PDA

View Full Version : Kid ski packages.... any deals?

tarnator
01-09-2014, 01:19 AM
We are taking the kids skiing for a week. We were hoping to borrow a friend's skis but no one has any little tiny stuff left! :)

I will be only putting our 5 year old in the ski camp, but expect to pass stuff down to her sister over the years. Maybe it is worth getting some of our own equipment if the price it right! Any tips for online vendors?

WatchingThemGrow
01-09-2014, 07:31 AM
I thought some of the ski schools included rentals. Check where you're going.

cilantromapuche
01-09-2014, 07:40 AM
there are some great deals at ski shops. i would just find a ski shop and buy used for less than $150 for everything. But PP is right, most ski schools include rentals.

MSWR0319
01-09-2014, 08:59 AM
there are some great deals at ski shops. i would just find a ski shop and buy used for less than $150 for everything. But PP is right, most ski schools include rentals.

We're taking DS in a few weeks and decided since he's 5 we'll rent this time to see if he even likes it. It's only $10 to rent with the ski school. I am planning on getting him his own goggles though, so if anyone she's a deal on those that would be great!

o_mom
01-09-2014, 09:02 AM
When we looked into buying, it was not worth it, even for a week-long trip. Most places either included rental with ski school or gave a large discount (cost was like $15/day). When we factored in the cost of equipment, even used, the cost of getting them tuned and waxed and so on, it really didn't make sense for fast growing little kids. If we were able to go more than once a year it would make more sense, but DH and I couldn't even justify it for ourselves at this point. Also, if you buy used from a private person, make sure the bindings are still able to be serviced. Many shops won't touch bindings over 10-12 years old (depends on the manufacturer).

ETA: I might consider purchasing their own helmet if it wasn't included in the rentals. We used the kids goggles from Walmart with no issues. Just make sure not to over-tighten them so they can vent and not fog.

Jen841
01-09-2014, 09:18 AM
We did....
-season rentals from a local store ($120 a season)
-bought helmets at the consignment sale at our store (one was new in the box)

It is 50/50 chance here with the learn to ski packages allowing you to use your own gear. They don't seem to give you a break financially if you have your own equipment or passes (4th and 5th graders can apply to ski free in PA.)

When traveling to CO we used to rent at the offsite places for the period of our stays. It was cheaper than flying with the gear. Our local friends always has coupons for us.

nfowife
01-09-2014, 09:29 AM
You have to fit the boots to the bindings on the skis so if you are not buying to use a lot, it's probably not worth it to purchase for one trip. We own skis this year for the 2 older kids and my DH but we live in an area with skiing and my kids go at least weekly right now plus weekly lessons so for us, it's worth it. In your situation I would absolutely rent. When we went on a ski trip a few years ago a lot of the rental places rented kids skis free with an adult rental, so check into that. Where are you skiing?

My kids got their helmets and goggles from sierra trading post. I got Giro helmets and bolle goggles for them for less than $30/kid and those will last a few years so I am happy with that investment. Also this year I ended up getting my older DD new ski boots vs. used (she does have used skis and DS has used boots and skis). I got her adjustable boots and she is on the smallest size right now so I expect the boots will last her a good 3-4 years and then her younger brother can use them so for $100 it was a good investment for us.

Momit
01-09-2014, 10:22 AM
This is DS's second year skiing. We rent skis through the ski school package (included in the price at both places we've gone). We did buy a good helmet for him but there was a helmet in the rental package as well.

jamesmom
01-09-2014, 10:34 AM
I second the recommendation to rent all equipment except for the helmet and goggles, especially if your DC is taking ski lessons. Rentals are usually included in any learn to ski programs. We purchased our goggles and helmets on Amazon and at our local Army and Navy store.

We have been skiing for quite a few years, and I usually rent skis, boots and poles for DS and DD for the season. That may not be true for everyone, but my DCs seem to grow out of ski boots very quickly. I have actually taken boots back to the rental shop during ski season to exchange for bigger size boots. Whenever I did that, I also had to bring the skis back to get the bindings adjusted. For that reason alone, we have found it more worthwhile to rent rather than buy equipment.

Enjoy your ski trip!

Jen841
01-09-2014, 10:56 AM
If it helps for price points...
Our local store has a few pair of youth goggles that are $28 and up
We bought a new helmet at the sale for @$25 I believe. I just went to check the box but DH tosses it. The new price on it was @ $70 I believe.

Kids do need to try on helmets. My 8 year olds is bigger than my 10 year old.

Kids love their helmets! They wanted them for playing in the snow since they are so warm.

tarnator
01-09-2014, 05:38 PM
OK,
I looked around and did some checking. 3 days of rentals at the mountain would be $60. We are then going to be needing another 4 days over march break but expect that they might be less expensive at the other mountain. So....roughly $100 to rent for this year. Eek!

There are some leasing programs locally that I am going to look in to. Craigslist has nothing at the moment. I am going to a 2nd hand store today too.

I did find a great deal on ski packages at levelninesports.com for $219. The real advantage is the awesome boots that are size adjustable! So they are heavily in the running right now, especially since we can hand them down and then probably resell them for 1/2 of that.... :)

cilantromapuche
01-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Keep in mind to add the cost of getting the bindings mounted, etc. That might be another $25 or so. We did find some great skis at our salvation army. We don't need those sizes yet but set them aside.

trales
01-10-2014, 10:04 AM
We were given the skis from a friend, they tend to be about $75 - 100 with bindings at our used ski swaps. We did a boot rental club through a local outfitter, they will swap the boots if the kids feet grow that season etc. That was $40 for the season. She has her own helmet and goggles (bought on super/ duper sale). It was $15 to get the bindings adjusted to fit the boots. I think it makes a lot of sense to rent for the season. We like in ski country, the kids go once a week through school and I know very few families who own equip for kids, most rent for the season.

tarnator
01-11-2014, 12:50 AM
I found a couple of local lease programs that will size you up throughout the season. But they were $140! I don't think so...

Anyway, I got lucky and found a CL listing for a set with boots for $60!!! Sent out DH to get them today and they will work perfectly, I hope. I still might pick up those ROCES boots for next year when we have to outfit the second kid. :)

Thanks ladies.