PDA

View Full Version : Update - Tachycardia/Heart Palpitations?

marie
12-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Update:
The cardiologist confirmed that I have SVT (supra ventricular tachycardia) which is benign but annoying. Treatment options discussed were: going on a beta-blocker, having ablation procedure, and taking a wait-and-see using various techniques to slow my heart when it happens. I'm going with a low-dose beta-blocker for now. It got really scary - the day of the OP I could barely get my heart rate to go down and stay down, the palpitations kept waking me up through the night, etc. Interesting to note that (and sorry for the TMI) on the Monday when things were so bad AF started with some spotting, and by Tuesday AM (after being up a lot of the night with palpitations) AF started full force and the episodes stopped completely and I haven't had one since. (There were a few days between that day and the start of the beta blocker.) I'll be monitoring this month's cycle closely to see if there seems to be a hormonal correlation.

marie

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone here have experience with tachycardia?

I started noticing heart palpitations back in late August/early September but they were pretty random and not happening often - just enough to notice (couple times/week, not lasting long). This month they've picked up a lot and I finally called the doctor. Saw the NP and she sent me for an echocardiogram and Holter monitor. They never called me with results so I called and talked to a nurse who quickly looked over my file and said "echo looks good, you had two episodes while wearing the monitor (yup - i knew that!), looks like the NP wants you to see cardiology." Been waiting and waiting to hear back from them (they set it up the appointment for some reason?) and I finally called back today and I fell through the cracks. :irked:

In the meantime, the episodes are getting worse - much more frequent and lasting longer - starting on Christmas Day. I downloaded a heart rate monitor app so I can really get an idea of how fast it's going (170-190) and for how long. In my appointment with the NP, she mentioned that there is some evidence that this sort of thing (her initial diagnosis is Supra ventricular tachycardia) can be hormonal and they frequently see it in women in their 40s. Interesting because today AF arrived... is this a new part of PMS?!?

Anyway, just curious if anyone has experienced it. Trying to prepare myself for my appointment with the cardiologist.

TIA

MommyAllison
12-30-2013, 02:03 PM
DH had a different form of tachycardia as a kid (PAT I think) and was put on beta blockers. He also had to avoid caffeine, which for him meant no chocolate, white chocolate only. When he was 18 they did an ablation, which took care of it. He still talks about how scary it was to feel his heart racing, as it took awhile for them to diagnose the problem and get it under control. I hope you are able to see the cardiologist soon!

WatchingThemGrow
12-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Sounds like my DH, who went off caffeine immediately. Cleared it up instantly.

kdeunc
12-30-2013, 03:07 PM
I started having palpitations (no tachycardia) about a year ago. I didn't wear a monitor but have had a stress echo and regular echo. Both normal. Mine definitely "show up" as PMS symptoms. I know that they are benign but still it makes me anxious. Love hitting my 40s! :)

Indianamom2
12-30-2013, 03:28 PM
It can also very definitely be a symptom of anxiety/panic attacks. (Panic attacks don't feel like they sound, I think they need a new name!). I've never heard the PMS/hormonal link, but I'm not yet in my 40's. It could very well be true. Follow up with the cardiologist, but try not to worry. I've been through this several times in my life and for me it's always anxiety. It's scary, but if the echo was good, then try to relax.

mommylamb
12-30-2013, 05:34 PM
I get them when I'm stressed. I've had all sorts of monitoring of my heart and they can't find anything wrong with me. My doctor told me to lay off the caffeine, which I did for a while, but now I'm back to drinking it. Bur really, it's a stress thing more than a caffeine thing for me.

marie
12-30-2013, 05:45 PM
I started having palpitations (no tachycardia) about a year ago. I didn't wear a monitor but have had a stress echo and regular echo. Both normal. Mine definitely "show up" as PMS symptoms. I know that they are benign but still it makes me anxious. Love hitting my 40s! :)

I have to laugh at this because I *know* that the initial, mild episodes started in late August/early September - right when I turned 40! I thought "ya gotta be kidding me!?! 40 and it really IS all over!" LOL

Just heard from cardiology. The doc I requested didn't have an appt until first week of February and other docs didn't have great availability before then so I took that appt. I then asked if there was anything to do in the meantime to slow down my heart rate since the episodes are getting worse. She called me back less than 15 minutes later after asking the doc (the one I requested, no less!) and he looked at his schedule and will fit me in this Thursday!

RE: Caffeine. I don't drink coffee, occasionally drink black & green teas, but have a fierce chocolate addiction. Hot cocoa is my hot beverage of choice and though I don't drink it everyday, I drink it most days in the winter. (hot milk, little sugar, couple teaspoons cocoa powder - I looked it up and it can have as much caffeine as a cup of coffee.)

Interesting about anxiety. I'll have to think about/look into that...

thanks, all!

