PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the school bus while it is -9 F.

trales
12-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Wow, I kind of wish I were heading somewhere warm for the holidays. I just had to share, as I forgot just how cold -9F was until I stood outside with DD for 10 minutes waiting for the bus. Good thing we have super warm gear, but wow, it was cold. I guess recess is indoors today. I am also glad to have bought the winter package with heated heats on our subaru.

elektra
12-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Holy mother....

MamaMolly
12-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Gulp. I'd be keeping the munchkin home. I'm not built for that kind of weather!

khalloc
12-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Gulp. I'd be keeping the munchkin home. I'm not built for that kind of weather!

Yikes! You'd be missing a good part of the winter then. We had -5 or so this morning at our house in Burlington VT and DH just puts snow pants on the kids and bundles them up when they wait for the bus. The can wait inside until about 5 min before the bus comes.

arivecchi
12-17-2013, 11:00 AM
This is why we wait for the bus in our car. :D

magnoliaparadise
12-17-2013, 11:14 AM
The good news is your kids probably don't know any different so they think it's normal :)
I grew up in cold weather (not as cold as yours, though) and it wasn't until I was about 18 that I realized how insanely cold it was every winter!

wellyes
12-17-2013, 11:18 AM
We're just in the teens here. It's not so bad really. Hat, gloves, parka, ski pants, boots. They think it's fun because they get to tromp around in the snow!
But when it's REALLY cold we drop off to school. Still have to go outside but at least no waiting!

SnuggleBuggles
12-17-2013, 12:03 PM
That's when I drive to the bus stop and keep the car running. I do that anything below 20!

scrooks
12-17-2013, 12:12 PM
This is why we wait for the bus in our car. :D
Ditto this!

scriptkitten
12-17-2013, 12:27 PM
it was 5 degrees this morning and my 5 year old STILL would not admit that it was cold! she's crazy.

hellokitty
12-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Our driveway isn't too long, (about 3 car lengths), so my kids wait in the garage for the bus on days like this. However, yeah, I was wondering the same.exact.thing today. If you have a long driveway or your kids have to wait at a different bus stop, your kids will be popsicles waiting in weather like this!

maestramommy
12-17-2013, 12:41 PM
I had no idea it was that cold this morning! There must be a huge difference in altitude between you and me! But I was freezing my extremities while running at 8:30, then saw later it was 8 degrees. um, explains a lot!

army_mom
12-17-2013, 01:10 PM
The good news is your kids probably don't know any different so they think it's normal :)
I grew up in cold weather (not as cold as yours, though) and it wasn't until I was about 18 that I realized how insanely cold it was every winter!

This is so true for our daughter but in the reverse! She had a tantrum the other day because she couldn't wear flip flops and a sundress to school when it was 16 degrees outside. She has only known warmer weather so this is a rough transition for her....I can't even imagine if we moved to place THAT cold!!

ShanaMama
12-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Wow, I can stop complaining now. It's only about 30 today. But we waited an hour for the bus before I just drove them to school. New bus driver + 1 inch of snow apparently = just don't show. My kids also refuse to bundle up properly. Coats & gloves if I'm lucky. DD2 refused to wear boots today!! & they both refuse to wear hars. DS & I weren't crying from cold- oh, maybe cuz were wearing gloves, boots, hats, etc. I hope my kids learned their lesson this morning or I'm pulling out the I told you so when they come home.

nfowife
12-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Yes it was about -18 up here this morning! Fortunately my kids go to the bus stop by themselves- it's in the driveway of the house directly behind me so all the kids on our street cut through my backyard and I can mostly see the kids at the stop from my kitchen window. It was so cold!! The school does recess as long as it's above 0. Brrrr!

crl
12-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Brrrr.

Catherine

georgiegirl
12-17-2013, 02:54 PM
That's horrible. DD and the neighbor boy wait in my house and they go outside only after the bus passes our house to turn around in the cul-de-sac before coming to our house. I was a bitch with the bus service and refused to have DD wait at the appointed stop because we don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood (acreage) and she would have to walk through two intersections and stand on the side of the road in the snow and wait for the bus.

Rainbows&Roses
12-17-2013, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't let my kids wait outside with negative temps. Exposed skin freezes pretty quickly. There are warnings all over the news when temps get that low here in the upper midwest.

Twoboos
12-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Yikes, I thought it was cold here this morning, it was 7 degrees. You win!

trales
12-17-2013, 04:21 PM
The bus comes to our driveway, which is nice, but when it is cold it is cold. DD does not notice and was really upset she did not get to go outside for recess. By 9:00 it was 8 degrees. DD refused her snow pants, they are only for school she says. I did not fight it, she and dog bounced around the driveway waiting for the bus. 6 more inches of snow on the way.

I am going to take this 8 month pregnant body and attempt to nordic ski Waterville Valley tomorrow. I might as well enjoy the snow and cold while I can.

citymama
12-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Yeeesh! I'm shivering just reading that!

Bundle up and keep lots of hot cocoa on hand for when the kids get home!

Tondi G
12-17-2013, 06:24 PM
I don't think I could handle that kind of cold weather. I am such a weather wimp ... indicative of me being born and raised in Southern California! We got down into the low 40's- high 30's at night recently and I was SO COLD! Of course having the proper gear makes a difference but I can't even imagine below 0 temps!!! My boys are spoiled too by our weather ... they fight simply putting on pants and a hoodie ... most days they wear shorts and t-shirts to school..... if they could wear flip flops/sandals to school they would! Stay warm!