PDA

View Full Version : yet another post about diaper rash

lmh2402
01-16-2014, 10:20 PM
DD has been battling a rash for so long that i honestly don't even remember when it started

it has improved at times, but never been 100% gone and in the last few weeks it's been bad again

on Monday, I finally decided to go back to the pedi. she had prescribed mupiricin (sp?...antibiotic ointment) previously. we'd been using that and then laying thick layers of calmoseptine and it just wasn't helping

they told me they were going to swab her for strep and it was positive. not what i expected, but ok. doc told me she thought the rash was related to the strep. i wasn't sure i agreed with this b/c the rash has been there for SO LONG. and she hasn't had strep this whole time. I know this for sure b/c she was swabbed three times in the days leading up to her pneumonia diagnosis in late Dec.

Anyway, she's now been on abx since Monday. Doc also prescribed a burn cream (silver something or other)

I was hoping that between the abx (assuming the strep was contributing to the rash) and the burn cream, that things would be improved by now

But they're not. not at all.

it's still so, so red. it looks awful. poor baby walks around grabbing her crotch and or her bottom and saying, "ooowww." she sits down and cries owww.

i've been doing diaper free time. her bath is with baking soda every night.

i'm truly at a loss. today the doctor said, "i don't know what to tell you."

not exactly helpful

hoping someone here has a brilliant idea. she takes daily probiotic. we have totally removed all berries and obvious citrus from her diet, much to her chagrin.

help me, please. i feel so badly for her.

thx

ETA: doc said it doesn't look like yeast to her. she did do a swab of the general area, but i'm not sure what she's testing for.

JBaxter
01-16-2014, 10:25 PM
Have you tried Chlorine free diapers? I had to go to cloth with Nathan.

lmh2402
01-16-2014, 10:29 PM
we had been using pampers and then switched awhile ago to huggies free & pure

maybe I should switch again

i'm going to admit this. i haven't done cloth b/c i don't understand how to do it. i realize that makes me sound like a complete idiot, but it's the truth and i'm desperate enough to admit that right now. cloth diapers totally intimidate me.

mikala
01-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Are you using wipes? There was another recent thread about a wipe ingredient causing sensitivity in some kiddos. It was at least in one of the Huggies types, possibly others. If you haven't already I'd at least switch to cloth and water for a little while. Poor kid, hope it resolves soon! That sounds so miserable.

I'd also consider chlorine free diapers as PP suggested. Has she been rash free on this probiotic? Maybe try a different brand of probiotic and see if it helps at all with stool consistency?

JBaxter
01-16-2014, 10:36 PM
I'd do 7th generation or one of the other chlorine free ones first. Dont use commercial wipes either. I used viva brand paper towels cut the roll in half take the cardboard out of the center put in a rubbermade container add about 2 cups of water w/ a squirt of her baby wash ( which ever brand you use) Diaper free as much as you can.

mikala
01-16-2014, 10:38 PM

i'm going to admit this. i haven't done cloth b/c i don't understand how to do it. i realize that makes me sound like a complete idiot, but it's the truth and i'm desperate enough to admit that right now. cloth diapers totally intimidate me.

It's fine, cloth diapers are intimidating to a lot of people. I cloth diapered DS1 and then DS2 for awhile and while I really liked doing it there was definitely a learning curve. And quite frankly I'm not sure if cloth diapers are the answer for you. They'd definitely have less chemicals, for sure, but it can also be tricky to get them really clean and disinfected when you're using lots of ointments. The ointments can get into the fabric of synthetic fibers and reduce absorbancy and you have to get a wash routine that really works for you to prevent rashes and stinkies.

I'd do cloth wipes for now because they're a lot more accessible and essentially like washing towels.

ETA: has she always had the rash with the Huggies? If so, I'd definitely at least try something else like Seventh Gen or Nature Babycare just to see if that helps, can't imagine it would hurt.

lmh2402
01-16-2014, 10:39 PM
we use wipes b/c i have a gazillion of them in the basement. but they we soak them in water for quite a while and then rinse, rinse, rinse so that they are just wet rather than with solution on them.

i just ordered a different probiotic - currently using culturelle. she didn't have a rash when we first started using it, but it hasn't helped get rid of it at all.

i will get some 7th gen diapers tomorrow

BunnyBee
01-16-2014, 10:40 PM
We use Bum Genius. You just throw them in the washer. I don't even unstuff. If the baby poops, you dump that in the toilet. It takes a long wash with at least an extra rinse IME, but I set a custom setting on the washer and do it overnight. (If you have a washer with a delay feature--do that so they're ready to go in the dryer when you wake up instead of sitting wet in the washer, especially in the summer.)

Anyway, taking on cloth may be too much right now. Switch to something like 7th Generation just to see. I prefer WF's 365 diapers to the current 7th Gen, and someone in a thread in Butts really likes Target's Babyganics. I was going to get those for a trip and haven't tried them yet.

It's possible there's yeast underneath the strep. I had a nasty external yeast infection after surgery that took forever to clear up. Probiotics did not cut it. Oral meds finally kicked it, and Calmoseptine ointment felt great. My kids' ped actually was the one to diagnose me after the OB was clueless (and had said it didn't look like yeast and referred me to wound care)! Love my ped. She recommended the Calmoseptine and suggested a diluted Betadine wash with as much air time as possible. Dry the skin with a hair dryer on cool. Calmoseptine does not have any anti-fungals in it, so you may want to use something like Lotrimin or Triple Paste (or homemade version) to see if the rash responds to a yeast med.

lmh2402
01-16-2014, 10:41 PM
ETA: has she always had the rash with the Huggies? If so, I'd definitely at least try something else like Seventh Gen or Nature Babycare just to see if that helps, can't imagine it would hurt.

we switched to the huggies because of the rash - thought it might have been the pampers

but honestly, i've not seen much improvement. that switch was at least a month ago, if not more. probably closer to two months.

BunnyBee
01-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Also--check out this thread on a chemical in diaper wipes: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?472228-Baby-wipes-in-the-news&p=3937400

What wipes are you using? Switch to a nice, soft paper towel (Viva is soft) with plain water if you don't have any cloth wipes.

Can you avoid getting baby wash in the diaper area?

mikala
01-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Here's the wipes chemical thread: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?472228-Baby-wipes-in-the-news&highlight=rash

Re: PP mention of BumGenius, they are fabulous but it's one of the types where you have to be really careful about creams and ointments so I wouldn't go there right now.

BunnyBee
01-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Here's the wipes chemical thread: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?472228-Baby-wipes-in-the-news&highlight=rash

Re: PP mention of BumGenius, they are fabulous but it's one of the types where you have to be really careful about creams and ointments so I wouldn't go there right now.

Definitely not! I wouldn't use an "expensive" cloth diaper with yeast or some other potential infection either. It can be hard to get that out of fabric. I was darn near ready to burn my unders and find disposables for myself.

lmh2402
01-16-2014, 10:45 PM
you think the wipes are problem even if they're rinsed? i'm certainly willing to switch to paper towels, but those just seems so much harsher than the wipes...the wipes are so soft. and even with the wipes, she whimpers and says ow, ow, ow when i'm cleaning her up

i don't wash her with soap down there, but she's sitting in a tub that has some soap in the water from washing the rest of her and her hair. i don't want to make her sit in an empty tub b/c i think she'd get cold

mikala
01-16-2014, 10:54 PM
you think the wipes are problem even if they're rinsed? i'm certainly willing to switch to paper towels, but those just seems so much harsher than the wipes...the wipes are so soft.

I doubt they are but it seems like you're getting into that sliver of time when anything is worth trying. We know wipes have lots of chemicals, seems unlikely that rinsed ones would be really harmful but with skin that broken I wouldn't go beyond water because you know water won't hurt her.

Aishe
01-16-2014, 11:01 PM
My dd had a persistent diaper rash that only cleared up when we got rid of the wipes. We used Puffs Plus tissues dipped in a thermos of warm water. The Puffs Plus are super soft, but they don't fall apart when they're wet. Another option is Viva paper towels, which are also very soft. I think all other brands of paper towels would be too rough. If getting rid of wipes doesn't help then I would give cloth diapers a shot. Just do something simple like a pocket diaper and I swear it won't be that daunting. There's a little learning curve, but it's very short lived. I loved using cloth. And it might sound crazy, but there are lots of babies (not so much in the US, but in other parts of the world) who potty train around 18 months. If you're feeling really desperate it's something to consider.

