PDA

View Full Version : How many gifts per kid?

janine
12-17-2013, 02:58 PM
From you (or Santa)? DD2 is 2 so first time she is paying attention, so trying to keep it even. DD1 had more (since she has no issue asking for specfics!) so just bought more for DD2 and now wondering if I over did it!
How many each do you buy - not including stocking.

georgiegirl
12-17-2013, 03:06 PM
My kids are each getting one Santa gift (big lego set) and the stocking is from Santa. We are getting them a hat, a blanket, and a camera each (DDs is our old point and shoot, and DS is getting the fisher price one that was on sale for $15). They might each get a game too (apples to apples and sequence). Together they are getting some magnatiles and magformers. However, they are also getting presents from family, (1) dad and stepmom, (2) mom and stepdad, (3) my sister and her family, (4) BIL (bachelor), and (5) the ILs. Pretty much all of those gifts are things I asked for. Fortunately, they won't all be opened on Christmas morning. That's just way too many presents. And I have to wrap them ALL!!!!!!! So. Sorry I can't answer your question, but I try to make it equitable between my kids.

ETS: totally didn't mention DS2 since he will be 4 months. I have a few things for him, but I need to find some old stuff from the basement that the other kids don't remember and wrap it up.

SnuggleBuggles
12-17-2013, 03:07 PM
1 from Santa and maybe 6-10 from is each.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-17-2013, 03:12 PM
we typically do a couple stocking stuffer (a train and some crayons), one Santa gift, and then one gift from us. this year Santa is bringing Magnatiles (each kid get 100pc set + smaller 20-50pc set). doesn't sound like much but they get sooo much stuff from family as it is (grandparents on both sides, and aunts/uncles, BIL/SIL, etc) and i don't think i can stand to have more stuff in the house. plus DS birthday is 2 weeks after Christmas. also, it gets overwhelming for my kids. in the past i would hide 1 or 2 gifts to open few days later

eta: forgot to include books. so i guess each kid gets a toy from us plus a couple books.

Tenasparkl
12-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Too many. I thought that I was better this year, and then I just went through my lists. Looks like we'll be holding some stuff for bdays.

khalloc
12-17-2013, 03:25 PM
I go overboard. Every year I try not to and then I end up doing it without meaning to

This year, so far DS is getting:
Ninendo 3DS XL
2 3DS games
large lego Ninjago set
small lego star wars set
LL Bean LED Lantern
Rainbow Loom
ET Movie
2 books
Foil Art kit

I'll probably buy him 1 or 2 little arts and crafts sets.

DD is getting:
bike
LLBean Lantern
Lego Friends Heartlake High
Lego friends Bakery
Rainbow Loom
Despicable Me 2 movie
American girl craft
Garnet Hill Skirt
paperback book
paint by number craft
pet fashion sketch
makeup sketch
American Girl dog

And thats just from us (well Santa) We do most gifts from Santa. Clothes and boring stuff from Mom and Dad.

We also have my parents and brother who buy for them, DH's parents, and DH's 3 sisters who buy for the kids. Its a little insane.

TwinFoxes
12-17-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm almost afraid to write down…but here goes:

Combined gift:

Telescope
This doll: http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Life-As-School-Girl-Doll-African-American/29047000

DD1:
Stargazing book
Knit beanie
Cozy gilet from Boden
Boy Bitty Twin
Geotrax
Russian Stacking dolls (asked for MULTIPLE times, I have no idea why)
Blue Fijit Friend (thanks BBB Amazon thread!)

DD2:
Dinosaur book
Knit beanie
Cozy gilet from Boden
"Beast" doll from Beauty and the Beast
Darda race cars and tracks
Russian Stacking dolls (again, I have no idea what's up with this)
Pink Fijit Friend (thanks BBB Amazon thread!)

So, compared to my usual spending extravaganza, that's pretty good. The big santa gifts are the telescope, Bitty Twin, School Girl doll, race track and geotrax. For the mommy/daddy gifts, I tried to stick with read, wear, need, want. Needed a beanie, wear the gilet, want the stacking dolls, read the books. The Fijits were bonus. :)

Of course there's the haul from grandma and ILs.

ahisma
12-17-2013, 03:44 PM
More than we probably should.

From us they get 4: Want / Need / Wear / Read. That doesn't feel excessive, "want" is really the only toy. That's all wrapped except for "wear" - waiting for school pride gear to arrive.

From Santa they get 3 each, and I usually add on a few Santa things. DS1 is getting a Robosapien, a Darda track and a spirograph. DS2 is getting 2 Switch N Go Dinos, a Rescue Bot and a giant stuffed panda. Together they're getting the Lego castle set - which they've shown zero interest in but should like. I got the littlebits set for the family to work on together.

My teen is getting an anime book set and 2 pairs of PJ pants from Santa...and I'm not sure what else. She's tough! She got her list to me super late and everything on it ships from Japan. Umm...not going to work kiddo!

o_mom
12-17-2013, 03:45 PM
We have cut way back the last couple of years.

They will have one group gift from Santa and probably 2-3 individual things from DH and I. They will also have two things from their siblings (from Five Below) and stockings (small stuff, < $20 total, not wrapped).

janine
12-17-2013, 03:47 PM
So far I have 7 each. Not including stockings where there are mini gifts. This seems like a lot to me (and you know might slip a few more in there!) but I feel better reading others' lists! :)

Twoboos
12-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Too many. Once I count I'm sure I'll be holding stuff back. I do it every year...

specialp
12-17-2013, 04:02 PM
10-11 total + stocking. 3 are from Santa; the rest from us.

IansMom
12-17-2013, 04:15 PM
I only have DS but this year we will wake up at my sister's home. Together, we have three boys under 5. Each boy has seven gifts to unwrap. Two items are left unwrapped. I doubt if the stockings will be even, but I don't think they will care/notice.

buttercup
12-17-2013, 04:19 PM
We have such a big age gap between our two, and there is also zero rivalry, so I don't try to keep it even at all. He is nine and is getting 5 (all pretty pricey IMO) gifts, she is two and getting around 4 much less expensive items. The magnatiles are the most $$ gift for her. "Toys" for 9 year kids are expensive!!

Aishe
12-17-2013, 04:19 PM

Combined gift:

Telescope
This doll: http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Life-As-School-Girl-Doll-African-American/29047000

DD1:
Stargazing book
Knit beanie
Cozy gilet from Boden
Boy Bitty Twin
Geotrax

DD2:
Dinosaur book
Knit beanie
Cozy gilet from Boden

So, compared to my usual spending extravaganza, that's pretty good. The big santa gifts are the telescope, Bitty Twin, School Girl doll, race track and geotrax. For the mommy/daddy gifts, I tried to stick with read, wear, need, want. Needed a beanie, wear the gilet, want the stacking dolls, read the books. The Fijits were bonus. :)

My dc play with their Russian stacking dolls a lot!

ang79
12-17-2013, 04:33 PM
So far I have 7 each. Not including stockings where there are mini gifts. This seems like a lot to me (and you know might slip a few more in there!) but I feel better reading others' lists! :)

I think we have 7-8 gifts per kid total (not including small, inexpensive stocking stuffers). Santa usually gives a combined gift (game) and one or two gifts (the ones they wanted the most), the rest are from DH and us. It feels like a lot when I sit down to start wrapping, but my girls (age 7 and 5) are very easy to please and don't pick big, pricey things that they want. The most expensive gifts this year are $25 Lego Friends sets. All DD1 really wanted was the lego horse trailer set and rainbow loom bands, and DD2 really wants prehistoric sea animals (Safari Toob set) and a protoceratops dinosaur (small set from Toys R Us). In addition to toys we usually do a few family games, a book for each, and 1-2 clothing items they want or need. Glad they are this easy to please, I hope that lasts awhile!

Binkandabee
12-17-2013, 04:39 PM
All of the girls "fun" gifts are from Santa. I wrap pajamas and and some clothes under the tree from us.

Here's what he's bringing each DD:

DD#1 (10)

Guitar
Etch a sketch
Pandora bracelet clips
DS game
Perplexus
Dinosaur Lego set
Skylander Wii Game and some figures
Disney Infinity Game and some figures
Schleich figurines (large fighting elephant and a fairy treehouse plus some small figurines0

DD#2 (5)

Princess Bike
Calico Critters car, camper and 2 families
Etch a Sketch
Kidijamz keyboard
Jasmine Tiara (specific request)
Minnie Mouse puzzle (specific request)
I spy eagel eye game

Simon
12-17-2013, 04:53 PM
From us, 4-6 items plus stockings. I don't usually formally designate things as from Santa. We use the read/want/wear/need pattern for the kids and each other and I usually keep it to 1 item per category except read which might have several books. Grandparents are another story and they can go a bit overboard some years.
Ds1: Beyblades + stadium, chore chart + timer, PJs, Harry Potter book 1
Ds2: Playmobil Ambulance and a small Lego firefighter set, swim belt + rope, PJs, 911 board book
Ds3: new wood puzzles + puzzle box, swim belt, PJs, ??? (book)

BabyBearsMom
12-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Since my girls are pretty close together in age, I make sure that they are getting exactly the same things. Each child receives 1 gift from Santa and 1 gift from us for Christmas. For Hannukah (we do both) they each get a pair of pajamas, a pair of slippers, a movie and a book.

cvanbrunt
12-17-2013, 05:11 PM
I just wrote it all down today. We are moving soon so I really reigned it in. I have five gifts for each of them and one of them, plus the stocking, will be from Santa.

AnnieW625
12-17-2013, 05:18 PM
DD1 gifts (all bought on sale from Amazon Lego sale in Sept., Costco for the lego organizer, or Cyber Monday):
Lego Friends Camper van set
Lego Friends Olivia's House
Lego Friends organizer set
Marie Grace book set
Marie Grace masquerade mask
Marie Grace fancy coat

DD1 stocking:
cute star l/s tee shirt from Target
2 Our Generation mini dogs (they were $2 a piece)
candy (Dh is in charge of this so no clue)
DH's stocking stuffers (again no clue)
(I will probably make the books from Santa and put them next to her stocking)

DD2 gifts (all bought on Cyber Monday):
Bitty Baby
Bitty Baby ballerina outfit
Catwoman Barbie doll (think 1960s TV Catwoman)

DD2's stocking:
Despicable Me Minion tee shirt
Pinkalicious Christmas book
2 Our Generation mini dogs
DH's candy
DH's stocking stuffers

So it looks like I have kept it pretty price wise, and for DD1 I could save a Lego set for her birthday in April, but price wise I am within a few $ of what I spent for DD2 who asked for way less. I have no idea what will be from Santa and what will be from us as we open all of our gifts on Christmas morning.

brittone2
12-17-2013, 05:25 PM
As they get older, there is usually one bigger item and a few smaller. I don't really try to keep it "even" much anymore. DS2 I don't think really notices, and DS1 and DD are old enough to realize one bigger item is more expensive than many smaller items. Once they open their presents we are doing a little scavenger hunt and ending with an announcement that we're going to Disney in several weeks.

joonbug
12-17-2013, 05:44 PM
DD (4) is getting a Kidcraft dollhouse as a Santa gift. She actually asked for a Barbie doll (we have 2 and she wanted a third one so Daddy can play too lol) but she is getting it from Santa at her school Christmas party on Friday. Other things: CC dog family, CC baby playhouse, CC baby set, CC car, Kitty keyboard, stamp set and Playmobil victorian house. DH also got her a Barbie car. Seems like a lot to me but she really doesnt get toys apart from birthday and Christmas..

MommyAllison
12-17-2013, 05:57 PM
We do the wear, read, want, need gifts for each, they each get an ornament and a pair of pajamas as well, and that's usually it other than stockings. This year they are getting a set of Magnatiles as a group gift, too.

essnce629
12-17-2013, 06:22 PM
We travel to my grandmother's house (1.5 hours away) every Christmas Eve and stay for 1-2 days so have to bring ALL our gifts with us! Last year each kid ended up with 8 gifts each from us, plus 1 Santa gift each. We each take turns unwrapping gifts one at a time and 8 ended up being too many since they got another 8+ gifts from family members. This year I'm trying to stick to 5 wrapped gifts each. BUT I'll wrap like items together. Like both kids love reading and are getting several books from us. I will wrap all the books together instead of wrapping them individually.

crl
12-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Depends on how you count. ;). They are each getting four books, wrapped as one package. Then they are each getting two more things from us. (Dd is getting thre pairs of new pjs wrapped as one gift and a pair of pretty rain boots. Ds is getting a framed picture of his baseball team and a pin art toy.) They are each getting one "big" thing from Santa. (Dd is getting a big wooden castle and ds is getting a very expensive baseball bat he wants.) Then a bunch of stocking stuffers.

Catherine

KLD313
12-17-2013, 07:09 PM
I didn't count but I have a lot of things. Way too many things. I think I could do Christmas for my kids and someone else's kids and they all would still get too much.

This was supposed to be an easy Xmas because I had the loving family doll house from last year that I didnt give DD so i figured this year I would get the furniture for it and be done. Yeah, then I got sucked into that kohls sale and I went to TRU on thanksgiving and filled a cart and then some, then I got sucked into more amazon stuff. I still bought a bunch of stuff for the doll house, too. I have a problem. Oh and I still have stuff from her birthday that I was saving. Ugh. I need to return the TRU stuff.

DS has way less but enough for a 15 mo old, more than enough

She probably has over 20 things and he maybe has 10 or more.

