PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize 4-yr old's books?

PMJ
12-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Are they all on a bookshelf and a free fall for the child?

or.........

Are they organized by "category / theme and in different bins? (Fall books, Xmas books, animal books) Or they might just be in smaller bins and you trade out the bins.

** I use the 2nd method now and have about 3-4 bins right now that I switch out (try to).

thanks

BabyBearsMom
12-25-2013, 09:12 PM
I have books that are more story-style in a shelf in each girls' rooms for bedtime. I have books that are more play based (I spy books, lift the flap etc) in a giant storage ottoman in the living room, then I have all holiday books and books I don't like on a shelf in the basement family room so I don't have to read them often. I bring the holiday books up as appropriate. I don't have time to separate them beyond this and they often get mixed up and I can't make myself care much about it.

mmommy
12-25-2013, 09:28 PM
They're hopefully on a shelf. But sometimes they're in a bed, on the floor, on the sofa, or pillows of reading nook. Basically, we don't "organize" so much as wrangle.

mommylamb
12-25-2013, 09:36 PM
The word organize assumes some sort of method to the madness, and I can't claim that. Both my boys have a book case in their room. We also have two bins in the expedit in the family room that are filled with DS2's books. Books get taken up and down between those locations randomly. DS1 does keep his books in his room mostly but that's because I read to him or he reads before bed, but other than that, he doesn't read as often. DS2 wants to read all the time.

MommyAllison
12-26-2013, 02:21 AM
We have a 3 shelf bookshelf in the playroom, and a 3-4 shelf bookshelf in each of the kid's closets (so DD2 couldn't get into them but now she can open doors...). The only real organization is that library books get their own shelf, and now DD1 keeps hers organized by type (chapter books, picture books, magazines, etc).

hillview
12-26-2013, 08:53 AM
The word organize assumes some sort of method to the madness, and I can't claim that. Both my boys have a book case in their room. We also have two bins in the expedit in the family room that are filled with DS2's books. Books get taken up and down between those locations randomly. DS1 does keep his books in his room mostly but that's because I read to him or he reads before bed, but other than that, he doesn't read as often. DS2 wants to read all the time.
:yeahthat: about that