PDA

View Full Version : Where can I bring a 4yo to get a flu shot?

YouAreTheFocus
12-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Are there any retail type places that accept this age? We are traveling soon and can't get into the ped's. Thanks.

Binkandabee
12-17-2013, 04:21 PM
We took our DDs to an walk-in urgent care facility.

Radswd
12-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Try an urgent care clinic. I had great success with Carespot for my boys. They will even give to 6 mo old. They do not/cannot bill insurance for it though bc they are urgent care. It was $30 each. Well worth it for me bc I had been searching everywhere for the thimerosal version, which they had.

mommylamb
12-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Is there some reason that a CVS won't give a flu shot to a young child? I have no idea because I've always had my kids just go to their ped for it. But I've never seen an age restriction at any of those places. Even grocery stores often do them.

I've always been an avid flu shot supporter, but my opinion on this is forever cemented. About a week ago, the father of one of my best friends died from complications associated with the flu. I know this happens, but I never thought I would know someone that it happened to. It is so sad. He never bothered to get a flu shot.

Radswd
12-17-2013, 04:36 PM
When I called around, these places did have some sort of age restriction, but I can't remember the age, though. My hospital does a family clinic for employees & age is 8, I believe.

YouAreTheFocus
12-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the urgent care suggestions--trying to find one of those now.

Yes, it appears there are age restrictions regarding administering vaccines at retail locations. Idk if this is state or federal or what. I had no idea! I called Safeway and they take age 5 and up, while Walgreen's rule was 7 and up.

sariana
12-17-2013, 05:08 PM
I took DD to Rite-Aid when she was 4, but that was last year. I don't know if guidelines have changed. I took her there at age 3, also.

BabyBearsMom
12-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Hmmm, our CVS does it for 2 and up, I saw it on a sign last time I was there.

BabbyO
12-17-2013, 05:17 PM
If you can't find an Urgent care, our local clinics and hospitals often have clinics set up for the flu shot this time of year.

Walgreen's says the age is 2 and up, but age restrictions may vary by state. I get the feeling you are in a state that restricts the age for flu shots at commercial locations.

Aishe
12-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Is there some reason that a CVS won't give a flu shot to a young child? I have no idea because I've always had my kids just go to their ped for it. But I've never seen an age restriction at any of those places. Even grocery stores often do them.

I've always been an avid flu shot supporter, but my opinion on this is forever cemented. About a week ago, the father of one of my best friends died from complications associated with the flu. I know this happens, but I never thought I would know someone that it happened to. It is so sad. He never bothered to get a flu shot.

I think it depends on whether or not the store has a walk-in clinic. I was able to get my 4yo a flu shot at a CVS with a clinic, but none of the regular pharmacies would do it. They all referred me to the one CVS with a clinic. It was a great experience - just in and out in a matter of minutes. And they billed our insurance so we weren't charged anything.

YouAreTheFocus
12-17-2013, 06:51 PM
I think it depends on whether or not the store has a walk-in clinic. I was able to get my 4yo a flu shot at a CVS with a clinic, but none of the regular pharmacies would do it. They all referred me to the one CVS with a clinic. It was a great experience - just in and out in a matter of minutes. And they billed our insurance so we weren't charged anything.

Yeah, the clinic part seems to be key. None of our pharmacies have clinics. Here's some info I found:

"But different state laws regulate whether retailers can vaccinate children, so it’s worth checking on those restrictions before bringing the kids to get immunized. For instance, at retail clinics, which are generally staffed by nurse practitioners, infants as young as 18 months can get vaccinated, but if the drug store or supermarket only has a pharmacy, many states won’t allow pharmacists to immunize children without a prescription until they reach age 18 (although some states permit pharmacists to administer flu shots to children who are at least seven years old)."

Read more: Flu Shots at the Pharmacy: What You Need to Know | TIME.com http://healthland.time.com/2013/09/04/flu-shots-at-the-pharmacy-what-you-need-to-know/#ixzz2nm3sc3Mo