Katigre
12-17-2013, 07:56 PM
One per kid (really!). They get stockings at each grandparent and gifts from assorted grandparents/aunts/uncles so they end up with a nice haul. It would be overkill if we also got them a bunch of stuff.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

anonomom
12-17-2013, 08:49 PM
We'd been trying hard to keep things small this year, with one Santa present and one present from us for each kid, but a few other things have crept in:

DD1:
Lego Dolphin Cruiser
FurReal Friends cat
two books about Japan

DD2:
LaLaLoopsy littles doll (Lightening deal)
LaLaLoopsy scooter (lightening deal)
LaLaLoopsy Pillow doll -- She's been asking for this doll since before last Christmas, but I couldn't find it in stock anywhere until last week. This might end up waiting for her birthday in February.
American Girl fairy dress/costume/fancy boots for Cecile.

DS:
Hess truck
Set of three small construction trucks

The big downfall is stocking stuffers. I collect small toys on clearance all year and always end up with too many things. So far, I have mini RC cars, hex bugs, ball-and-cup toys, some finger puppets and a few other things I can't remember. Whatever doesn't fit in their stockings will become Easter basket filler.

crayonblue
12-17-2013, 08:56 PM
One from us and one from each other. DD1 is getting a box of Justice pj's (I think 4 sets?) from us and earrings from her sister. DD3 is getting a blonde girl Bitty Twin from us and the M&D felt sandwich set from her sister. They'll get more stuff from my mom and DH's parents. We decided to go very low-key this year. I'm giving DH Armani Code cologne and the girls are giving him a travel cologne pen.

lalasmama
12-17-2013, 09:13 PM
We're not even in numbers. But to be fair, DD1 and DD2 are adults, and DD3 is still young (9.5yo), so we just give the older two money. DD3 is getting... An AG doll, Rainbow Loom, Oregon Ducks character hat, a book, and a new fleece blanket, so 5 things from us. (The rest of her list is being bought by family--she asked for a digital camera, which grandpa bought, and a Ducks sweatshirt, which an auntie asked to buy her. Good thing they both wanted to buy those presents, because, OMG, those 2 things would have added another $100 or so!)

kristac
12-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Counting it up now- 1 from Santa, 4 from us (want, need, play (board game), read), 1 from inlaws, 3-4 from grands, 4 from great grands. So 13-14ish each times 3 kids. I purchase/ wrap all the gifts except the 1 from the inlaws. Better get wrapping!

AngelaS
12-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Mine get three gifts from us and stockings. We don't do Santa.

They also get one from each set of grandparents and three aunts. So about 6-7 gifts each.

maestramommy
12-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Our general policy is one each, then sometimes we do a group gift. Like this year we are giving them magnatiles, as are SIL and MIL. We also put fun little nothings (candy, orange, whatevers) in their stockings.

jgenie
12-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Can I ask which telescope you bought? Did they ask for a telescope? Trying to figure out a gift for DS1. I had thought of a telescope but it's not something he asked for. TIA

Combined gift:

Telescope

DD1:
Stargazing book
Knit beanie
Cozy gilet from Boden
Boy Bitty Twin
Geotrax

DD2:
Dinosaur book
Knit beanie
Cozy gilet from Boden

mommylamb
12-17-2013, 10:31 PM
DS1
From Santa: Skylander Swapforce starter kit for xbox360

From us:
Apples to Apples Jr. game
Diary of a Wimpy Kid DVD box set
Star Wars I-III DVDs (the newer ones, not the good ones)
gloves
snow bib
camo cargo pants (he really wants camo pants and I have never been into dressing kids in military clothes, but I am giving in as this is a gift he has asked for)

From DS2: Diary of a Wimpy Kid book 3

From MIL (I purchased these and she will pay me back when she visits in the Spring): large Hobbit lego set, Manchester United soccer ball

DS2
From Santa: inflatable reindeer thing that you bounce on http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHRI04E/ref=oh_details_o02_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From us:
Dr. Seuss ABC book
Press Here book
Toot Toot Beep Beep book
mittens
snow bib
bath toys

From DS1: Elmo DVD

From MIL: toy grocery cart

I feel like DS2 is being short changed, but he's only 22 months old and he doesn't know the difference. And he needs nothing, so I keep telling myself it's ok. MIL told me to spend up to $65 on each kid from her. I went slightly over for DS1, but I only spent $30 from her on DS2, so feeling badly about that. But I just can't think of anything else to get for him after ceding gifts to my parents too.

