PDA

View Full Version : Instant Pot $50 off...

TwinFoxes
01-07-2014, 01:03 AM
Through this blog:
http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pre-order-the-new-instant-pot-7-function-ip-duo-pressure-cooker-lid/

The $50 off is good for any pot, although you're taken to a package that includes a glass lid. I got the soon-to-be released 7 in 1 cooker, but skipped the glass lid. It was $119.

ahisma
01-07-2014, 02:44 AM
Great deal! I have one and love it. Best rice and beans ever - super quick and easy.

123LuckyMom
01-07-2014, 03:32 AM
I recently posted in Cooking about whether I should get this. The low price makes it even more appealing! Thanks!

magnoliaparadise
01-07-2014, 03:32 AM
Thanks for this. Is this basically a crock pot and rice cooker? I read in 123LuckyMom's cooking thread that it can be scary. Why - is it hard to use? I am a very beginner cook, so would love something easy to use so wanted to check.

123LuckyMom
01-07-2014, 04:09 AM
Thanks for this. Is this basically a crock pot and rice cooker? I read in 123LuckyMom's cooking thread that it can be scary. Why - is it hard to use? I am a very beginner cook, so would love something easy to use so wanted to check.

I just clarified in the cooking thread. I'm not afraid it will hurt me. I'm just intimidated because I've never used one before. I wonder whether it will end up gathering dust because I can't figure out how to cook in it, and I fear it will not adequately replace my old rice cooker.

elbenn
01-07-2014, 10:28 AM
What are you guys making in your Instant Pots that you can't make in a crock pot? In other words, how does this differ from a crock pot? I am clueless about these!

athompson
01-07-2014, 10:39 AM
What are you guys making in your Instant Pots that you can't make in a crock pot? In other words, how does this differ from a crock pot? I am clueless about these!
It is a pressure cooker as well (in addition to many other things) and can cook something in 30 minutes that would take 6-8 hrs. in the crockpot.

kristenk
01-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks for posting!

Anyone know the benefit of getting the glass lid?

chlobo
01-07-2014, 11:07 AM
We actually just ruined one of these (long story) so we decided to upgrade to the new version. I can't wait to get it.

elbenn
01-07-2014, 11:39 AM
It is a pressure cooker as well (in addition to many other things) and can cook something in 30 minutes that would take 6-8 hrs. in the crockpot.

Thanks. I've never used a pressure cooker, but it's kind of the opposite of a crock pot in that it's a fast cooker.

larig
01-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Good deal! We preordered one of the 7 in 1 from Amazon for $132 a long time ago.

hellokitty
01-07-2014, 02:14 PM
I had tried a different brand (but returned it, the pressure function only worked once, and then stopped working), but one of the biggest perks of this is that you can BROWN things IN the multicooker, before you set it to cook/pressure cook. IDK about you, but nothing annoys me more than crockpot recipes that req you to brown ingredients on the stove prior to adding it to the crockpot, kwim? This is true one pot cooking and like others pointed out, it is the opposite of the crockpot. It can cook the same things, but in a small fraction of the time a crockpot would take to cook. I would consider getting one of these, just as a back up and it would be nice for when we rent a beach house too.

TwinFoxes
01-07-2014, 06:12 PM
one of the biggest perks of this is that you can BROWN things IN the multicooker, before you set it to cook/pressure cook. IDK about you, but nothing annoys me more than crockpot recipes that req you to brown ingredients on the stove prior to adding it to the crockpot, kwim? This is true one pot cooking and like others pointed out, it is the opposite of the crockpot.

ITA! If you click in the link I posted, the blog includes a video that shows all the features. You can use it as a steamer, crockpot, pressure cooker, rice maker, and now yogurt maker! Good goodness! The size is also nice, I feel like my slow cooker takes up a lot of cabinet space.

weech
01-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Thanks OP! I just ordered the DUO model without the extra lid.

goldenpig
01-08-2014, 04:26 AM
Thanks OP! I just ordered a 7-in-1 DUO with glass lid with the coupon. I hope it's not too redundant with what we already have, because we do have a Zojirushi rice cooker, a West Bend slow cooker (it's an oval pot that goes on top of a warmer, so you can brown meats in the pot), AND a Kuhn Rikon stovetop pressure cooker. We use the pressure cooker a lot to make stews and roasts. We don't use the slow cooker that often for dinner because we're rarely organized enough or have time to prepare food in the morning...but I do use it for potluck dishes like mulled cider or sweet and sour meatballs. I admit DH is usually the one to cook because I'm busy with the kids after work...the baby freaks out if I'm not nursing and/or holding him the whole time after I get home until dinner. But the Instant Pot is appealing because you can set the timing and walk away. It's like a combination of the slow cooker and pressure cooker, but digital/programmable. I may be more likely to help out with dinner if I can just throw meat, veggies and sauce in the pot, press a few buttons and then go play with the kids. I have the feeling I'll still keep the other appliances, because we can make rice with the rice cooker and the main dish with the Instant Pot. I'm curious about the yogurt feature...wondering if it will work with almond or coconut milk. We don't really have much counter space, but I'm getting it with Christmas money I got from the various relatives (aunts, MIL/FIL) so I hope DH doesn't complain.

Interesting side note...looks like they'll be coming out with a Bluetooth edition called the iPot (LOL!):
http://reviews.cnet.com/specialty-appliances/instant-pot/4505-17885_7-35833939.html

Gracemom
01-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Thanks for this OP! I needed a new slow cooker, so I decided to order this one instead. I love, love, love that you don't have to brown things before. And it says that it keeps aromas inside. My smell sensitive DS should be happy about that one. When I use my 13 year old slow cooker, he complains about the smell, as it really does permeate the house for hours!

nfceagles
01-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks for posting!

Anyone know the benefit of getting the glass lid?

I got the current model (it doesn't make yogurt) for Christmas. (And we bought two as gifts.) I think the glass lid can be nice to have when you're sautéing or using it as a slow cooker. You can look in at the food or very easily lift it to check on the food. The main lid is a pressure cooker lid, so it's big, not see-through, and you have to turn to open. Not a big deal and it will work fine as a slow cooker, but I can see how having the glass lid would be nice.

nfceagles
01-08-2014, 10:11 AM

I just got mine and I am still trying to figure that out, but so far I've made two dishes and they both came out great. I bought this cookbook in the kindle edition and I like the look of the recipes.

http://www.amazon.com/Presents-Wardens-Ultimate-Pressure-Recipes/dp/1934193798/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389188964&sr=1-1&keywords=great+fast+food

So far I've made baby potatoes from the cookbook that came with the pot. They were good. Sautéed whole baby potatoes in garlic, olive oil, and rosemary. Then you added chicken broth and closed up the cooker and set it. Then I made a lemon chicken stew that I've made a few times prior from a pinterest recipe. (I am very much an amateur when it comes to soups and stews so this is all new for me.) I found a chicken and noodle soup recipe in the cookbook above and used those cook settings. Basically, I sautéed the chicken for 6-8 minutes, added the carrots, celery and onion and sautéed for another minute. Then I added chicken broth and dry bow-tie pasta, turned the pot on and set it manually to 6 minutes. My regular recipe simmers for 20 minutes before adding the pasta and cooking for another 10. Bear in mind though that the 6 minutes is how long it cooks once it gets up to full pressure. So it was 5-10 minutes before the pot started the 6 minute countdown, but the pot took care of all the timing. Some recipes call for a quick release of pressure, ie. you turn a switch and let the steam come out, while others use a natural release which means you let the pot cool until the pressure drops on its own. I think that takes about 20 minutes.

Put my pot in the dishwasher both times and it came out great.

I bought mine to replace some crockpots. I have ones without removeable crocks which makes cleanup a pain so I wanted a new one anyway and I hate having to brown things first in a separate pan, so I got an Instant Pot instead. Plus, I'm rarely good at thinking about dinner early enough to start the crock pots cooking.

I really am hoping this doesn't turn into another kitchen gadget that lives in my cupboards unused. So far so good. It is big. Bigger than most round slow cookers.

Blue Hydrangea
01-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Oh you guys! The BBB strikes again making me want to spend my money on something that I didn't know about before this thread! I think I want this, or maybe need it ? ;) I don't know. I have a tiny kitchen with 4 over stuffed cabinets as it is. But I need it, right?

On a side note, is anyone concerned about the 4 star Amazon review from the hip pressure cooking lady? And says the uninsulated sides of the pot will burn tomato sauce? I thought I could use it for that, but I guess not.

TwinFoxes
01-08-2014, 01:22 PM
I bought mine to replace some crockpots. I have ones without removeable crocks which makes cleanup a pain so I wanted a new one anyway and I hate having to brown things first in a separate pan, so I got an Instant Pot instead. Plus, I'm rarely good at thinking about dinner early enough to start the crock pots cooking.

I really am hoping this doesn't turn into another kitchen gadget that lives in my cupboards unused. So far so good. It is big. Bigger than most round slow cookers.

I'm in a similar boat. I like my crockpot, but I'm constantly forgetting to start it. And it's one I never would have bought, it was a gift. I'm glad you've used it a few times with success. I'm also worried it will gather dust, but if it is better than my current crockpot, at least I'll use that function.

Just at an FYI, the new 7 in 1 is smaller, but cooks the same amount, according to the hip pot video.

sucantien89
01-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Thanks for posting this deal, I'm going to check out after work.

nfceagles
01-08-2014, 04:23 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/09/a6azyzav.jpg

Browning a pot roast in my instant pot right now.

123LuckyMom
01-08-2014, 04:46 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/09/a6azyzav.jpg

Browning a pot roast in my instant pot right now.

Hitting the "Like" button!

nfceagles
01-08-2014, 07:52 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/09/huty3a9a.jpg

Came out yummy and very tender. Took about 2:30 hours total time. Heat oil. Brown outside. Add stock and seasonings. Pressure cook for 85 minutes (plus the 6 minutes it took to get up to pressure). Quick release of steam. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, onions. Pressure cook for 5 minutes (plus the 15 minutes it took to build pressure, not sure why so much longer than first time). Let pot cool for 10 minutes, then release remaining steam. Move food to serving platter and whisk in a corn starch slurry and butter. Simmer 2 minutes to make a gravy. Definitely one of the more lengthy recipes for this pot, but not hard and I've never decided to make pot roast at 3pm. The recipes in that book I mentioned are easy to follow, but they don't tell you how long it will take to build pressure, so I'll take notes for future reference just so I know how to time dinner. Clean up was very easy. Everything including the pot went straight into the dishwasher.

elbenn
01-09-2014, 10:36 AM
I decided that I would probably use the instant pot and so I went to order it...and it's out of stock. Oh, well. It was a great price.

cagey
01-09-2014, 11:08 AM
I bit the bullet and am excited--my crock pot is as old as the hills, and I'd rather replace with a multi-pot. My only worry (?) is that I rarely have 2 hours before dinner except on weekends--either its a 30 min quick pan/broil/grilling exercise or all.day.long cook in the crock pot. Hopefullly the cook-and-keep-warm function will work well for dinners like the above!

123LuckyMom
01-09-2014, 01:02 PM
I decided that I would probably use the instant pot and so I went to order it...and it's out of stock. Oh, well. It was a great price.

Thanks for posting this. I was waffling between using that coupon or just getting it through Amazon with the credit from the Zojirushi. I was waiting for the credit to come through, but when I went to Amazon, the price had gone up to just under $160. The item was still in my cart and showing at $131 there, so I bit the bullet! It says they will be back in stock in late February, and I will receive mine around March 4th. I feel okay about the extra $10, but I'm sad about the delay!

elbenn
01-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Thanks for posting this. I was waffling between using that coupon or just getting it through Amazon with the credit from the Zojirushi. I was waiting for the credit to come through, but when I went to Amazon, the price had gone up to just under $160. The item was still in my cart and showing at $131 there, so I bit the bullet! It says they will be back in stock in late February, and I will receive mine around March 4th. I feel okay about the extra $10, but I'm sad about the delay!

Thank you for posting. I went to Amazon and you can still get the 7 in 1 for $132. You have to choose Instant Pot as the seller, otherwise it's $160.

Melaine
01-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Thanks for this OP! I needed a new slow cooker, so I decided to order this one instead. I love, love, love that you don't have to brown things before. And it says that it keeps aromas inside. My smell sensitive DS should be happy about that one. When I use my 13 year old slow cooker, he complains about the smell, as it really does permeate the house for hours!

The smell thing is a big selling point for me! I sometimes don't even want to eat after smelling dinner all day. i can't believe you guys are making me think I need something new again. Really? i never heard of this!

chlobo
01-09-2014, 02:39 PM
I found this deal online and that's how I purchased it:

http://www.dealmoon.com/50-Off-Instant-Pot-Model-LUX50-and-LUX60-and-new-IP-DUO60/185639.html So buying direct its $120 for the 7 in 1.

brianaw
01-09-2014, 03:33 PM
I found this deal online and that's how I purchased it:

http://www.dealmoon.com/50-Off-Instant-Pot-Model-LUX50-and-LUX60-and-new-IP-DUO60/185639.html So buying direct its $120 for the 7 in 1.

I can't believe I'm buying a pressure cooker! Watching the steam come out freaks me out... I have no idea what I will use it for. I have 3 slow cookers and an awesome dutch oven I use often. But dang it, I think I'm going to buy one!

nfceagles
01-09-2014, 04:14 PM
I bit the bullet and am excited--my crock pot is as old as the hills, and I'd rather replace with a multi-pot. My only worry (?) is that I rarely have 2 hours before dinner except on weekends--either its a 30 min quick pan/broil/grilling exercise or all.day.long cook in the crock pot. Hopefullly the cook-and-keep-warm function will work well for dinners like the above!

The nice thing is you can use it as a slow cooker when you need to put the food in early. Most recipes don't take nearly as long as that pot roast.

123LuckyMom
01-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Okay. Since this board seems to have single handedly caused a run on the instant pot, it is IMPERATIVE that we share recipes and timing information! So many of us are newbies, and we owe it to each other to make sure these things don't just gather dust in our cupboards!!! What I'm saying is, PLEASE HELP ME!!!

elbenn
01-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Okay. Since this board seems to have single handedly caused a run on the instant pot, it is IMPERATIVE that we share recipes and timing information! So many of us are newbies, and we owe it to each other to make sure these things don't just gather dust in our cupboards!!! What I'm saying is, PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I second this. I need some ideas for recipes and I definitely don't want another appliance that barely gets used.

TwinFoxes
01-09-2014, 06:58 PM

i will help! I've never used a pressure cooker before, but I'm feeling gung-ho. So funny that we seem to have made it OOS. I was checking the Hip Pressure cooking FB page. She had some recipes that look really promising.

I too am looking forward to fewer odors. Not for me, but for my charming DDs who love announcing "something smells awful!"

fivi2
01-09-2014, 09:12 PM
I asked for it for Christmas thanks to a thread in the lounge about gifts for yourself. But I haven't opened it yet. Would love ideas as I have never used a pressure cooker or a slow cooker!

nfceagles
01-10-2014, 12:07 AM
We should start an Instant Pot Cooking Club in the cooking forum!

123LuckyMom
01-10-2014, 12:18 AM
Thanks for volunteering to help, TwinFoxes! We absolutely SHOULD have a instant pot cooking club, nfceagles! I've been looking a bit on the internet for recipes. So far I haven't found a poultry one I really want to try. We mostly eat boneless skinless chicken or roasted whole chicken, ground turkey or turkey breast, fish, and seafood, and I'm always looking for good recipes that don't use cans of cream of something soup in them! Those recipes always taste delicious, but I'd weigh a million pounds if I ate like that every day!

brianaw
01-10-2014, 03:36 PM
I agree.... we need a Pressure Cooking Forum! I not only bought one, but I talked 3 other friends into buying one. So I guess I should get some tips and recipes for all of them (and me), so it doesn't just collect dust in my garage.

Seriously though, I shouldn't have looked on google about the yearly accidents. Kind of freaked a little now! Maybe I should break out my kids rainwear and their helmets before I attempt to use it! :)

emilykate
01-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Anyone know when this is supposed to ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

123LuckyMom
01-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Anyone know when this is supposed to ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm supposed to get mine the first week in March.

goldenpig
01-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Mine said ships end of Jan (ordered from OP's link).

MMMommy
01-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Okay, I am in for one Instant Pot IP-DUO60 with glass lid. Something I probably don't need, but am intrigued by after reading this thread. I couldn't resist! It was out of stock when I last checked and is available again for pre-ordering now. Yay! Thanks for posting.

brianaw
01-15-2014, 01:57 PM
I received an email that mine is shipping in February and due to it being back ordered they are throwing in some sealing ring or something like that.

That gives me a month to start finding recipes!