PDA

View Full Version : Snoring sucks

lalasmama
12-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Apparently I snore. Badly. DH and I haven't even hit 6 months of marriage, and we are sleeping in separate beds because I snore so loudly. We start out in the same bed, with a fan and ear plugs, and by midnight, he's stomping off to the couch, or I am.

I've gained serious weight over the past 2-3 years as my MS has gotten worse, which makes the snoring worse. And now I've got sleep apnea. (I have an appointment for treatment discussion on Friday for that.)

Really, though, I'm just mad that we're only into this marriage a few months and we can't share a bed :(

chiisai
12-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Aww, hugs. :hug5: Dh and I sleep in separate rooms because of snoring. I was sad about it for awhile, too.

I know you are not looking for advice so feel free to ignore the rest. You may already do this, but what helped is that we realized after a long while (too long) that we still needed to spend some time together in bed before going to sleep, really just to talk or be next to each other totally unplugged (I'm not talking about sex). It sounds obvious but we weren't doing it and when we started it made things between us so much better. We try to do this all the time but fall off the wagon now and then.

JenChem
12-30-2013, 02:32 PM
I used to snore, horribly. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and a CPAP (continuous positive air pressure) has changed our lives. I hope you get some good advice at your appointment.

boogiemom
12-30-2013, 02:38 PM
:-( Awwww....that stinks. Sorry. I had sleep apnea and slept using a Cpap for years. It was difficult for me to get used to because I was a mouth breather. I had to learn to breathe through my nose to use the Cpap. Won't work for mouth breathers. It was a real pain to travel with too. Thankfully, after losing about 100 lbs., I no longer need the Cpap. Let me tell you, it is glorious to be able to sleep without that thing. Truly. I also no longer snore. :-)

StantonHyde
12-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Have you tried the low tech remedy of putting on an old bra backwards and putting tennis balls in the cups? That will keep you off your back and on your side, which will reduce the snoring. Cpaps are helpful. So is losing weight. DH and I have not shared a bed in over 11 years. (scheduling, kids, snoring, etc etc) Honestly, I LOVE It!!!! We still have visits. I just love getting the bed to myself afterwards!

doberbrat
12-30-2013, 06:20 PM
:-( Awwww....that stinks. Sorry. I had sleep apnea and slept using a Cpap for years. It was difficult for me to get used to because I was a mouth breather. I had to learn to breathe through my nose to use the Cpap. Won't work for mouth breathers. It was a real pain to travel with too. Thankfully, after losing about 100 lbs., I no longer need the Cpap. Let me tell you, it is glorious to be able to sleep without that thing. Truly. I also no longer snore. :-)

Not to hijack, but amazing! WTG !!:cheerleader1::cheerleader1::cheerleader1:

MamaMolly
12-30-2013, 09:13 PM
I honestly think DH's CPAP machine saved our marriage and my sanity.

lalasmama
12-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Have you tried the low tech remedy of putting on an old bra backwards and putting tennis balls in the cups? That will keep you off your back and on your side, which will reduce the snoring. Cpaps are helpful. So is losing weight. DH and I have not shared a bed in over 11 years. (scheduling, kids, snoring, etc etc) Honestly, I LOVE It!!!! We still have visits. I just love getting the bed to myself afterwards!

I sleep on my side or tummy already (usually my tummy). But thanks for the idea!

Simon
01-01-2014, 02:52 PM
I sleep on my side or tummy already (usually my tummy). But thanks for the idea!

The CPAP machine has saved us, too! Dh had a similar experience snoring growing worse and becoming sleep apnea. The machine itself is very quiet and it completely fixed the problem. I am now more than happy to snuggle next to him and if Ds3 wasn't night waking it would be perfect! Fingers crossed you can find a way to sleep next to Dh again soon.

Cam&Clay
01-01-2014, 04:36 PM

Same here.

boolady
01-01-2014, 11:28 PM

Us, too. It's crazy how much more well-rested we both are now.

123LuckyMom
01-02-2014, 09:41 AM
I'm another CPAP saved our marriage person. My husband is a mouth breather, but he wears a chin strap, and that works to keep his mouth closed.

If you're interested in a suggestion, I would ask your doctor for a referral to a sleep clinic. If you do have apnea, it really can negatively impact your health. Also, I believe that even if you don't have apnea there are prescription anti snoring aids like mouth guards and chin straps. I'd ask your doctor what you can do. I bet you'll be able to find a solution.

Meanwhile, hugs to you! That's a disheartening situation.

elliput
01-02-2014, 01:06 PM
:hug: I'm glad you are being proactive about the sleep apnea and the snoring. Being able to control it will make a big difference in your quality of life, as you are not getting sufficient rest now which leads to other physical problems such as weight gain and/or inability to lose weight. Best of luck with your appt tomorrow.

lalasmama
01-02-2014, 09:12 PM
I had my appt with the sleep doctor today. My last sleep study showed very mild sleep apnea, with some hypoxia, so the doctor wants to run a deeper sleep study in a normal sleep lab. He said if he was a betting man, his money would be on this being a case of sleep apnea that could be improved by taking my tonsils out and an oral appliance. We'll know more in a few weeks. Until then, DH got some sleeping pills from his doctor. Here's to hoping that we may make it all night in the same bed!

123LuckyMom
01-02-2014, 09:47 PM
I had my appt with the sleep doctor today. My last sleep study showed very mild sleep apnea, with some hypoxia, so the doctor wants to run a deeper sleep study in a normal sleep lab. He said if he was a betting man, his money would be on this being a case of sleep apnea that could be improved by taking my tonsils out and an oral appliance. We'll know more in a few weeks. Until then, DH got some sleeping pills from his doctor. Here's to hoping that we may make it all night in the same bed!

I'm so glad you're making progress!

EllasMum
01-04-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm a little late to the thread, but had a recent experience with snoring, so I know how disruptive it can be. I have been seeing a new guy, and he took me away for the weekend. We were having a terrific time until we went to bed. He fell asleep quickly, and snored unbelievably loudly! I was so tired I thought I'd just fall asleep anyway, but after 2 hours I had to get up and just sleep on the couch in the sitting room area of our suite. :( I had planned to just sneak back in before he woke up but he got up to use the washroom and discovered I wasn't there. It was very awkward - I just told him he was snoring so I decided to sleep on the couch. He encouraged me to come back to the bedroom, which I did. He tried to sleep on his side, and it did help a bit, but frankly it put a real damper on our weekend, and on a new(ish) relationship. :( I hope you get things worked out, OP! Good luck!

Nooknookmom
01-06-2014, 03:26 AM
Aww, hugs. :hug5: Dh and I sleep in separate rooms because of snoring. I was sad about it for awhile, too.

I know you are not looking for advice so feel free to ignore the rest. You may already do this, but what helped is that we realized after a long while (too long) that we still needed to spend some time together in bed before going to sleep, really just to talk or be next to each other totally unplugged (I'm not talking about sex). It sounds obvious but we weren't doing it and when we started it made things between us so much better. We try to do this all the time but fall off the wagon now and then.

Us too! He's a freight train and I can't sleep. I wish he would try some things to help but in our case he won't.

Have u talked with ur doc? Maybe they can help. Sorry I understand!

researchedout
01-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Have you looked into getting your adenoids removed? I hear that can help.