PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a stuffed animal?

Jacobsmom
12-30-2013, 02:59 PM
DS has a large stuffed Goofy he got when we went to Disney a few months ago. We were at the dr today and DS vomited all over the room and all over Goofy. I normally don't let the stuffed animals go into the drs but he was so sick and just wanted his Goofy.
Any suggestions on how to clean Goofy? He seems to need more than a wipe down. DS was in tears when I told him he needed to be washed. He's afraid he will shrink. :). Thanks for any tips!

wendibird22
12-30-2013, 03:08 PM
I've washed most all stuffed animals. I usually place them in a pillow case closed with a rubber band or hair tie or a mesh bag depending on size then wash on delicate. I've never lost a stuffie to the wash.

twowhat?
12-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Yup I've always washed stuffies in a mesh lingerie bag (a larger one) in the washing machine. And dried them in the drier. I have never lost one either:)

BunnyBee
12-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Yep, throw in the washer! If it's sunny, dry it outside or let it sun for a while.

Jacobsmom
12-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your responses! I've always done hand cleaning with them and didn't want to be the reason Goofy shrunk. Off to give him a much needed bath in the machine!

Indianamom2
12-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Goofy will be fine. I've been there and done that a number of times. Washing him won't shrink him at all. I'd just let him air dry. Just tell your little guy that Goofy has to take a bath just like he does sometimes!

llama8
12-30-2013, 03:40 PM
I usually toss all of the stuffed animals into the laundry with a load of towels. I do air dry them. I haven't lost any yet.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-30-2013, 03:40 PM
oh i've totally just thrown stuffed animals/loveys in the washer. i don't even put them in a bag i just toss it with other things. i dry them in the dryer too. we have stuffed monkeys which are kids' loveys that are 3+ years old, probably been washed & dried dozen times due to vomiting incidents, general ickiness from when kids have colds, spills, etc and they've been fine. yes they do look worn but i don't think that's bc of the washing but more bc they've been well-used/loved :) it will be fine.

flashy09
12-30-2013, 04:32 PM
I put them in the washing machine on cold or warm and then in the dryer on a low setting. They come out clean and full sized so far!

KHF
12-30-2013, 04:42 PM
I wash them all the time. Our cats have gotten mad at us when we've been gone and decided to vent their frustrations on the bins of stuffies, so repeated washings were required. The only one I've ever lost was a long-haired stuffed cat when I forgot to put the dryer on a low setting. It made the long "fur" weird...I think it almost melted!

mommylamb
12-30-2013, 05:01 PM
This happened to me a couple weeks ago with DS2's elmo doll, which is his lovey. Folks here recommended a trip through the washing machine in a pillowcase, and it worked like a charm. He went through the dryer too. Vomit gone.

edurnemk
12-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Yup I've always washed stuffies in a mesh lingerie bag (a larger one) in the washing machine. And dried them in the drier. I have never lost one either:)

:yeahthat: even the ones that say surface clean only go in the washer and they're all fine. Only the ones with electronic parts that can't be removed are not tossed in the washer and dryer.

mackmama
12-30-2013, 07:29 PM
I always put stuffed animals right in the washer and then in the dryer. No problems yet - although maybe putting them in a pillowcase or mesh bag is a better idea... but then I'm not sure the vomit would come off? I'm sorry your DS feels crummy.

onyx8
12-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Toss it right in the washer, add some Nature's Miracle to get the smell out

Jacobsmom
12-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone!! Goofy is clean and looks perfect! Although DS is convinced his legs shrunk. :)

twowhat?
12-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks everyone!! Goofy is clean and looks perfect! Although DS is convinced his legs shrunk. :)

:hysterical: