PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Housecleaning Accountability - Feel Free to Join In

lizzywednesday
12-17-2013, 02:03 PM
OK, I found that my holiday housecleaning thread last year really helped me focus & stay accountable, so I am doing another one this year.

It's starting late because I took DD to spend Monday (12/16) in NYC with my brother Joe. We went to the Union Square and Bryant Park Holiday Markets, watched ice skaters at Bryant Park & Rockefeller Center, took photos by the Tree, and peeped at the shop windows at Lord & Taylor, Bergdorff-Goodman, Tiffany's, Cartier, Saks, and Macy's before heading back to NJ at 8pm.

Today (Tuesday, 12/17) is KITCHEN, DINING ROOM/ENTRYWAY, and UPSTAIRS LANDING.

So far, I've scrubbed my stove, wiped down my countertops, and wiped down the cabinet & dishwasher fronts.

KITCHEN:

* clear underneath the table
* clear "island" countertop
* clear & wipe down table
* sweep floor

DINING ROOM/ENTRYWAY:

* clear table
* find places for weird crap that ended up IN the dining room
* sweep floor

UPSTAIRS LANDING:

* re-box outgrown summer clothes
* take off-season appliances upstairs
* take box of DH's crap to garage for him to sort out later (I've waited a year.)

Tomorrow (Wednesday, 12/18) is UPSTAIRS LANDING, MASTER BEDROOM, and DD's BEDROOM.

MASTER BEDROOM:

* strip/remake bed
* launder sheets
* wipe down blinds
* clear my nightstand
* recycle/shred catalogs
* dust nightstands
* dust bed frame
* organize toys
* vacuum floor

DD's BEDROOM:

* make bed
* pick up & toss trash
* toss broken TV/DVD player
* clear dresser
* fold/put away laundered clothes
* move 3-drawer unit into position as nightstand
* set up elephant lamp (recycle box)
* move footstool downstairs for DH

Thursday (12/19) is 3rd FLOOR, WRAP PRESENTS:

3rd FLOOR:

* put all toys back into toy boxes
* sort & organize all foam tiles (ensure we have 2 complete alphabet sets)
* change doorknob on office/closet so DD cannot get in (ask DH to buy new key-lock doorknob)

REHEARSAL FOR CONCERT AT 7pm TONIGHT! (Must be DONE with any/all tasks by 2pm so I can shower & get on the road by 4:45pm.)

Friday (12/20) is WRAP PRESENTS

REHEARSAL FOR CONCERT AT 7:30pm TONIGHT! (Must be DONE with any/all tasks by 2pm so I can shower & get on the road by 4:45pm.)

Saturday (12/21) is DRESS REHEARSAL for Concert.
Sunday (12/22) is CONCERT (performers' call 6:30pm; need to be dressed & on the road by 5:00pm)

Monday (12/23) is grocery store day and packing checklists.
Tuesday (12/24) is DD's speech evaluation. Last-minute packing. Dinner at ILs'.
Wednesday (12/25) is CHRISTMAS!
Breakfast for DD, DH, and me. Clean up wrapping, shower, dress. Host tea party for anywhere between 6-8 adults & 2 children. Dinner with ILs.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-17-2013, 02:33 PM
great idea! we have guests coming to stay in about a week and half, and that's motiviating to get our house totally cleaned up. it's totally a work in progress!

the weekend before christmas will be crazy as i really want to declutter and get rid of a lot of toys to make room for christmas gifts.

this past few days i sold various things (baby items). been averaging $15 a day.

DH is finally cleanign out his office and is taking a huge big box to the goodwill.

lizzywednesday
12-18-2013, 11:02 AM
ACCOMPLISHMENTS - DAY 1:

KITCHEN:

Cleared under table
Cleared most of countertop
Cleaned (scrubbed) stovetop
Wiped down countertops
Cleaned sink
Loaded & ran dishwasher
Tossed more stuff into "DH needs to go through this!" box in garage
Swept floor

DINING ROOM:

Cleared table.
Wiped down table.
Wiped down chairs.
Threw out miscellaneous craft crap.
Threw out miscellaneous "IDK what this is" crap
Swept floor

ENTRYWAY:

Picked up scattered trash.
Swept floor.

