is using alum powder on the canker sore. It stings when applying it, but it definitely makes it heal faster.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-17-2013, 01:08 AM
i only get them when i'm really stressed..e.g. dh traveling &no time to exercise, less sleep, etc. i've gotten them all my life though (since i was a teen). as a student i would always get them during finals.

what helped me is zilactin or whatever it's called, but it burns like heck when you first put it on

KpbS
12-17-2013, 02:35 AM
Anti-tartar toothpastes or whitening toothpastes can cause and aggravate mouth sores due to their abrasive ingredients. I've found that flossing 2x-3x per day (gently) can help canker sores go away faster.

BunnyBee
12-17-2013, 02:58 AM
Toothpastes with SLS can cause or exacerbate them. I bought a toothpaste just for canker sores on amazon called Squigle, then just avoided any with SLS once they were gone. You can swish with Maalox which will coat them and help a little if you don't have Zilactin in the house.

ba_mom
12-17-2013, 03:26 AM
I've had them all my life as well and nothing has really helped for me. Sometimes it's so painful that I tear up when I try to eat. What is worse is when I have a meeting and I can barely talk. I get them when stressed (and who isn't stressed?), hormonal changes, and when there are lacerations inside my mouth (from eating nuts, chips, etc). My whole family gets them except my dad. I've tried prescription, otc meds and really nothing helps except time. It sucks!

Melaine
12-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Stress for me, also a sign of candida (yeast overgrowth....have you been on antibiotics?) there is a mouth wash....peroxyl that helps also just cutting way back on sugar. I had them nonstop for a couple years.

marymoo86
12-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Stress for me, also a sign of candida (yeast overgrowth....have you been on antibiotics?) there is a mouth wash....peroxyl that helps also just cutting way back on sugar. I had them nonstop for a couple years.
This so yogurt will help.

Mermanaid
12-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Changing over from an SLS toothpaste eliminated about 95% of them for me. They are just miserable. DD has started getting them too so I'm going to switch her toothpaste too and see if that helps her.

wendibird22
12-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Well for me it was directly related to gluten consumption but I've suffered from them my entire life. I agree that stress, acidic food, scratchy foods, can cause them as well as vitamin deficiency. You can try L-Lysine to help. Also ask your dentist or PCP to call in a script for Kenalog in Orabase. It's a gritty paste that you apply at night. It gross feeling but it really speeds up the healing process.

DietCokeLover
12-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks everyone. I will start with SLS free toothpaste and see if that helps. This year has been very stressful, but I am actually on the back end of it now. Also, I have not been on antibiotics.
When I had them last month, they were so large and so painful I couldn't eat. I had to drink water out of a straw so I could avoid them.

jerigirl
12-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Stress is a big factor. Look into taking L-lysine when you feel the first twinge of one. Supposedly you can also swish with Maalox or Mylanta and Benadryl. I haven't tried it.

urquie
12-18-2013, 01:30 AM
I've had them all my life as well and nothing has really helped for me. Sometimes it's so painful that I tear up when I try to eat. What is worse is when I have a meeting and I can barely talk. I get them when stressed (and who isn't stressed?), hormonal changes, and when there are lacerations inside my mouth (from eating nuts, chips, etc). My whole family gets them except my dad. I've tried prescription, otc meds and really nothing helps except time. It sucks!

Have you ever used a prescription called Triamcinolone Acetonide dental paste? It is hands down, the best canker sore remedy! For me, once applied, the canker sore immediately stops getting worse and starts to heal. Works best when applied before bed, so it can sit on the sore, undisturbed for a longer period of time. It doesn't sting and it doesn't act like a liquid bandaid. It is a paste and will stay on longer if you can gently dry the area.

?... there is a mouth wash....peroxyl that helps also just cutting way back on sugar.
they make another form called peroxyl gel, that is nice for spot application.

ba_mom
12-18-2013, 02:47 AM
Thanks urquie! I've not heard of it. I've only used lidocaine and kenalog. I will definitely ask my doctor about this.

zukeypur
12-18-2013, 09:11 AM
DH had them really bad this past week. He uses gly-oxide to get rid of them quickly.