PDA

View Full Version : Paging Lalasmama or other DCA fans

PunkyBoo
01-15-2014, 01:43 PM
We are going to DCA for one mid - week day next month for my boys' birthdays. The day we picked is at or below a 2 on the crowd calendars I've looked at. I have a couple of questions. ..
Our "must do" list includes:
Radiator Springs Racers
Soaring over CA
The 8:15 World of Color
We also plan to do a character meal, most likely Chip & Dale's breakfast.

Do I need to worry about getting Fast Passes for our "must do"s or will the crowd be light enough to not worry about that?
If I do need them, can you recommend a strategy so I can get all the ones we want but still do a character breakfast? Boo still naps most days- he'll be fine without but since we plan to stay for WOC (and leave to go home right afterward), I'm not sure we should be starting the day TOO early.
Will having the FP for WOC give us a different viewing area than the people who just show up and stand in line?
Are strollers allowed in the WOC viewing area?
Any other recommendations? Our "really hope to do" list includes Animation Academy, Carsland rides, bakery tour, Pixar Parade, and I'll probably take Boo to see the Disney Jr show while Punkin and DH do the more intense rides.

We've been to DCA before but only once briefly since Carsland opened (we'd done a full day at DL but had park hopper tickets so we went over to DCA for dinner and to walk around and check it out before going home - Boo slept through most of that walk anyway).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

sariana
01-15-2014, 02:10 PM
I haven't been to DCA since before Carsland opened, but I do know that my DD never was tall enough for Soaring. I think the racers has a relatively (for Disney) high height limit too. So make sure you check those on the web site before getting anyone's heart set on any particular rides.

A crowd of 2 is pretty low, right? I think you'll be fine. IME the bigger problem at CA is running out of things to do, especially since it seems to skew a bit older/taller (Screamin', rapids, Tower of Terror which absolutely paralyzed my DS!). I suspect Carsland helped, but that's still only 3 more rides.

lalasmama
01-15-2014, 04:39 PM
At work now, but will do a real reply when I get home this evening. In short, you will need FP for Racers, or wait in a 2-hour line. I believe the height requirement is 40" but it may be higher. You'll need a FP for WOC (hard to see it otherwise). WOC and Racers FPs don't count against holding other FPs. Don't trust the crowd calendars--remember, Cars Land has only been open for 18mos or so, so there's not really much history to draw from for crowds with the "new" DCA.

I'll write more in depth when work is done and I'm not trying to type on an iPhone, lol :)

PunkyBoo
01-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the replies! Last year when we went he was already 42" tall (I remember because he was just at the minimum for Matterhorn.) I checked the website and RSR and SOC have 40" minimums. So I think we're ok there.
Lalasmama- any other recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!

bisous
01-15-2014, 06:59 PM
I would head straight for RSR fast passes when you get there. Even on really not crowded days, the line is SO long. The fast passes cut off TONS of time! Then get WOC passes. Getting WOC passes is important but not nearly as time sensitive, not by a mile. HTH, Jen

bisous
01-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Also, my kids adore the Redwood Challenge Trail (I think that's what it is called??) area. LOVE it. Like they'd stay there all day if I let them. It makes me crazy because I always have AT LEAST two kids running off in opposite directions but I find it a nice antidote to standing in lines and eating crummy food, lol.

TwinFoxes
01-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Run, don't walk to get FPs for Radiator Springs. Actually, you won't get near the actual ride. When you see a line of people, near Carthay Circle, get in it, that's the FP line. I went on a rainy April day (not spring break) and the line was incredibly long. When I went in July with my family, I made DH run (literally) ahead to get FPs. DDs and I then went to see how long the standby line was (we got there at rope drop). The standby line was I think 45-60 minutes. So we stood in line, DH got a FP, and we got to ride twice that day. It is so, SO fun. I really think it's the best ride. And I'm someone who loooooves Soarin', plus all of the MK rides. The height limit is definitely 40".

Redwood Challenge was a lot of fun for DDs. DH stayed with them and I went shopping. :)

WOC is great. Sadly the time I went with the family it stopped in the middle. :( I had seen it a few months before, but DH was pretty disappointed.

Oh, Toy Story Mania is really fun! It's not as crazy popular as the one in WDW, even though it's the exact same ride. Monster's inc. ride is cute and fun. I like Tower of Terror, but unless your DC is brave, not a good ride.

Keep an eye out for characters. They are dressed in some awfully cute outfits at DCA. Check out aviatrix Minnie:
http://flic.kr/p/afRv5F

DDs also really enjoyed A Bug's Land. It's an area DH and I had never explored before (we had annual passes when we lived in LA, which was pre-kids). Lots of gentle, yet fun rides.

Have fun!

BayGirl2
01-15-2014, 11:11 PM
We can easily fill 1-2 days in DCA, I don't think there's a risk of running out of things to do.

Which day are you going? If you CAN get there at rope drop, which is prob 9 or 10 this time of year, then go on a Tues or Thurs. those are not early entry days for those staying on site so you will have fewer people ahead of you. At rope drop stay to the right of the rope as you head int Carsland and you'll be ahead of the crowd to get on RSR.

For sure getting in line for an RSR fast pass is the first thing you should d unless you make it on at rope drop. Then send someone to get WOC FPs while the group heads to Toy story. As soon as your window opens up get Soarin FPs. Everything else can be worked in throughout the day.

On the breakfast can you make it for the latest time so you start in the park doing the steps above then head to Grand Californian for a late breakfast/early lunch? Otherwise I'd go as early as possible. The first few hours in the park are when you'll getting he most done.

For WOC you'll need a FP and want to line up about an hour in advance, strollers are allowed. I like to be on the front rail, even though you get a bit wet, because the kids can see. If you can't do that try to be in the front of one of the raised tiers. My kids love that show but it does take some planning for little ones to get a good view.

lalasmama
01-16-2014, 12:26 AM
We are going to DCA for one mid - week day next month for my boys' birthdays. The day we picked is at or below a 2 on the crowd calendars I've looked at. I have a couple of questions. ..

Perfect time to go! Assuming school isn't out for some reason (Pres Day week, for example), then crowds will be generally lighter. Like I said in my earlier message, it's hard to know how accurate a crowd calendar is going to be, because Cars Land has only been open 18 months or so (maybe 19 months!), so they've only had 1-2 examples of each day from that time frame with Cars Land. So, for example, lets say you decided to go Feb 11 because the crowd calendar says it should be a 3. (I don't have a crowd calendar, so this being totally fictional.) However, there's only been two Valentine Weeks since the whole DCA remodel, so the crowd calendar only has those two years to get an accurate idea of how that day "could" be... however, as I understand it, they didn't restart their crowd-gathering information, they just kind of folded the new numbers into the old numbers. So, lets say, historically, the last 10 years on that date have rated as: 2004: 1, 2005: 2, 2006: 1, 2007: 1, 2008: 1, 2009: 1, 2010: 2, 2011: 2, 2012: 9, 2013: 9. That means a crowd calendar program would predict 2014 to be a 2 or 3. Maybe even a 4-5 if they wanted to give weight to more recent numbers... but there's still those older numbers making the numbers skew artificially low. Had they restarted with the DCA remodel, using the above numbers, they would likely rate it a "9". And we all know there's a heck of a difference between a "9" day and a "3" day!

Our "must do" list includes:
Radiator Springs Racers
Soaring over CA
The 8:15 World of Color
We also plan to do a character meal, most likely Chip & Dale's breakfast.

This seems like a totally reasonable list, and would be easy to get done... However, there's not a Chip-n-Dale breakfast. Are you thinking Storyteller's, or Goofy's maybe? That can affect time/planning, obviously, depending on how far you have to go for the meal.

Do I need to worry about getting Fast Passes for our "must do"s or will the crowd be light enough to not worry about that?
If I do need them, can you recommend a strategy so I can get all the ones we want but still do a character breakfast?

Any other recommendations? Our "really hope to do" list includes Animation Academy, Carsland rides, bakery tour, Pixar Parade, and I'll probably take Boo to see the Disney Jr show while Punkin and DH do the more intense rides.

I'd definitely plan on getting some FPs! The line for Soarin' gets long pretty quickly, as does Radiator Springs Racers (RSR from now on, it's too long to write, LOL). My plan would be something like this, based on a 8am opening:
7:00a: "snack" to keep kids happy
8:00a: Rope drop! Option 1: "Wide Right" Technique. Basically, rush to the rope drop for Cars Land, keeping to the far right. As the Cast Member walks everyone back to CL, keep on the right. Make a scramble for RSR as soon as they get out of the way. It will get you in the first 10 minutes or so of the line. On the way out, grab another FP for RSR. It should be a FP for the late afternoon. Option 2: Do Soarin', then get a FP for RSR. The FP line will have died down by then, and should be a FP for the late afternoon. With either option, ride the other CL rides.
9:00a: Head to Bugs Land. Grab a Bakery tour at the same time. Enjoy your 2 pieces of sourdough bread.
10:00a: Your FP window should be open. Grab a Soarin' FP, then head to your character breakfast.
11:30a: Back in the parks, grab your WOC FPs.
12:00p: Check out the Animation Academy building. Make sure to see what time Disney Jr is playing. I think there's usually a show around 1:20ish. You'll likely be the window for your Soarin' FP, so you may want to do that instead of the 1:00 DisJr show, and move the DisJr show down to one of the later times. I'd do the Animation Academy and DisJr at a normal nap time, as a quieter time.
1:20p: Disney Jr show. Maybe send DH and Punkin to do Tower of Terror or other scary ride.
2:00p: Check time for Pixar Parade. Ride Monsters Inc.
3:00p: Grab something for lunch. We do something like corndogs. Grab a FP for something on the way!
4:00p: Your RSR FPs should be valid sometime around now. Do that if it's time. Otherwise, enjoy the last hour of daylight in the Redwood Challenge area.
5:00p: Ariel, maybe, or Toy Story Midway Mania. Try to go at typical meal time for a shorter line.
6:00p: Small snack, and whatever ride sounds good.
7:00p: Quickish dinner, then line up for WOC. Plan on having some dark-time toys to entertain kids. Attempt to get next to a wall, or the front of a barrier, so no one can stand in front of you. Stay here until WOC is done.
9:00p: Head home. It's been a full day!

Boo still naps most days- he'll be fine without but since we plan to stay for WOC (and leave to go home right afterward), I'm not sure we should be starting the day TOO early.

I'd start earlier rather than later... Earlier means lighter crowds, which means its quicker to get through, and less lines!

Will having the FP for WOC give us a different viewing area than the people who just show up and stand in line?
Are strollers allowed in the WOC viewing area?

There's no "just standing in line" for WOC. You need a FP to be in WOC-viewing area.... You can see from other areas, but a FP is really the easiest way. No idea about strollers. I need to look that up for my book :)

BayGirl2
01-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Be sure to check the refurb list on the Disney site before you go. Right now I know Redwood Creek Train is scheduled to be down when we are there in the first week of Feb. There's still plenty to do in a day but you don't want to get the kids' hopes up and then find something is closed.

PunkyBoo
01-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice! I've been dealing with a kid with the flu so it's taken me a bit to respond.

Yes I meant we're planning to have breakfast at storytellers cafe. The park opens at 10. If we do an early character breakfast will we be able to enter the park early? If so would we be able to pull FPs before 10?

The redwood trail thing will be closed. I didn't know what that is but now I'm bummed we'll miss it.

PunkyBoo
01-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Lalasmama- what do you mean "on the way out grab another FP for RSR"?? Can we pull 2 sets of FPs at the same time?

lalasmama
01-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Lalasmama- what do you mean "on the way out grab another FP for RSR"?? Can we pull 2 sets of FPs at the same time?

RSR FPs are "disconnected" from the system. Because the ride is so popular, the FP return window (the time it tells you to come back) is typically many many hours later. Over the summer, we pulled a FP at like 9:30am on a 8am opening, and our return window was late in the evening (after 9pm, I believe). Since the time can be so far away, they allow you to hold a FP for it, along with a FP for another ride at the same time. However, looking back at what I wrote, I didn't mean to say "another" FP... I meant "Grab a FP so you can ride RSR again later".

Seeing that it's a day the park opens at 10:00, I would plan on doing an early breakfast (trying to be out at shortly before 10am), and then doing the rope drop, the "wide right" for your first ride on RSR, then over to get those FPs for RSR.

Tondi G
01-22-2014, 08:44 PM
I would grab your fastpasses for RSR immediately when the park opens. If you are staying in a Disneyland resort hotel you might get early entry into DCA so check into that. If so go straight to the RSR fastpass distribution line .... if you want to ride twice then go directly to the ride and get in line. The other option would be to send your DH to get in line with everyone's tickets to get the fastpass and you head to the ride and get in the line.... he can meet you over there.

My boys love Toy Story Midway Mania so don't miss that one! If they like roller coaster rides, Goofy's Sky School is a fun short one. My 8 yr old loves that ride.

BayGirl2
01-23-2014, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the replies and advice! I've been dealing with a kid with the flu so it's taken me a bit to respond.

Yes I meant we're planning to have breakfast at storytellers cafe. The park opens at 10. If we do an early character breakfast will we be able to enter the park early? If so would we be able to pull FPs before 10?

The redwood trail thing will be closed. I didn't know what that is but now I'm bummed we'll miss it.

Storytellers is not in the park, it's in the Grand Californian Hotel, so it will not get you in early. A
Breakfast at Ariel's might, I'm not sure how early they open.

FP distribution will start at 10. I agree with going straight to RSR, not straight to the FP line, as long so it's not an EE day for hotel guests.

I don't think you are missing too much with the Redwood Trail. It's nice but not the most exciting attraction IMO.

AnnieW625
01-31-2014, 01:25 AM
A crowd of 2 is pretty low, right? I think you'll be fine. IME the bigger problem at CA is running out of things to do, especially since it seems to skew a bit older/taller (Screamin', rapids, Tower of Terror which absolutely paralyzed my DS!). I suspect Carsland helped, but that's still only 3 more rides.

Totally late to this thread, but yeah I do agree with this, granted I haven't been to DCA in 2 yrs. (pre Carsland), but still I don't think I could ever spend more than just 3 to 4 hrs. at DCA, but it is always pretty crowded so I guess enough people really like it. Also Toy Story Mania for us was always a minimum of a 45 minute wait and there are no fast passes.

BayGirl2
01-31-2014, 02:20 AM
Totally late to this thread, but yeah I do agree with this, granted I haven't been to DCA in 2 yrs. (pre Carsland), but still I don't think I could ever spend more than just 3 to 4 hrs. at DCA, but it is always pretty crowded so I guess enough people really like it. Also Toy Story Mania for us was always a minimum of a 45 minute wait and there are no fast passes.
I really don't think you can compare it to what it was before the renovations and additions. It's like a whole different park. Most people on the DIS say 1.5-2 days, we could easily spend that much time. If you are only there for a dew hours you're missing a lot. It also handles crowd pretty well. TSMM for sure should be done in the morning, that and RSR are the only really challenging ride to get on. The rest can be managed with FPs. But there are several shows like Alladan, Disney Jr Live, and Turtle Talk that should be worked into the schedule in addition to the 4 FP rides (Screamin, Grizzly, Soarin, ToT), a lot of smaller rides, and several good places to eat.

sariana
01-31-2014, 02:32 AM
I really don't think you can compare it to what it was before the renovations and additions. It's like a whole different park. Most people on the DIS say 1.5-2 days, we could easily spend that much time. If you are only there for a dew hours you're missing a lot. It also handles crowd pretty well. TSMM for sure should be done in the morning, that and RSR are the only really challenging ride to get on. The rest can be managed with FPs. But there are several shows like Alladan, Disney Jr Live, and Turtle Talk that should be worked into the schedule in addition to the 4 FP rides (Screamin, Grizzly, Soarin, ToT), a lot of smaller rides, and several good places to eat.

But it sounds as though at least one of OP's children is too young for most of the FP rides anyway. I think DCA has plenty for older guests, but it is a bit skimpy for the littlest ones, especially if Redwood Trails is closed.

We went to WoC no long after it premiered, but I have no idea if its any good. Even with FPs I couldn't see a d*** thing. Maybe they've figured out a better set-up by now. But DH, who is 6' tall and could see it, said it wasn't very good. But that was several years ago now.

BayGirl2
01-31-2014, 02:43 AM
But it sounds as though at least one of OP's children is too young for most of the FP rides anyway. I think DCA has plenty for older guests, but it is a bit skimpy for the littlest ones, especially if Redwood Trails is closed.

We went to WoC no long after it premiered, but I have no idea if its any good. Even with FPs I couldn't see a d*** thing. Maybe they've figured out a better set-up by now. But DH, who is 6' tall and could see it, said it wasn't very good. But that was several years ago now.

Well neither of my kids could ride the FP rides on the last trip. But DH and I can with child swap. Even without those there's still plenty to do. The shows I mentioned above are all good for kids, there's also Monsters Inc and Muppets. Bugs land isn't my fave but my kids like it a lot, and Tough to be a Bug. The two non FP rides in Carsland are a lot of fun for kids. Plus all the paradise pier rides besides Toy story, which is a favorite. Oh, and Ariel's of course.

I just think there's a lot to do in DCA that people aren't aware of and you need to plan a bit to catch it all. And I don't think it's fair to give advice based on what it was 3 years ago when so much has changed. There's a reason it's always crowded now, two years after the new additions.

WOC does take some planning. You need to be at a rail with children and that means arriving at least an hour before to get a good spot. However it's accepted practice for one person to hold a spot for the family, so I was able to take DS out and do other things for a bit. Now they also have a light game you can play on your phone with the giant wheel while waiting. If you can see the show well it's amazing. My DS still talks about it almost 2 years later.

Tondi G
01-31-2014, 02:36 PM

For toy story mania we always have one parent stand in the line and the rest of the family joins in when you get closer to the front... the kids can ride the carousel etc. rather than stand around in the line.

PunkyBoo
02-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks for all the great tips! We went last Thursday and it was awesome :). We actually surprised the kids which was great. The crowds were definitely low and we got to ride everything we wanted to, some twice! We had a character breakfast at Storytellers Cafe at 8:15 and the park didn't open until 10 so we actually used the extra time to move the car (regular lots weren't open yet at 8 but the parking at the hotel was only for 5 hours and we didn't want to have to move the car during the day). The longest wait in line was for RSR first thing in the morning - we waited about 45 minutes but DH pulled FPs while we were in line so we got to ride it again later - that was awesome because the ride was different the 2nd time! The other rides had lines that were 15 minutes or less. Boo got to ride everything he wanted to and he LOVED Soaring over Ca. I rode California Screaming with Punkin while DH took Boo on the carousel and DH took Punkin on Tower of Terror (twice) while Boo and I strolled around and had a snack. We took our time and really enjoyed the day. We skipped Midway Mania because we've never been on it but my kids don't like 3D movies (and we all HATED Tough to be A bug when we saw it before) so we weren't sure if it was worth chancing it being like that. We also all REALLY liked Animation Academy - we drew Olaf from Frozen. We didn't get a great spot for WOC and it started raining a bit during the show so we left about 3/4 into it. We were exhausted after being there since before park opening!

For those that said it wasn't more than a few hours to do the park, I disagree. We got lucky on having low crowds and short lines and enjoyed time to eat, have a beer, see the parade, visit characters, etc but we easily filled the whole day.

lalasmama
02-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Woo hoo! Glad you had a great time!

I'm on my way home from our trip (on the airplane at the moment)... :(

Only 6 months until my next trip.

BayGirl2
02-06-2014, 09:33 AM
So glad you had fun! We finished our 2nd full day at DCA yesterday and had so much fun. We drew Olaf too! That was my first time doing Animation Academy and we liked it. Too bad you didn't do a Toy Story, it's really not movie like, more of an interactive series of carnival games now you have a reason to come back.