PDA

View Full Version : Not feeling the Christmas spirit

WitMom
12-20-2013, 04:03 AM
This used to be my favorite time of year. But this year, I'm just not feeling it. All I can see are looming work deadlines that come with the end of the year and gifts to buy and wrap and subsequent bills to pay and extra food to cook and bake and on and on. You get the point. DDs are sooo excited. And I'm so sad I'm just not "there". I want to cry.

larig
12-20-2013, 04:55 AM
Sending you loads of hugs and sympathy. I hope things lighten up for you at work and home so you can find some peace to yourself.

crl
12-20-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm feeling a bit grinchy myself. I wish we could just go to Hawaii every year for Christmas and skip all the presents and cooking.

Catherine

HannaAddict
12-20-2013, 01:49 PM
I think the expectations and obligations for things to be "magical" or amazing are draining. I don't feel it as much IRL, do what you can and know that your kids will be happy even if it isn't "perfect." We have so much more materially than I did growing up but are surrounded by more angst and anxiety over small things, things that would never have occurred for my parents to get worked up about. I would love to do Hawaii too and looked into it once but the prices were jaw dropping at Christmas for the place we stay over spring break. Hang in there and feel better!

Seitvonzu
12-21-2013, 03:52 PM
i find this "spirit" comes and goes for me. try not to be so hard on yourself! worst case scenario--it's just one year.

Twoboos
12-21-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm feeling a bit grinchy myself. I wish we could just go to Hawaii every year for Christmas and skip all the presents and cooking.

Catherine

I just said this the other day. It's horrible but I am looking forward to a time when this is possible!! (Skip shopping/spending/gifts/Santa/Elf and go on vacation as a gift to all of us!)

OP I'm right there with you. I was feeling terrible a week or two ago. It's better now but I wish I could focus on the "fun" in all this.