PDA

View Full Version : Teachers that tell kids to be good because "Santa's watching"

vonfirmath
12-20-2013, 12:24 PM
How am I supposed to square this with my kid, who knows Santa isn't real. but I want him to behave anyway!

I'm trying to support you, teacher. But when you lie to my kid it sure makes it hard!

(And generally I really like her but we've had to have so many conversations this last week about behaving even though you know it isn't Santa watching. And NO don't talk back to your teacher. Don't CORRECT your teacher either, yikes! Some people like to pretend and that's okay. Yes Its okay for you to pretend with your classmates. And... Ugh!)

sariana
12-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I had to "confront" DD's kindergarten teacher about this regarding Elf on the Shelf. That stuff just does not belong in a public school classroom, for a number of reasons. We are a diverse community, and I'm frankly surprised some families haven't made a bigger stink about the prevalence of Christmas in our schools. My DH thinks it should be banned completely. The neighbors on one side of us are Jewish but do not use the public schools. The neighbors on the other side are Jehovah's Witnesses but keep pretty quiet about it. We also have families from India, Eastern Europe, and Scandinavia, as well as a significant proportion of Hispanic families (many of whom likely gets gifts from baby Jesus, not Santa).

With DS's special needs, I have to save my capital for other battles. But all the Christmas stuff in school does bother me.

I don't mind the stories, songs, and movies really. They are just that--stories, songs, and movies. A child who does not believe can treat it the same as Puff the Magic Dragon--also a story, song, and movie about a fantasy character. IMO the line is crossed when a teacher tells students that Santa, or an elf, is watching them, and also when trees are set up or stockings hung as if that is "normal" and not to do that is therefore "abnormal."

BunnyBee
12-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Is this a public school? Even in a Christian school, what??? Threats of an old man stalker should not be her discipline tactic! (And we do Santa, lol.)

elektra
12-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Threats of an old man stalker should not be her discipline tactic! (And we do Santa, lol.)
LOL!
Kids get so crazy and excited around Christmas, it's no wonder the Santa threats started!
I agree it's inappropriate for a teacher to threaten a class with Santa, even though we do Santa too, and my kids think their behavior factors into their presents equation.
DD's school seems to be super careful about still having fun around the holidays but making it very secular. The had "Secret Pals" and a little gift exchange. They also learned about how a few regions celebrate this time of year, including mentions of Santa, but also some kind of witch from Italy(?) And other non-Christian celebrations.

123LuckyMom
12-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Honestly, I would talk to the principal. I really don't think Santa as a real, magical creature belongs in a public school classroom. I'm a Scrooge about this stuff, because for my kids, Christmas is a real, religious holiday. It's not about Santa and Rudolph! I don't have a problem with secular, winter themed, classroom celebrating. All of this country is doing that, but anything that treads on an actual mythology is problematic to me. It's disrespectful to all the different religions and cultures that make up the "public" of the public schools, including the Christians!!! I think the teacher needs to hear from the administration what seasonal conversation, decorating, and celebrating is appropriate and what isn't. Certainly using a mythological figure as a threat is inappropriate. If she needs to use Santa, her classroom discipline skills also need some brushing up. ;)

dogmom
12-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Seriously? How stupid, and I mean that word in full context, is that teacher? What happens when little Mary, the perfectly behaved student, doesn't the get the AG doll because her parents can't afford it, but some other student who acts out comes back in Jan. and tells everyone he got XBox One? You don't even need to go to religious diversity to see the issues.

shoxie
12-20-2013, 09:04 PM
We have this, too. We moved from NJ to IL, and our NJ school district was extremely sensitive to having any sort of religious items in class. They took things too far to the other extreme. For example, their winter concerts could not include any songs with even the mention of anything religious - no "Oh, Christmas Tree" or Rudolph." In any case, we get here, and and my son's K class has Elf on a Shelf, Christmas tree projects, Santa everywhere. I was really surprised. And this is a public school. We also have a fairly multi-cultural school population, but no one seems bothered by it (or at least, no one has voiced any negative opinions, AFAIK). Really odd to me.

buddyleebaby
12-20-2013, 11:53 PM
My son spent the last month worrying that one of his classmates would touch and kill(?) their class elf and came home grieving today because it was the last time he'll ever see him.
So much for a fun activity!

petesgirl
12-21-2013, 01:52 AM
We have this, too. We moved from NJ to IL, and our NJ school district was extremely sensitive to having any sort of religious items in class. They took things too far to the other extreme. For example, their winter concerts could not include any songs with even the mention of anything religious - no "Oh, Christmas Tree" or Rudolph." In any case, we get here, and and my son's K class has Elf on a Shelf, Christmas tree projects, Santa everywhere. I was really surprised. And this is a public school. We also have a fairly multi-cultural school population, but no one seems bothered by it (or at least, no one has voiced any negative opinions, AFAIK). Really odd to me.

Seriously? Elf on the shelf is in classrooms now??

shoxie
12-21-2013, 02:46 AM
Seriously? Elf on the shelf is in classrooms now??

Yes! I was extremely weirded out. My son even got a little card one day which had the elf's head and 'I spy good behavior' printed on it. The kids voted on names, too, and gave the elf a hug today as he was leaving for the North Pole tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk