PDA

View Full Version : why do I always do this

hillview
12-21-2013, 10:40 PM
The kids have a bunch of gifts
DS1 has 3 lego sets (largeish ones), some books, a little bits or whatever that electical thing is and a DVD set of diary of a whimpy kid.
DS2 has clothes and shoes (he loves this stuff), an iTOUCH, Airhogs r/c car and some books and a DVD of Sound of Music

Yet it doesn't look like a LOT of stuff and now I am freaking out that they don't have enough. They are very privileged. It is nuts. They don't need ANYTHING. Argh.

That is all.

oneplustwo
12-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Well, you are not alone. My kids will have a VERY generous Christmas and yet I am always worrying at the last minute that it's not enough, or that the gift giving is not even among them or something like that. The kids would be fine with less than HALF what they will be getting, and don't need any of it! I just try to remind myself that this is a magical season and one to cherish for reasons OTHER than the giving and getting of things. And yet I can't help wanting a bounty of wrapped presents under the tree for them.

infocrazy
12-21-2013, 11:30 PM
I put everything they are getting from everyone else on a list too. That lets me see how crazy it really is! That said, DH just looked at this long list and is still thinking they need more...I suspect he will do a quick trip and blow all the savings I have had!!! ;)

I walk into my playroom...aka TRU...and realize they need nothing.

LBW
12-21-2013, 11:56 PM
I do the same thing. I have a closet stuffed with gifts for my three, and I still feel like I need to add more. In a few weeks I know I'll be annoyed about having a place to store everything, too. Ugh.

mommylamb
12-22-2013, 08:02 AM
I have that same knee jerk reaction. But, I really don't think the kids see it that way. We tried to dial it back this year, and I'm sticking to my guns. They've got plenty of stuff, and I honestly think they get overwhelmed by too much and it backfires. I know when I was a kid, we got a lot less (Hanukkah, not Christmas), but I never felt like I was not getting enough because that was just the norm.

alexsmommy
12-22-2013, 08:57 AM
We wrap EVERYTHING, including the filler items like NFL slipper socks ($3 from Old Navy). Large volume of things to open vs large cost overall seems to work on both them and me psychologically. Especially as they get older and the individual gifts get more costly.

Seitvonzu
12-22-2013, 10:41 AM
i do this too. the last week before christmas is the WORST for me... but not just with gifts-- with little stuff like christmas treats, little toys, alcohol (one or two bottles of sparkling for mimosa? oh 2, or no-- how about lambic raspberry ale? oh all of it! ;)), stocking stuffers, festive candy,etcetc. i think i throw money at stress. i tried to be really good about "last minute" spending this year, but i still go way overboard!

wildfire
12-22-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm struggling with this too. They are getting quite a few things from everyone, but when I look at what WE are giving them, it's not a big amount. But even though there are not too many gifts, there are some not-so-cheap things there. And we are trying to cut back this year. But I'm tempted to add a few things here or there and am mad that I didn't order what I wanted too off Amazon when prices were good. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to go Christmas shopping at the 11th hour to have a few more things under the tree. I really shouldn't, but the temptation is there.

Katigre
12-22-2013, 03:05 PM
We wrap EVERYTHING, including the filler items like NFL slipper socks ($3 from Old Navy). Large volume of things to open vs large cost overall seems to work on both them and me psychologically. Especially as they get older and the individual gifts get more costly.
This is a great strategy!

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

cuca_
12-22-2013, 03:21 PM
I do this too. And I read about other things in the BBB and think that my kids would love it, or need it, or something. I've been very good about resisting Amazon deals, but now am freak if out.

egoldber
12-22-2013, 04:11 PM
I feel your pain! I was sooooo good and then I panicked that older DD is getting almost nothing, so I impulse bought a ton of things at Target the last two days. :o

ahisma
12-22-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm completely backwards! My kids are getting 7 things each - some more pricey than others. We do wear/read/want/need from us and 3 from Santa.

I worry that we're giving them too much and am brainstorming how to cut back on the Santa gifts. I think it's because we have a small house that is already packed to the gills.

I wind up giving them stuff that I've bought separate from Christmas just to keep Christmas low key. I know that is beyond ridiculous, LOL!

KrisM
12-22-2013, 04:39 PM
We're over our number this year. No one is getting anything big or expensive and I think it put me into quantity mode. They all have a bunch of smaller things that they requested - new board games, a Monster High doll, etc. But, they also are getting books, room decorations, etc so I think it's okay.

Corie
12-22-2013, 08:29 PM
I do this every single year!!

twowhat?
12-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Oh, man I hear ya!!! I've been scrambling for last minute gifts. They don't NEED any more gifts of course. But every year we seem to spend all our energy giving family members ideas for what to get the girls and then in the last few days because Christmas we realize that WE haven't gotten them anything!!! It doesn't and shouldn't matter because to them gifts are gifts and at this age they don't care who gave them the gift...but it makes US feel like we've somehow failed, LOL!!!