Both will get stocking stuffers too, but I honestly can't even remember what I'm putting in them this year.

iaam
12-17-2013, 10:57 PM
Two kids. From Santa: 6 individual gifts each + 2 to share + stocking stuff. 1 each from my parents and 2 each from my brother + SIL. We aren't Christian and celebrate Christmas purely for the cultural, fun aspect, so other family members don't do gifts. Nothing from us for the same reason.

icunurse
12-17-2013, 11:15 PM
We have never counted presents or even tried to match the number. I feel like doing that encourages problems. And now that DS is older, I wouldn't even try. He is getting an xbox 360 and a controller. DD is getting the AG doll from last years sale, an AG set, and several other little things. Each kid buys a gift for the other. Santa is also bringing an uneven number of gifts.

California
12-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Thanks to this board we started the tradition of one santa gift, simple stocking (a couple of trinkets and underwear and socks as that is DH's tradition) and then something you want/need/wear/read a few years ago. This year I read this "reclaiming advent" website and one of the things they point out is most people don't even remember what they get for Christmas, so why put so much emphasis on gifts? I mentioned this to DD1. Well, she can remember every gift. Perfectly. For the kids, narrowing down their choices makes for much more thoughtful requests and gifts. We do an even number between the kids. DH's family tradition is to watch each person open their gifts. (In my family, it's a free for all.) So we keep it even to make sure each kid gets a turn in each round.

I'm thankful to whoever introduced the need/want/read/wear idea on here. It's been very good for our family.

As for gifts from other people, we have a big family so I'm afraid to add it up! My DS told me this year he didn't really want presents from everyone as he's worried about the environmental impact. So we're encouraging "experience" gifts this year.

klwa
12-18-2013, 07:48 AM
1 (big) gift from Santa plus the stockings.

Whatever else I buy is from us, but I try to keep it reasonable. I think they'll each have 4 things to unwrap from us this year.

KrisM
12-18-2013, 08:45 AM
I have more than usual this year. Usually it seems they want something on the bigger or more expensive side, but this year the most I spent on any 1 item was $35. And their lists had quite a few smaller types of things on them. So, they each have 3 from Santa and 8 from us. They will also have 4 things from my family and 3 from DH's. Neither of our families go crazy, so it's easier for me to do a little more.

lcarlson90
12-18-2013, 07:15 PM
My kids are each getting 2 presents from Santa and 1 present from us. We usually do more but the gift from us is an ipod touch so that's already a lot.

elephantmeg
12-18-2013, 09:10 PM
I just wrapped today which is the big "what did I buy" moment!

DS has 5 toys and 3 books-he's almost 8
lego minecraft
lego ninjago
lego treehouse
lego christmas set (free with a certain amount-black friday)
expansion set for the snap circuits he got last year (DH is so excited to play with them too!)
books: lego idea book, lego yoda chronicles, the way things work
do you think he likes legos?

DD-5 almost 6
origami owl necklace
marie grace AG from the deal earlier this year ($42)
marie grace books/mini doll from costco
rainbow loom, book, storage container (black friday at michaels)
2 small lego sets that I ordered today when I realized I was going to be spending the rest of Christmas helping her with the rainbow loom if she didn't have a toy! She is crafty so I hope that with enough youtube videos she'll get it (she can cross stitch and knit so she should be OK, right???)
a set of handmade hairclips that I got cheap from a friend
she will get a doll party set and a canopy for her bed from my brother
my parents aren't doing presents this year so she'll get some stuff from the IL's and BIL/SIL and my grandma but that's it

123LuckyMom
12-18-2013, 09:51 PM
My mother really goes overboard with gifts at every possible occasion. They also get gifts from my sister, my aunt, their godmother, and various other friends and relations. We try to keep it simple. Santa does stockings, though I don't really emphasize Santa, so I don't know if my kids really think he comes. He's getting them light up Christmas ornament necklaces, an indoor snowball fight kit divided between the two, some candy (a rarity in our house), and for DS (by special request whispered in prayer) a jar of Dole mandarin oranges in fruit juice. He got them once in a restaurant, and they became the holy grail of food for him. He saw them one time in the supermarket and hasn't stopped begging since. Maybe Santa will bring him two jars. Santa is very generous, after all!

This year we're starting a family tradition of doing a present for each of the kids on Epiphany/Three Kings Day. We really try to celebrate Christmas throughout the Christmas season, and the Three Kings party and presents are a part of my husband's culture. For Christmas Day, from us, DS is getting a marble run. DD's getting a drum. For Three Kings DD is getting a counting cookies cookie jar, and DS is getting a cash register. (DD's big present for Christmas will be a play kitchen with a ton of accessories, food, etc. That will be from Gran.)

We are also taking DS to the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center and both kids to see the tree and windows.