PDA

View Full Version : Pertussis vaccine for grandparents?

TwoBees
12-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Do grandparents need the pertussis vaccine/booster before a newborn arrives? My mom will be staying with us for a few weeks after DD2 arrives, and I'm wondering if she needs it.

Thanks!

Sweetsunshine
12-17-2013, 02:17 PM
I think so just in case. My mom got one last year when my nephew was born. She's 68.

lizzywednesday
12-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Do grandparents need the pertussis vaccine/booster before a newborn arrives? My mom will be staying with us for a few weeks after DD2 arrives, and I'm wondering if she needs it.

Thanks!

CDC recommends all adults & children coming into contact with infants get the DTap (kids) or Tdap (adults) or Boostrix (adults 65+) per this chart here:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pertussis/recs-summary.htm

I say if she's willing, have her get her booster now.

kaharris83
12-17-2013, 02:31 PM
My parents got it both times we had newborns in the house.

Piglet
12-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Isn't that the one they recently found sheds? If so, make sure that anyone getting vaxed does it a while before they arrive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/26/health/study-finds-vaccinated-baboons-can-still-carry-whooping-cough.html?_r=0

scrooks
12-17-2013, 02:47 PM
My inlaws both got it this summer with the arrival of ds2.

georgiegirl
12-17-2013, 02:50 PM
I've been begging DH for over 6 months to get the ILs vaxed for it (they live in town), but he hasn't. I'm pretty annoyed.

AnnieW625
12-17-2013, 02:52 PM
My mom got it in 2010 or 2011 when there was a whopping cough outbreak in CA and DD2 was either an infant or not quite a year old. I got it around the same time as well.

JBaxter
12-17-2013, 03:46 PM
If they are out of date you could ask. Until I heard it on this board no one had ever suggested even when I had Jack to get everyone vaccinated. ( he's 5) But in light of the fact you can be a silent carrier I wouldn't push the extra vaccine on anyone.

mommylamb
12-17-2013, 03:56 PM
But in light of the fact you can be a silent carrier I wouldn't push the extra vaccine on anyone.

According to one study of baboons as subjects that is yet to be replicated in people.

And even if that study can be generalized to humans and replicated, for their own health, it makes sense to be up to date.

lilycat88
12-17-2013, 03:58 PM
As the mom of an infant who was hospitalized for a week with pertussis at 3 months old and almost certainly got it from an adult in his life, I'd say yes.

kwc
12-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Isn't that the one they recently found sheds? If so, make sure that anyone getting vaxed does it a while before they arrive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/26/health/study-finds-vaccinated-baboons-can-still-carry-whooping-cough.html?_r=0

Just wanted to clarify, though it is _incredibly unclear/ misleading_ from the NYT article, the vaccine is an acellular bacterial protein vaccine and getting vaccinated does not cause one to shed pertussis (unlike a live viral vaccine like oral polio or even varicella).

In the study cited, the researchers took (acellular vaccine) vaccinated baboons and deliberately exposed them to pertussis, and found that some of the baboons did not get sick but were found to carry pertussis in their throats for some time (silent carriers) which can lead to transmission in the unvaccinated. This was compared to previously infected animals and those vaccinated with whole cell vaccines (which have been long known to have superior immunity but have unacceptable side effects).
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/11/20/1314688110

So while the current vaccine does not offer the immunity hoped for, one will get or transmit pertussis without being exposed to pertussis itself. And one has to think that someone actively hacking and coughing will be spewing more airborne bacteria than a potential silent carrier.

Piglet
12-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the clarification. It was incredibly unclear from that article!

kwc
12-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the clarification. It was incredibly unclear from that article!

No worries Piglet! I was super confused when I read it too!!! If I had more energy, I'd write to the NYT... the science writer should certainly know better!!!

brittone2
12-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Yeah, it doesn't shed, but there have been several studies over the years indicating concern about "asymptomatic reservoirs" of pertussis. With or without the vaccine, it is good to keep sick people away from babies, although clearly that's no guarantee. Not everyone presents with classic, obvious whooping, etc. so vaccinated or not, I'd make sure sick visitors keep their distance.

ChristinaLucia
12-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Just an FYI my ped who is pro-vax doesn't think it is effective anymore. Our entire family got pertussis and 3 of the adults had previously had the booster within a couple of years. If someone is in any way sick or comes down with a cough I wouldn't let that person near the baby. I would tell out-of-towners that also. I told my in-laws not to bother coming as they always get sick on the plane and I am super protective until they are at least 6 months old.

Edited to add - just an FYI that I wouldn't dismiss a coughing visitor just because they had the shot.