PDA

View Full Version : Pumping questions

TwoBees
01-03-2014, 11:24 PM
With DD1, I EP'ed, so I pumped on a schedule and both breasts at the same time. With DD2 (2 weeks old) I am BFing but will begin to pump eventually so she can also have some bottles (she will be going to daycare around age 8-12 weeks, and also so DH can share the feedings). I realized I'm not sure how to both BF and pump. When's the best time to begin pumping (eg, when DD is how old?)? Do I pump right after I feed DD? Both sides at the same time, or the side that I last fed from, or the opposite side? How many times per day should I pump in the beginning? Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

lalasmama
01-04-2014, 12:25 AM
For the occasional feeding (or even for building up the freezer stash you would eventually need), I'd recommend pumping after several nursing sessions each day, especially in the morning, when milk is typically most plentiful. You can start whenever you want, though you may want to make sure she's got a good handle on nursing before you start pumping and increasing your supply from that. Really, there's no "right" way to do it!

wellyes
01-04-2014, 12:33 AM
When you're not too exhausted to deal with it!

I went back to work at 12 weeks and I think I started pumping when the baby was maybe 5 weeks old? Both sides after feeding her as she drifted off. I like the idea that the hindmilk (MVP breastmilk) is what she'd get in bottles while I was at work. After pumping a bit, I realized one side was more productive than the other, so I spent more time on that side.

My suggestion is to not overdo it, you don't want to set your breasts up to overproduce, because that can lead to painful engorgement. You should be pumping enough to supply her with bottles daily when you're at work, so the bottles are backup. Of course a lot depends on your supply. I think I was feeding DD 10 times at that point and I probably pumped 2-4 times a day, not every time. HTH.

TxCat
01-04-2014, 03:51 PM
I had the same questions this summer, and I planned to go back to work at 12 weeks. Around the 5-6 week mark I started pumping both sides after one of the morning (ie, before noon) feeds. I did that a couple of times a week. Then, if she skipped a night feed because she was sleeping, sometimes I'd pump before bed. I think I ended up with approx. 30 oz. or more in the freezer by the time I went back to work.

BabbyO
01-06-2014, 01:04 PM
When I was building up my stash for going back to work I found that the easiest thing for me to do was pump first thing in the AM. I was always super full then, so DS' would nurse on one side, while I pumped on the other. I usually got 4-8 oz from a single breast at this session. I also think that this helped me pump once I got back to work since my first experience with a pump was while nursing. DS' triggered letdown. Once I went back to work - the sound of the pump after a minute or so would trigger let down.