From us the girls will get PlanetBoxes, Calico Critters (Santa), Ty Beanie Boos (Santa - stocking) and Rainbow Looms. They'll get bikes and Monster High dolls and probably a ton of books from the grandparents. I am forcing myself to accept that IT IS ENOUGH! :)

trales
12-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Were were having the same convo last night as we were wrapping. DD is getting a bunch of the AG doll Molly and Emily stuff, super small and super expensive. It looks like so little, but is really a whole lot. It does not help that my mom thinks things look sparse since there is no super large gift. And no, I am not going out to buy something huge to make things look better.

kdeunc
12-23-2013, 12:40 PM
You must be DH's long lost sister! ;) He does this every single year.

hellokitty
12-23-2013, 02:12 PM
I've had similar thoughts. When they were younger, they got a LOT more toys and a lot of those toys were rather large, so I guess it just looks more impressive all wrapped up, taking up a large space around the tree. This yr, each child had a rather small pile of gifts (could have fit into a xerox copy box), but they also are getting nice gifts from relatives, so I just keep reminding myself the more isn't better, even though in the past, it looks like they got more gifts. The thing is, the items they are getting from us (santa) and family members are things on their wish list, plus some. So, it is definitely more than enough. I used to only get 1-2 gifts as a child for christmas, dh only basically got clothes for christmas, so whenever I start to doubt myself about whether or not they are getting enough, I realize that they are getting far more than a lot of other children would, so this is kind of a crazy worry.

kboyle
12-23-2013, 02:26 PM
I just wrapped my boys' stuff last night and it looks like nothing compared to how much I've spent. I'm glad the kids are on break because it'll stop me from going to the store. I did decide to return two things, a hulk smash plush thing for ds3, and the little bits set I got for ds1, I think the 500 snap circuits is enough for that type of toy. I haven't retuned them yet, but I don't think they're necessary items that the kids even want.

We just saw The Hobbit, and they added hobbit action figures to their list...I'm highly doubting that is something that I'm going to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

123LuckyMom
12-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Gosh, I feel exactly the opposite! Every year I feel like the pile gets bigger and bigger, and I don't like it! I really don't want the holiday to be too gift-centric! DH and I only get the kids two presents each, one for Christmas Day and one for Epiphany to mark the last day of Christmas when the Magi gave their gifts. It used to be only one until we added in the Three Kings tradition. My mother, however, is unstoppable! Then there's my sister, DH's brothers, my Aunt, their Godmother, their cousin/guardian, and assorted other friends and relations! Thank God Santa only does stockings in our house, or we would most certainly be overrun!!! I vote you get a huge tree skirt, put empty boxes underneath it to form platforms, and put the presents on top. It'll look like a bigger pile without actually containing more stuff! And wrap EVERYTHING-- batteries get wrapped separately!

brittone2
12-23-2013, 08:59 PM
I've BTDT and had the same thoughts. The kids always end up just as happy IME as they do in a year when I buy a bunch of filler items, kwim?
We usually spend a good bit as the kids don't get toys much during the rest of the year (unless they are buying). I sometimes use the great deals this time of the year to pick up some extra educational items to refresh our homeschool stash of stuff. But overall, we tend to keep things pretty scaled back in terms of volume. We don't need more stuff. I'm loving that we are hitting the point where I am getting rid of more and more.

This year has just turned out to be one with more gifts, and I actually am second guessing whether they are getting too much.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Gosh, I feel exactly the opposite! Every year I feel like the pile gets bigger and bigger, and I don't like it! I really don't want the holiday to be too gift-centric! DH and I only get the kids two presents each, one for Christmas Day and one for Epiphany to mark the last day of Christmas when the Magi gave their gifts. It used to be only one until we added in the Three Kings tradition. My mother, however, is unstoppable! Then there's my sister, DH's brothers, my Aunt, their Godmother, their cousin/guardian, and assorted other friends and relations! Thank God Santa only does stockings in our house, or we would most certainly be overrun!!! I vote you get a huge tree skirt, put empty boxes underneath it to form platforms, and put the presents on top. It'll look like a bigger pile without actually containing more stuff! And wrap EVERYTHING-- batteries get wrapped separately!

this is such a good idea, i am so stealing it! i'm with you, my kids don't need more stuff, and this year we are only giving them 2 items, big gift being from Santa. IMO they get various gifts from the grandparents and other relatives/friends, i feel like i really can only buy one or two things for each otherwise it's too much. i find for my kids they get overwhelmed with the amount of gifts all at once... esp with dh's birthday 2 weeks after which im' sure my ILs will buy something huge. at the end of the year i always find myself frantically trying to declutter as i make room for the influx of stuff for Christmas/DS birthday.

anyway i am totally taking that 3 Kings idea. We never celebrated in growing up but i know my mom did when she was growing up.

KrisM
12-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Here it goes in cycles, too. Last year, kids wanted bigger more expensive things and there were fewer of them. This year, it seems that they've moved on to a new set of interests and have sold many of their toys they've had for 2-3 years and are moving into completely different things, so they are getting more. But, they only get 1 thing each from 4 other people and 2 from my parents, so it does make it easier for me to do more. My parents used to go way overboard with my oldest nephew and he'd have a dozen things just from them. I'm glad they figured out it's too much :).