RedSuedeShoes
12-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Are you on any meds or supplements that could be contributing? I had intermittent episodes of heart racing about a year ago and chalked it up to stress, but it got more frequent/intense until I had a major episode lasting several minutes (last New Year's Day, in fact). Somehow, it occurred to me to Google whether it could be from a supplement I'd started taking and sure enough, it's a relatively common side effect. Stopped that day, and haven't had an episode since. Hope you get some answers soon.

acmom
12-30-2013, 10:36 PM
I had an echo during my first pregnancy for this. I have always had random, occasional episodes for as long as I remember, but they increased a lot during pregnancy. The echo was completely normal and the episodes decreased again after pregnancy, but I still have them. I will have to watch mine and see if they could be hormonal/PMS related, but I would guess hormones could effect them since my increased so much during pregnancy. A close family member is a cardiologist and not too concerned with them since I had my echo and all was fine. Hope your dr can help you figure them out bc it is no fun when they are happening often!

Gena
12-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I have mitral valve prolapse with a heart murmur and some mitral regurgitation (blood flows backwards through the valve). It occasionally gives me symptoms of tachycardia, arrhythmia, and chest discomfort/pain. I usually get these symptoms if I'm over-stressed, over-exerted, or sick. Managing my stress and anxiety has decreased the frequency of them a lot.

marie
01-08-2014, 10:09 PM
update in OP

123LuckyMom
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
I missed your original post, but I'm so glad to hear that the condition is manageable and not something more scary!

MSWR0319
01-09-2014, 10:03 PM
I know my case was probably very rare, but wanted to share. I was diagnosed with SVT (they caught it on a monitor) and put on a beta blocker in my early 20's. I still had episodes once in awhile but not as severe as before. I started noticing I got these episodes whenever I got this "full" feeling at the bottom of my neck. I got that feeling often when I laid down or right after I ate. I mentioned this to the cardiologist at my check up and he thought it was a coincidence. I then went to an allergist for my seasonal allergies who asked why I was on a beta blocker because I couldn't be on one to start allergy shots. When I started to explain this weird feeling I got during these episodes, he finished my sentence and described it to a T. Turns out I was allergic to beef and he thought it was a reaction to the beef. He thought it was severe reflux. I stopped eating beef and sure enough haven't had a problem since and was able to go off my meds. I do get the feeling and palpitations once in awhile, but if I take a tums immediately it goes right away so I know it's reflux related. The allergist said something about the pressure from the reflux was pushing on my heart and causing the SVT. It was strange but wanted to share!

lhk777
01-23-2014, 11:54 AM
My DH and his dad both had SVT.
I know it can get pretty uncomfortable to the point where they had to just stop everything and sit down.

My DH had the ablation surgery over 10 years ago and it was a quick outpatient surgery.
He said it was the best decision he ever made.

His dad had surgery soon after that and has never had an episode since.

If you have any questions about the procedure feel free to PM me and I can ask my DH for more details.

mackmama
02-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Update:
The cardiologist confirmed that I have SVT (supra ventricular tachycardia) which is benign but annoying. Treatment options discussed were: going on a beta-blocker, having ablation procedure, and taking a wait-and-see using various techniques to slow my heart when it happens. I'm going with a low-dose beta-blocker for now. It got really scary - the day of the OP I could barely get my heart rate to go down and stay down, the palpitations kept waking me up through the night, etc. Interesting to note that (and sorry for the TMI) on the Monday when things were so bad AF started with some spotting, and by Tuesday AM (after being up a lot of the night with palpitations) AF started full force and the episodes stopped completely and I haven't had one since. (There were a few days between that day and the start of the beta blocker.) I'll be monitoring this month's cycle closely to see if there seems to be a hormonal correlation.

marie

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone here have experience with tachycardia?

I started noticing heart palpitations back in late August/early September but they were pretty random and not happening often - just enough to notice (couple times/week, not lasting long). This month they've picked up a lot and I finally called the doctor. Saw the NP and she sent me for an echocardiogram and Holter monitor. They never called me with results so I called and talked to a nurse who quickly looked over my file and said "echo looks good, you had two episodes while wearing the monitor (yup - i knew that!), looks like the NP wants you to see cardiology." Been waiting and waiting to hear back from them (they set it up the appointment for some reason?) and I finally called back today and I fell through the cracks. :irked:

In the meantime, the episodes are getting worse - much more frequent and lasting longer - starting on Christmas Day. I downloaded a heart rate monitor app so I can really get an idea of how fast it's going (170-190) and for how long. In my appointment with the NP, she mentioned that there is some evidence that this sort of thing (her initial diagnosis is Supra ventricular tachycardia) can be hormonal and they frequently see it in women in their 40s. Interesting because today AF arrived... is this a new part of PMS?!?

Anyway, just curious if anyone has experienced it. Trying to prepare myself for my appointment with the cardiologist.

TIA

Very glad your situation is benign. Would you be willing to share what techniques the cardio told you about to slow things down?