PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE 25.Dh stop setting your alarm for a ridiculously early time and hitting snooze

crl
12-27-2013, 12:04 PM
UPDATE IN POST 25

Dh's alarm went off at 6:15 this morning. It is now 8am and he is still in bed. I cannot go back to sleep after it goes off the first time and dd actually slept until 6:45 this morning. So that's thirty minutes of sleep I lost out on for no reason. And he does this frequently. As in at least once a week. It is so freaking rude. And I have told him how much I hate it and he keeps doing it. Maybe I should get up the first time it goes off, turn on all the lights and some loud music and vacuum in the bedroom.

Catherine

kristenk
12-27-2013, 12:11 PM
And I have told him how much I hate it and he keeps doing it. Maybe I should get up the first time it goes off, turn on all the lights and some loud music and vacuum in the bedroom.

I think you have your answer right there! I'm guessing he'd be a bit more judicious about the use of his alarm if you did that!

sunshine873
12-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Yup, me too. DH has his alarm on his watch set for work. Except he has it set for EVERY day and it goes off automatically. Twice. Because he knows he won't get up with the first alarm.

What? Well, I'm getting up with your first alarm...at 5:15! Ugh! It's fine if that's what it takes to get up for work, but then get up! And for Pete's sake, turn it off on weekends/holidays!!!

queenmama
12-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Yup, me too. DH has his alarm on his watch set for work. Except he has it set for EVERY day and it goes off automatically. Twice. Because he knows he won't get up with the first alarm.

What? Well, I'm getting up with your first alarm...at 5:15! Ugh! It's fine if that's what it takes to get up for work, but then get up! And for Pete's sake, turn it off on weekends/holidays!!!

My DH, too. He did remember to shut if off for this vacation, thankfully, since he's off for two weeks+.

I am not a morning person at all, but I set my alarm and jump out of bed when it goes off. DH and DS both take 15-30 minutes to wake up, DH sometimes longer. It pisses me off when DH's alarm wakes up DD and I (we bedshare) but he just lingers in bed, snooze snooze snooze. I need to get him his own bedroom, or the guys can bunk up and be late for everything together. :P

Lara

Twoboos
12-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Maybe you should get up and shut off the alarm, then go back to sleep. :icon_twisted:

crl
12-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Maybe you should get up and shut off the alarm, then go back to sleep. :icon_twisted:

But it I can't! Once it's after about 5 am if something wakes me up I am awake for the day.

I told him again this morning to stop doing that and he at least looked sheepish and agreed. First time I have gotten that far. We will see whether it makes any difference though.

Catherine

Twoboos
12-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Well, at least if you shut it off you won't have to listen to it anymore! ;)

I hear you though. DH does this too, or he's just clamoring around the house in the middle of the night and it wakes me up. So annoying.

BunnyBee
12-27-2013, 01:14 PM
I have had more fights with my DH over that issue than all others combined in our marriage. I will testify on your behalf as to it being a justified assault if you wedged his alarm firmly inside a body cavity. Vacuuming much safer for all involved!!!

hellokitty
12-27-2013, 01:27 PM
My dh does this too and I also got mad at him, b/c he would keep his cell phone sounds up with ALL of these stupid dings and stuff every time he got an email or some other foum notification, etc.. It took months of nagging for him to turn off those settings. He didn't seem to comprehend that when his phone vibrates and lights up, it wakes me up. He's gotten slightly better with the alarm situation, but not by much. I think that if anything, I've probably adapted to it. :irked:

ladysoapmaker
12-27-2013, 01:36 PM
*hugs* DH does this too. I'm a morning person and unless I'm sick or was up way too late, I'm awake when the alarm goes off. DH will have 2 or 3 alarms (now one of those is to get the girls up in the morning) but he doesn't set his phone for only Mon-Fri. He has gotten better (he use to be really bad but we've talked enough that he is more considerate).

Jen

LMPC
12-27-2013, 02:38 PM
I feel your pain! DH used to do this...until one night I told him that if he didn't want his phone smashed in the morning, he would set his alarm for the time he actually was going to get up. Apparently I channeled my inner mob boss because the problem was solved :innocent:

barkley1
12-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Same here! He's always like, "I think I'll go to the gym tomorrow morning." Oh, hell no you won't and I know it! Stop setting your alarm for 5:15!!! I've told him over and over I cannot get back to sleep. I think it it so rude and inconsiderate. No amount if bitching about it changes anything though :(

hillview
12-27-2013, 02:47 PM
wow seriously. this would be WWII for me. I would likely punch him (ok not really).

belovedgandp
12-27-2013, 03:09 PM
I can go back to sleep after one alarm. It is the second or third that push me over the edge. If we get to two, he gets a shove in the backside.

BabbyO
12-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Ok...this sucks. But I also get what's happening to your DH. I'm the same way, often. I've found it helps if I put my alarm ACROSS the room so I HAVE to get out of bed to turn it off. I'm more likely to actually get up on time if I'm already out of my bed. That said, if getting out of bed to turn the alarm off doesn't do it, I don't think anything will. Tell him he clearly needs the extra sleep and should plan to get up early to work out or whatever after he's gotten enough rest.

I'd be pissed, too, though!

(ETA: I don't set my alarm for crazy early anymore)

(ETA2: If you can find a sunrise simulator alarm - it can help. I know it really makes getting up for me easier...and it is less disruptive for the other person sleeping because it isn't a loud beeping or other noise. We have this one: http://www.serenityhealth.com/sunrise_system_alarm_clock_srs100us-p-1058-l-en.html )

Aggg...sorry, I forgot this is the BP - ignore my advice...

okinawama
12-27-2013, 03:53 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/snuznluz.shtml
Have you seen this? It's an alarm clock that donates your money to a charity of your choosing every time you hit snooze. Maybe your DH could use this (or maybe it would backfire and you'd just end up broke and awake early while your hubby sleeps...).

tabegle
12-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Have you seen this? It's an alarm clock that donates your money to a charity of your choosing every time you hit snooze. Maybe your DH could use this (or maybe it would backfire and you'd just end up broke and awake early while your hubby sleeps...).

OMG, that's awesome!

OP and others, I totally feel and live your pain.

crl
12-27-2013, 05:13 PM
I appreciate the sympathy, but am sorry to hear others have the same plight. ;). Fingers crossed my dh got the message this time.

Catherine

OKKiddo
12-27-2013, 06:38 PM
But it I can't! Once it's after about 5 am if something wakes me up I am awake for the day.

I told him again this morning to stop doing that and he at least looked sheepish and agreed. First time I have gotten that far. We will see whether it makes any difference though.

Catherine

Get one of these and see how many times it takes him to figure out you mean business: http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-13530/Traffic-Safety/Air-Horns?pricode=WU336&gadtype=pla&id=34610099002&gclid=CMe3uty70bsCFRBnOgodLlAAwQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

;)

123LuckyMom
12-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Ugh! That is AWFUL!

My freshman year roommate would set her alarm for 6am and hit snooze every 10 minutes until 10AM!!! Yes, that is, indeed, 4 HOURS of snooze! Meanwhile, I rarely went to bed before 3am and had no classes before 11. I asked her multiple times to set the alarm later. She wouldn't. Finally I told her I was going to get up and turn off her alarm the next morning if it rang before 9am, and she would miss class. I did it, and I kept doing it until she learned to wake up to the alarm. I don't think I'd do that to my DH, though. I like the idea of early morning vacuuming better.

Ceepa
12-27-2013, 08:54 PM
DH used to do this. Now he sets the alarm volume low on his nightstand. He also uses the radio instead of the blaring alarm setting, that helps.

California
12-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Had no idea this was something so many of us have in common! DH does the same thing. And if he does get up to go jog (4:45 a.m.), about 75% of the time he forgets to let the dogs out. Once the dogs hear movement in the house they get all urgent about going potty, so I end up letting them out around 5 am. On those mornings I'm quite tempted to bolt the door.

barkley1
12-27-2013, 11:58 PM

This is nothing short of genius. I emailed it to DH and told him to start thinking which charity he thought was the most worthless. When he realized I was serious, he almost got pissed! He was dead set that I was NOT getting one of those! Why? Because he wants to be able to hit snooze without paying for it. So I pay for it with lost sleep! That's so selfish! In the end, he agreed to put it across the room on his dresser so he would have to get out of bed. Now, let's hope he'll get up before the kids wake up to his alarm :P

goldenpig
12-28-2013, 03:01 AM
OP, I totally sympathize! What's weird is that I used to do this myself, hit the snooze 2 or 3 times before getting up, but ever since I had kids I am instantly awake and can't fall back asleep, so I hate when DH does this (he routinely goes back to sleep for 1/2 hour afterward). I've developed bat ears. It makes me so angry when I lose sleep unnecessarily. I had to banish DH to the playroom sofa (actually though he went there himself, because he can't stand being in bed with me and DS2--the baby's waking up 2-4 times a night every night). Our situation is so stereotypical!

crl
12-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Dh bought some gizmo that he wears on his wrist and has a vibrating alarm. He is trying it and if it wakes him up, he will use it. Yay! I am happy he is trying to address the problem and will be even happier if it works!

Catherine

pastrygirl
12-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Is it a FitBit One? I love mine for counting steps, but love it even more for the silent vibrating alarm! I use it for all my alarms and reminders, so I don't have to set our main alarm clock.

crl
12-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Is it a FitBit One? I love mine for counting steps, but love it even more for the silent vibrating alarm! I use it for all my alarms and reminders, so I don't have to set our main alarm clock.

Maybe? He told me a few days ago he had bought a heart rate monitor on Amazon.

Catherine

barkley1
12-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Find out the name, pretty please ! I'm so sick of losing sleep over dh's alarm :P

crl
12-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Dh says he bought his at the apple store. There was a jawbone thing and a fitbit thing. He bought the jawbone thing.

Catherine

niccig
12-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Dh bought some gizmo that he wears on his wrist and has a vibrating alarm. He is trying it and if it wakes him up, he will use it. Yay! I am happy he is trying to address the problem and will be even happier if it works!

Catherine

I got the fitbit force and it has vibrating alarm. I'm using it not just to wake up but also as reminders throughout day to do some speech therapy exercises...it will keep vibrating if he doesn't turn it off, so he'll have to acknowledge it.

barkley1
12-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Dh says he bought his at the apple store. There was a jawbone thing and a fitbit thing. He bought the jawbone thing.

Catherine

Thanks!

doberbrat
12-30-2013, 06:25 PM
my cousin's dh was like this. She got him a sonic boom alarm clock and the first morning had to just about peel him off the ceiling... he got cured pretty quick. ;

swissair81
12-30-2013, 08:10 PM
My husband gets up when he sets his alarm, so I can't complain about that. What I can loudly complain about is his awful habit of coming upstairs to make phone calls in our room after I'm sleeping. He also sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night to talk to his parents in Europe. That's fine with me, but it's not fine to talk so loudly that you wake up the whole entire house.