PDA

View Full Version : Questions about having a book themed birthday party

fedoragirl
12-17-2013, 08:20 AM
I am planning the invitations for DD's 4th birthday party.
We just received an invitation for no gifts at all. However, I would like DD to receive gifts--I just want them to be books. I have looked it up on Google and they all recommend, "in lieu of gifts," etc. I don't want a book exchange party--just a book themed one with books as presents. How do I word this? Should I write, "Book presents are welcome. Please bring a wrapped book as a present." I don't know. I don't want to demand a gift but I know we'll get them and I would like them to be books. It's a party for 6 kids plus their little siblings.

Piglet
12-17-2013, 09:48 AM
We did a book themed party for DS1's 1st birthday. I wrote a poem as the invite. It said something like, "instead of a toy, DS1 loves to read, please bring a book, your favourite, indeed!" Wow, scary that I can still remember that line 11 years later. We are still enjoying all the books he received. I also made a point of writing the giver's name on the inside of each book so he knew who gave which book. You could do a bookplate and ask people to write something on it and stick in the book.

vonfirmath
12-17-2013, 09:50 AM
1. If you make favorite storybooks the theme of the party, you are likely to get books for gifts

2. If people ask you what they can bring for your child, you can recommend books

fedoragirl
12-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Great idea, Piglet! Thanks.
Unfortunately, no one is going to ask me what to bring. Most people here assume girls play with Barbies and like everything pink. Those are the gifts we are going to get. DD loves books and puzzles. I am dealing with another culture and language here so I have to spell out what I want. DH says that's only way people will get it.