Sorted laundry on now-clean floor.

TODAY (12/18) is UPSTAIRS DAY.

KrisM
12-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Great idea! I started last week.

Last Thursday, I cleaned both boys rooms. I cleared out outgrown clothes, moved furniture to vacuum, etc. Friday, I did DD's room and our bedroom. All are still looking nicely picked up.

Monday, I did a big pick up in the family room, cleaned the dining room, and the entry hallway.

Today:
Play room
-pick up toys
-take some toys to basement
-vacuum
-dust

kitchen:
- clear off counter
- wipe cabinet fronts
-spot clean floors

dining:
sweep
move out some empty boxes
dust piano
wipe down chairs

Friday I'll do the bathrooms. Next Monday I'll go over everything and wash floors, doors, etc. People are coming on Tuesday!

lizzywednesday
12-18-2013, 01:02 PM
I am VERY thankful that I did my guest bath not long ago - the tub was starting to gross me out - but DD can help me with the powder room and mopping floors on Monday, which is pretty much all I've got planned cleaning-wise for next week.

If I'm really nice, I can clean the Master Bath, but DH usually handles that, so I really don't need him to feel even more unappreciated.

lizzywednesday
12-19-2013, 12:21 PM
OK, day 2 is COMPLETED.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:

UPSTAIRS LANDING:

* carried all outgrown clothes & bins to 3rd floor closet
* took all "beach house" stuff to 3rd floor
* stored box fan in 3rd floor closet
* laundered random canvas bags & backpacks for storage in LE bag on 3rd floor landing
* threw away all trash

MASTER BEDROOM:

* shoveled toys out from under the bed
* put toys into toy box
* found 3 pairs of flip-flops; will take one pair to AZ for shower
* threw out all trash
* re-lined wastebasket
* dusted corner & moved power strips
* slid 2-bin hamper into odd space between dresser & wall to free more floor space
* changed DD's sheets on crib mattress
* collected random puzzle, DUPLO, and magnetic paper doll pieces

TODAY (12/19) is ERRANDS. I can clean DD's room tomorrow as long as I get today's list (of stuff for DH!) done.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-20-2013, 01:14 AM
wow awesome. i have done very little cleaning :bag been so busy with work, etc. but with the help of DH we sold 2 baby items on CL/FB today and made $170!!! So that's more $$ and less clutter in our house!! now i need to sell DD's crib.

lizzywednesday
12-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Oh Ms. P! Don't feel head-baggy!

I've only done as much as I have this week because I've been off work and I sent DD to school so I would be able to get things done.

I think I felt guilty about that last year for about 5 seconds. This year? Not a whit.

SnuggleBuggles
12-20-2013, 01:31 PM
I've had a party per week here since Thanksgiving so I've stayed on top of things!

♥ms.pacman♥
12-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Oh Ms. P! Don't feel head-baggy!

I've only done as much as I have this week because I've been off work and I sent DD to school so I would be able to get things done.

I think I felt guilty about that last year for about 5 seconds. This year? Not a whit.

thank you for this!! really. i think we are going to send the kids on 30th and 31st. so i can work half a day and/or do something with DH (who is not working at the moment). I almost feel guilty i DONT feel guilty about it, lol!!

azzeps
12-23-2013, 01:17 AM
What? I'm supposed to clean my house AND get all the Christmas Crap done AND go to work? Something's gotta give. Oops. It already did.

lizzywednesday
12-23-2013, 10:55 AM
What? I'm supposed to clean my house AND get all the Christmas Crap done AND go to work? Something's gotta give. Oops. It already did.

LOL … I hear you!

The only time my house gets cleaned is when I have vacation & send DD to school. (I also work FT.)

Sad, but totally true.

I did A LOT last year, so there's actually not as much to do this year, despite me needing to dedicate days to it.