PDA

View Full Version : How bad is a 6/10 on undercover tourist crowd schedule?

Reader
01-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Toying with the idea of mid-week late May or early June. We have been to Disneyland but not Disneyworld. Is it doable or are we just going to be miserable waiting in line the entire day? We are also thinking about Universal Studios- would it be any better? I don't even know if my kids can handle the heat. We are all kind of weather wimps- at 75 degrees, they say it's hot. This would be the only time we could work it in this year.

123LuckyMom
01-07-2014, 10:37 PM
6 out of 10 will be FINE so long as you have a touring plan. In fact, I bet it will be fine even without one. Honestly, with a good touring plan you can even go when the crowds are at a 9, and you won't spend too much time in line.

I can't speak to the weather. I refuse to go to Florida any time between April and October. I'm that afraid of the heat!

kboyle
01-07-2014, 11:39 PM
We went in August last yr and most of the days we went were 6or7/10 days and one 8/10 day. We rarely waited in major lines nor did we find it unbearable. BUT my boys weren't as interested in many things other than at Hollywood Studios and we never try and wait for characters, we save character dining for those experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

fivi2
01-08-2014, 08:22 AM
We went in August last yr and most of the days we went were 6or7/10 days and one 8/10 day. We rarely waited in major lines nor did we find it unbearable. BUT my boys weren't as interested in many things other than at Hollywood Studios and we never try and wait for characters, we save character dining for those experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

We did August also. Our crowds started around 6/7. The crowds weren't that terrible, imo (although we did leave most parks in the afternoon) but we had a touring plan at got there at rope drop most days.

But it will be hot. I am from somewhere hotter and we managed, but it will be hot. I don't think June (or even late May) will feel significantly different from August, but obviously that depends on several variables! There are ways to cool off, but only you can determine if your family can put up with the heat (and humidity)!

wendibird22
01-08-2014, 03:48 PM
I just returned from 5 days at the park last week...the busiest week of the year. Every day was an 8-10 depending on day and park. We totally had a blast. The key is to arrive at rope drop. We managed rope drop all 5 days and were able to get on most rides right away. We had the Lines app from Touring Plans but honestly I thought it sucked. It just didn't work for us. So instead we used the Disney app to monitor wait times and FP return times. Usually DH or I would take the girls on 1 popular ride right away (or in line for a popular character right away) while the other parent went to get FP for something or ride a ride the kids couldn't. So for example, one day at MK, right at park open DH took the girls to wait in line for Belle and I went and rode Space Mountain and upon exiting got DH a FP for Space Mountain. We met somewhere and I took the girls for something else and he went and rode Space Mountain. At the next available FP time we got FPs for whatever we wanted to do next in priority (like Peter Pan). Even on the 9/10 days it didn't get noticeably crowded until say 1pm. The only exception is NYE when MK closed to capacity at 9am. We weren't there that day thank god.

123LuckyMom
01-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Whatever plan you use, know that the crowds will be heaviest at lunch time and in the early afternoon. As PP's have mentioned, taking a break in the afternoon is a great idea. We got to the park at rope drop, ate lunch at about 11:30am, went back to the hotel and returned to the park at 3 or 4, and stayed until closing or until after the night time show. It worked great. We loved the Lines app, btw. We did have to continually recalculate but felt it never steered us wrong as far as order of rides and wait times.

Reader
01-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks, maybe it is doable. We tag team a lot at Disneyland, one of us going to get a FP while the other waits in line. At DL they let kids age 7 ride alone, so my 7 & 9 year old rode many rides alone as "single riders", with me at the entrance and DH at the exit. Maybe if we go first thing in the morning, then take a break for the heat & come back in the evening it will be ok. I am intimidated by the size of Disneyworld compared to Disneyland/California Adventure. Time to start studying, I guess.

Gracemom
01-10-2014, 12:32 PM
You will be totally fine! The best strategy for us (2 kids aged 7 and 10) is to go at rope drop, use fast passes and ride popular rides before the crowds hit, have lunch, then head back to the hotel for a swim/rest. Then head back late afternoon/early evening for cooler temps and fireworks, etc. Are you staying onsite? When we went in December, we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and loved it. We had magic bands and were able to make 3 fast passes ahead of time for each day. That really helped us not have to stand in line much. Have fun!