PDA

View Full Version : Be careful what you wish for...

OKKiddo
12-24-2013, 12:34 AM
I complained to DH about how long I'd be up wrapping presents and asked him if he would help me. Sure he says--with just a little attitude to show that it's not really what he wanted to do. At 8:00 the kids went to bed and I was getting wrapping paper pulled out when my 2 year old comes down the stairs. DH has been shamming on his putting the kids to bed job and has just been laying her down in our bed to watch cartoons while he lays down next to her AND FALLS ASLEEP. So, I go upstairs and rock DD to sleep, put her back to bed and poke DH to wake him up. He wakes up with a loud "WHAT?!" and nearly wakes DD back up. I finally got him back downstairs and he's not listening to instructions about Santa paper only for the Santa List gifts. He's mixing up presents by just grabbing and wrapping and NOT TAGGING them, and oh yeah--he wastes a whole friggin role of paper on ONE GIFT! He didn't just cut the excess off, nope. He unrolled the whole thing and used the most he possibly could. I think he was just trying to pull an Everybody Loves Raymond to get out of a task he didn't like. So, I remind him that we only have x amount of paper and if we run out that's it. I can't go to the store with the kids tomorrow to buy paper because it will give the whole thing away. WHY? WHY?!! Did I ask him to help? I realize now that I would have preferred the quiet time downstairs watching a movie of my choice (no DH, no The Hunter or The Gray or any other manly kill-them-all-gory movies) while wrapping presents the way my mother taught me (neatly, quickly, and sparingly).

Lesson learned.

petesgirl
12-24-2013, 12:50 AM
I was cursing my DH this morning for using a whole roll of tape on one gift. He seriously had to tape every nook and cranny of it. Ugh....

kali
12-24-2013, 01:44 AM
I was cursing my DH this morning for using a whole roll of tape on one gift. He seriously had to tape every nook and cranny of it. Ugh....

I'm guessing you will be cursing him again when your DC tries to open it!

Making me regret asking for help is a familiar strategy around here as well :irked:.

petesgirl
12-24-2013, 02:32 AM
I'm guessing you will be cursing him again when your DC tries to open it!

Making me regret asking for help is a familiar strategy around here as well :irked:.

It's actually his mom's gift...Maybe she taught him to use that much tape so she will appreciate it.

KrisM
12-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Ugh. So sorry! Hope you got them wrapped regardless of the 'help'.

Melaine
12-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Dh wraps well but never uses tags despite my asking....I have no idea but there are a pile of gifts with no tags. Hopefully he knows what they are.

KrisM
12-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Dh wraps well but never uses tags despite my asking....I have no idea but there are a pile of gifts with no tags. Hopefully he knows what they are.

That's crazy! I don't tag the Santa gifts at first because I never have the tags ready. But, I do write their initial on the bottom. No way can I remember who a wrapped box is for!

georgiegirl
12-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Too funny! I don't even ask for help because it's not worth it. My DH would just ask me a million questions (which paper, which tape, how much tape, how do I wrap a present, what color pen should I use on the label, where should I stick the label)

infocrazy
12-24-2013, 09:08 AM
I use a different wrapping paper for each kid and then one for other. Sort of color code. We have never wrapped Santa gifts before but I am this year. I am printing tags for those if I remember to do in my office today.

DH will help but he works tonight :-( so not much. He wraps mine in another room and takes forever but he will help as necessary.

KLD313
12-24-2013, 10:15 AM
After saying he would help wrap he flaked on it claiming he had done enough already (he decorated a shelf and a railing, broke down some cardboard boxes and put dishes in the sink). I'm probably better off he didn't help. Ugh men!

OKKiddo
12-24-2013, 02:27 PM
I use a different wrapping paper for each kid and then one for other. Sort of color code.

I did this too. I used Transformers and Disney Planes for DS1 and DS2 and then Tinkerbell and Dora for DD. And their Santa gifts were wrapped in one of three different Santa papers (Santa, Santa and Rudolf/Elves, or Frosty the Snowman). I don't think it was all that complicated but I had to keep correcting DH about not using the Santa papers on the regular gifts. I did make the mistake of thinking the Dollar Tree wrapping paper would work out fine (you know, no need to buy wrapping paper from toys r us at 5x the cost this year). I won't do that again. I know that our days of getting to use character themed wrapping paper for the kids are numbered. :(

Corie
12-24-2013, 04:37 PM
The only gifts that my husbands wraps are the gifts for me. And, he wrote the letter M in black sharpie across the top
of every gift. I asked him, who is M? He said, You are M. M stands for Mom.