PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone with kids

crl
12-20-2013, 11:51 PM
I am thinking of suggesting a couple of days in Yellowstone to dh this summer. Ds will be eleven and dd will be four. We have been before, but pre-kids and a long time ago.

Thoughts appreciated, especially on where to stay if we go. We would be driving over from Boise.

Thank you!
Catherine

geochick
12-22-2013, 04:41 PM
We did Yellowstone with kids last summer (4 nights). Don't stay in Old Faithful Snow Lodge in the summer. It's a new "green" building and they don't have a/c. It was the worst night of our stay. Our favorite lodge was Dunraven followed by the Mammoth Hotel Suite we sprung for one night. The suite had tons of space and it was the only room my kids actually slept well in. All Yellowstone hotels are small and most are old. I'd pick one on each side of the park so you can get a good look at it all. The cabins (there are many options) would be fun too. Book immediately because summer reservations at the best lodges are hard to get after Dec/Jan. Have fun.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60999-Yellowstone_National_Park_Wyoming-Hotels.html

Oh, you might want to look at West Yellowstone too. There are some cute hotels there for less money.

Piglet
12-22-2013, 04:55 PM
We did Yellowstone last summer with the kids - it is a very kid friendly park! They have Jr. Ranger programs all around and and the kids probably enjoyed it more than any other national park we have been to. The few cautions - it is crowded! Book WELL in advance. Driving from A to B take a lot longer than you expect, so even if something is 20 miles away, be prepared to spend an hour in the car. We tried to drive in the early morning, get to a location and stay there as long as possible, with minimal driving required during midday. We tent camped, so can not speak to the accommodations. For tent camping, the spots are a decent size and well-serviced, but again book up really quickly!

crl
12-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Thank you! Dh said he would rather wait until dd is a little older, but I appreciate the information for down the road.

Catherine

citymama
12-22-2013, 07:43 PM
We went to Grand Teton last year with 6 and 2 year olds and spent a couple of days in Yellowstone. It was wonderful. Even better for older kids, and best when you don't have a napping child so you can be out all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)