PDA

View Full Version : ISO weights for home use

jgenie
12-30-2013, 10:26 AM
I would like to buy weights to use at home but I'm clueless about what's out there and what's good. Any recs?
TIA

123LuckyMom
12-30-2013, 10:46 AM
It depends on what you want to do with the weights. We have a set of free weights we bought at Sears, I think. We also have a table for barbells and leg curls, so we have the disc weights for those. We have handheld barbells, too, that can use the disc weights. I like those better than the handhelds that are individual weights. I like the greater versatility. We find our set perfectly adequate for home workouts.

SnuggleBuggles
12-30-2013, 10:55 AM
I have some disc free weights but they rarely get used. I mostly go to the gym though so I'm not relying on home having everything. So, I have a pair of 5s, 8s and 10s plus an 18lb body bar. That I wish I had a 30lb of but the ones I found were really long the heavier they got. Just bought my stuff at Target but many better deals around.

pastrygirl
12-30-2013, 01:43 PM
What do you want to do with the weights? I far, far, FAR prefer individual (hex) dumbbells rather than the spinlock kind. I have a set of spinlocks but don't like doing the math to get the number I need when I have to switch every few minutes; the handle weighs x amount, the spinlocks weigh x amount, and the plates weigh x amount. It's a pain. I just want to pick up a 25lb dumbbell!

I also have an olympic barbell with olympic weight plates (2" center hole). Any plates with a 1" center hole are "standard" plates. An olympic bar weighs 45lbs, and a standard bar weighs much less. I don't have much use for the standards size.

Here's a good page with lots of info: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/03/05/101-equipment/

I bought most of my dumbbells when Power Systems had a 75% off sale, but have supplemented from Craigslist. You can sometimes find dumbbells for 50 cents/lb.

BabyBearsMom
12-30-2013, 02:05 PM
My DH has these: http://www.amazon.com/PowerBlock-Classic-Adjustable-Dumbbell-Set/dp/B000A6QINW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388426550&sr=8-1&keywords=powerblock and really loves them. He uses them for his P90X workouts and he likes that they are easy/quick to adjust the weight but don't take up a ton of space since we don't have the room. The ones I linked go up to 45 lbs, but he has a set that go up to 90lbs if you needed higher weights.