PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place for info on FP+?

KrisM
01-15-2014, 11:46 AM
I know it is constantly changing and I see bits and pieces, but am not sure where to look for the best info. I believe at 60 days we can start making picks and I know some parks have tiered picks. So, I need to figure this out.

wendibird22
01-15-2014, 12:18 PM
I found this helpful and it is up to date on where FP+ is being used: http://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/fastpass
Scroll 1/2 down for info on FP+

The "tiers" (where you can only select 1 popular attraction) is in effect at Epcot and HS but not AK or MK.

ETA: there are links for additional info on FP+ for each specific park about 1/4 way down the page which helps you to prioritize which FP+ to get.

KrisM
01-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks. That helps quite a bit.

Do you happen to know how the 60 bookings work? Is it like the ADRs and I can book for 10 days at the 60 day mark? Or will I need to do it one day at a time ?

wendibird22
01-15-2014, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure as we weren't FP+ eligible when we visited last month. I do recall though in MyDisneyExperience that when I clicked on the FP+ link it would show me like a 5 day calendar view but I don't know if you'd have the whole window of days or just those w/in the 60 day timeframe.

jenstring95
01-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Thanks. That helps quite a bit.

Do you happen to know how the 60 bookings work? Is it like the ADRs and I can book for 10 days at the 60 day mark? Or will I need to do it one day at a time ?

You can do your whole trip at once, or at least we could a few days ago. I'm not gonna lie; I'm nervous about this whole FP+ thing!!

jenstring95
01-15-2014, 02:24 PM
I found this helpful and it is up to date on where FP+ is being used: http://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/fastpass
ETA: there are links for additional info on FP+ for each specific park about 1/4 way down the page which helps you to prioritize which FP+ to get.

Thank you for this link. It is exactly what I have been looking for but have been unable to find so succinctly.

KrisM
01-15-2014, 02:33 PM
You can do your whole trip at once, or at least we could a few days ago. I'm not gonna lie; I'm nervous about this whole FP+ thing!!

Thank you. Me too, but I'm nervous about the whole trip!

I just went to the My Disney Experience site and it says I have 80 days until my trip. It also said "Congratulations! You can start your Fastpass + Selections". When I clicked on get started, it then said "Sorry, one of your parties must be within the window to make selections". How confusing is that??

egoldber
01-15-2014, 02:46 PM
I have to say that this FP+ thing is horribly confusing! We are going at the end of this month, don't have tickets yet and frankly I don't have the time to map out Fastpasses weeks ahead of time! What a PITA. I can't even commit to restaurants weeks ahead of time, much less rides!!!

jenstring95
01-15-2014, 10:48 PM
Thank you. Me too, but I'm nervous about the whole trip!

I just went to the My Disney Experience site and it says I have 80 days until my trip. It also said "Congratulations! You can start your Fastpass + Selections". When I clicked on get started, it then said "Sorry, one of your parties must be within the window to make selections". How confusing is that??

As if it needed to get any more confusing, right?

wendibird22
01-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Honestly I so so glad that we went in early Jan before widescale FP+ roll out. Tradition FP was still in play at all 4 parks while the resort guests did have access to FP+. What I don't like is that it'll limit you to 3-4 FP for the entire day. We got to the parks at rope drop each day and easily got 6 or so FPs at MK and HS and prob 3-4 at EP (didn't need them at AK). And this was even being there at the busiest time of the year. I get that the reasoning is to allow the max number of guests to get FPs and to keep some guests from just going FP crazy but hey, if I can get my butt there early and work the system to my advantage why wouldn't I? But now, you'll have to decide what few things you don't want to wait in line for and know you'll have to wait in line for everything else and be prepared to make on site changes at glorified ATM machines. I think it'll be so much harder too for families with smaller children to navigate dividing the older/taller people from the smaller/younger on which rides to do. For example one day at MK DH upon rope drop took the 2 girls to Belle (which is on FP+ now) while I went alone to ride SM. After I got off the ride I got DH a FP for SM. As soon as he finished with Belle he got 2 FP (for me and older DD) for Splash Mountain. Once all 4 of us were eligible for another FP we got one for all 4 of us for Peter Pan. I think it would be really hard to sit at my computer and figure out DH is going to do 1, 2, 3, DD1 will do 2, 3 with DH, I'm going to do 4, 5, 6 and DD1 will do 4 with me. Traditional FP wasn't tied to a specific guest (I could take DHs card to the machine for a FP and use it myself later) but now with the magic bands it is. I just think it's a lot of work.

KrisM
01-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Yes! This is our first visit ever. I almost want to postpone it until next year. I can handle making choices, I suppose. But, things keep changing and who knows what will be going on in 3 months.

cagey
01-16-2014, 04:45 PM
I have to say that this FP+ thing is horribly confusing! We are going at the end of this month, don't have tickets yet and frankly I don't have the time to map out Fastpasses weeks ahead of time! What a PITA. I can't even commit to restaurants weeks ahead of time, much less rides!!!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!! We're doing a one-day visit (tacked onto a Florida trip) and I really feel that all of this ADR and FP+ is going to absolutaly kill the impuse/local visitor base and forcing people into multi day (i.e. $$) extravaganzas.

On a side note, just thinking about the amount of data that is being collected with the Magic Bands is stunning. Their management is insanely proficient anyway, but now with everything automated? It def.freaks me out. Lets hope there's no Data breach with with their servers!

KrisM
01-16-2014, 06:56 PM
We did make ADRs for many of our days. However we can cancel most the day off and the rest, the day before with no penalty. I am sure we can find satisfying things to eat even if we cancel at the last minute for some reason. But, with the FP+, I feel like if we change our plans or have a sick kid one day and miss a FP+ reservation, we might never get the opportunity to get a FP for that ride again. It's not as simple as just going on another ride and calling it good. The other option will end up a long wait in a standby line.