PDA

View Full Version : Can't you see that i am backing up!!!

SASM
01-10-2014, 02:37 PM
I am soooo frustrated with people that continue to drive (and WALK!!!) behind me as I back out of my parking spot!!! YES...I am being cautious but I am not that slow. REALLY people?? They even do it while I am trying to back INTO a parking spot...REALLY?? I honestly have NEVER experienced this before moving here...strange death wish!

barkley1
01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm from nc originally. I think it's so common for everyone to be so overly nice in giving the peds the right of way, not honking at everybody left and right, etc (IME) that folks just assume they have the right of way all the time! That's funny. I've never thought about it, but you're right!

SnuggleBuggles
01-10-2014, 04:44 PM
I never consider that someone will be backing into a parking space (unless parallel parking) so I could easily get in the way. Just isn't a common enough parking strategy around here (not NC). :)

Pennylane
01-10-2014, 05:35 PM
I am so with you! They won't even stop if you are half way out of the space, just whip around me. So frustrating!

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

SASM
01-12-2014, 09:31 AM
I never consider that someone will be backing into a parking space (unless parallel parking) so I could easily get in the way. Just isn't a common enough parking strategy around here (not NC). :)
Yes...after soooooo many instances with ppl driving behind me or walking behind me, as I am halfway into the aisle backing out of my spot, I decided that if I couldn't pull through into a spot, I would start backing into a spot as I have an awesome backup camera with guides (although no sound alerts). A new strategy so I could easily see ppl as I pull out. But no...as I back up ppl STILL walk behind me. I am NOT slow so this boggles my mind.

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Just park towards the back of the lot. :). I started doing that...probably back when I lived in NC. :). It's extra exercise (always good) and you just get out of the mess. I'm glad you have the tech bc you'd totally hit me walking otherwise bc I really never look for backing in folks.

SASM
01-12-2014, 09:37 AM
I am so with you! They won't even stop if you are half way out of the space, just whip around me. So frustrating!

Ann

So it's NOT just me!!!

SASM
01-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Just park towards the back of the lot. :). I started doing that...probably back when I lived in NC. :). It's extra exercise (always good) and you just get out of the mess. I'm glad you have the tech bc you'd totally hit me walking otherwise bc I really never look for backing in folks.
Good point!!! I USED to do that!!! Problem solved...except when I am at Costco and would just be thrilled to find ANY spot! ;) Come to think of it, this happens a lot at Costco! Shoppers daydreaming of their Costco purchases! :)

happymom
01-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Come to NYC and try driving/parking there and you'll feel a lot better, lol. I don't live in NYC but I recently went to a Broadway show with my sister and its just unbelievable the way dozens of people keep walking behind (and in front, and on the sides of...) your car while you're trying to drive or park. We found a spot and were trying to back up into it and someone actually banged on the trunk of the car as if WE were doing something wrong by backing up when he wanted to walk there. And that's normal there! You have to see it to believe it!

lizzywednesday
01-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Come to NYC and try driving/parking there and you'll feel a lot better, lol. I don't live in NYC but I recently went to a Broadway show with my sister and its just unbelievable the way dozens of people keep walking behind (and in front, and on the sides of...) your car while you're trying to drive or park. We found a spot and were trying to back up into it and someone actually banged on the trunk of the car as if WE were doing something wrong by backing up when he wanted to walk there. And that's normal there! You have to see it to believe it!

Driving in NYC is a full-contact sport.

I can do it, but I choose not to. I'd rather take the train.

cuca_
01-12-2014, 04:15 PM

Same thing outside of the city. We lived in Westchester county for a long time, an I cannot tell you how often this happened. People banging on the trunk, walking in front of the car as I was pulling in and behind it when I was pulling out. My favorite, though, were the drivers who would honk when they turned into a lane and saw you pulling out. They could be 10 cars away, but wanted to make sure you stopped. God forbid they have to wait while you got your car in motion.

We are now in the Midwest and drivers are much more polite. However, no one is ever in a hurry which can be a pain in some situation.

Green_Tea
01-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Hmmm. It's been a long time since I took driver's ed, but my understanding has always been that the party that is backing up (or any car moving contrary to the general flow) is the one to yield the right-of-way. It's frustrating when you're in a rush, and it's always nice when someone allows you out, but in the scenario you describe I am pretty sure the onus is one you to stop, not them.

cuca_
01-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Hmmm. It's been a long time since I took driver's ed, but my understanding has always been that the party that is backing up (or any car moving contrary to the general flow) is the one to yield the right-of-way. It's frustrating when you're in a rush, and it's always nice when someone allows you out, but in the scenario you describe I am pretty sure the onus is one you to stop, not them.

The thing is that most parking lots are private property, so transit laws do not apply. My car was once hit by a car that invaded the opposite lane to go around me while I was pulling out of a spot. The police would not even come when we called them, because they had no jurisdiction.

Green_Tea
01-12-2014, 05:11 PM
The thing is that most parking lots are private property, so transit laws do not apply. My car was once hit by a car that invaded the opposite lane to go around me while I was pulling out of a spot. The police would not even come when we called them, because they had no jurisdiction.

I'm sorry that happened to you. You are correct that transit laws do not apply in parking lots. In spite of that, it courteous and polite to play by commonly accepted rules to cut down on incidents like the one you describe. I believe that yielding to the flow of traffic is one of those commonly accepted rules (even if it's not legally enforceable). I freely honk at cars that are attempting to back out of a space when there are other cars traveling in the lane because what they are doing is dangerous. I was always taught to wait until the lane was completely free of traffic before backing out (unless a car is waiting because they want your spot.) Just as I wouldn't back into traffic on a main road, nor will I do so in a parking lot.

cuca_
01-12-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you. You are correct that transit laws do not apply in parking lots. In spite of that, it courteous and polite to play by commonly accepted rules to cut down on incidents like the one you describe. I believe that yielding to the flow of traffic is one of those commonly accepted rules (even if it's not legally enforceable). I freely honk at cars that are attempting to back out of a space when there are other cars traveling in the lane because what they are doing is dangerous. I was always taught to wait until the lane was completely free of traffic before backing out (unless a car is waiting because they want your spot.) Just as I wouldn't back into traffic on a main road, nor will I do so in a parking lot.

Yes. I guess we are talking about two different things. I'm referring to situations were the area is clear and once your halfway out of the spot someone comes in the lane and honks to get you to stop and drive around you. It is also courteous and polite to stop your car when your lane is blocked, rather than swerve around into the opposite lane. Maybe I did not explain the situation well.

niccig
01-13-2014, 02:33 AM
I know I should yield when I'm backing out, but I can't always see a car that's zipping down the lane until it's right behind me. I use my mirrors, have a back up camera and I still get surprised by someone walking or driving behind me - THEY can easily see me. I can't easily see them. Just stop and wait for me to get all they way out.

Tondi G
01-13-2014, 03:22 PM

Ann

I have the same problems here in Los Angeles! People are just oblivious ... or stupid ... not sure! We also have the problem of people driving/walking with their Phone in their face, texting..... Los Angeles the land of the iPhone!

Tondi G
01-13-2014, 03:24 PM
I know I should yield when I'm backing out, but I can't always see a car that's zipping down the lane until it's right behind me. I use my mirrors, have a back up camera and I still get surprised by someone walking or driving behind me - THEY can easily see me. I can't easily see them. Just stop and wait for me to get all they way out.

Nope, everyone is always in such a damn hurry!!!