speo
01-16-2014, 11:07 PM
you think the wipes are problem even if they're rinsed? i'm certainly willing to switch to paper towels, but those just seems so much harsher than the wipes...the wipes are so soft. and even with the wipes, she whimpers and says ow, ow, ow when i'm cleaning her up

i don't wash her with soap down there, but she's sitting in a tub that has some soap in the water from washing the rest of her and her hair. i don't want to make her sit in an empty tub b/c i think she'd get cold

This is just my experience, but I would consider skipping the paper towels also. It took us awhile to figure it out, but DS1 got a rash on his face from wiping his mouth with wet Viva paper towels. I would suggest buying several packs of baby washcloths and using those for wipes. That is a much easier place to start than cloth diapers. We switched to these washcloths for messy mouth cleanups. http://www.target.com/p/circo-infant-girls-6-pack-washcloth-set-purple/-/A-14563119#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=baby+washcloths

Also what about an allergy to dairy or something else. Has she been tested for allergies? I hope you figure it out.

KpbS
01-16-2014, 11:20 PM
Have you tried applying regular petroleum jelly to her bottom rash? It helps the broken skin heal faster and is a physical barrier to the moisture (if only for a bit). When my kiddos are terribly rashy like you describe, I do an extra change at night and try to change them quickly during the day so they have as little time in a wet diaper as possible. Can you sneak into her room tonight and put some petroleum jelly on her and a new dry diaper?

Hope she's better soon! :hug:

lmh2402
01-16-2014, 11:24 PM
her skin doesn't appear broken. it looks very burned. which is why she prescribed the burn cream. ugh.

UGH!!

mikala
01-16-2014, 11:33 PM
her skin doesn't appear broken. it looks very burned. which is why she prescribed the burn cream. ugh.

UGH!!

Hmm. Burned immediately makes me think of chemical burn. I'd be really suspicious of the diapers/wipes, wondering maybe if all of the antibiotic diarrhea combined with them is causing her sore bottom.

OKKiddo
01-17-2014, 12:15 AM
Definitely not! I wouldn't use an "expensive" cloth diaper with yeast or some other potential infection either. It can be hard to get that out of fabric. I was darn near ready to burn my unders and find disposables for myself.

This exactly, as well as Bum Genius uses a suede cloth inner that some babies react to. I would highly recommend some diaper service quality prefolds or flats (or until those ship to you and you prep them you can use old t-shirts) folded into a cover. Prefolds and flats are very forgiving. You can bleach them, use creams with them, and if you don't mind staining or want to hang them in the sun they're really easy. If you want a stay dry material between the prefold/flat/tshirt and your baby you can buy some blizzard fleece and cut into rectangles. There are several benefits to this besides the stay dry component like, poop falls off easily, ointments don't reach the diaper and therefore don't stain and don't have to be painstakingly scrubbed out. Oh, and this entire system of diapering is CHEAP. For covers you can use one that's made out of PUL, or you can use wool soakers/longies (which are adorable), or you can use fleece pants or fleece soakers longies (which are equally adorable).

I also wanted to chime in that our favorite diaper ointment now is Resinol. Great stuff, immediately soothes the bum, coats well and gets rid of rashes quickly.

OKKiddo
01-17-2014, 12:19 AM
Hmm. Burned immediately makes me think of chemical burn. I'd be really suspicious of the diapers/wipes, wondering maybe if all of the antibiotic diarrhea combined with them is causing her sore bottom.

This is what happened to my younger son with Pampers and Dry Max. We only used the Pampers at night (cloth during the day) because he'd hit a super soaker period and I thought disposables would be easier at night instead of all the extra stuffing. Immediate rash, and each time I stupidly tried them again his rash would increase in intensity and duration. It took a FULL MONTH to finally rid his body of that reaction and I had to commit to using only cloth (the prefolds and fleece liners with a cover that I mentioned above). He fought us for every diaper change that whole month. It was almost impossible to change him on my own because of how afraid and hurt he was. I'm so sorry your baby is going through a tough time, just typing this out made the memory come back fresh as ever and I don't wish that on anyone!

crl
01-17-2014, 12:47 AM
I might ask for a referral to a dermatologist at this point. Sorry no personal experience so I can't offer any better advice. Hope you get it sorted out soon! :hug:

Catherine

JBaxter
01-17-2014, 05:17 AM
Not ANY paper towels Viva brand specifically they are the softest and have you treated her for yeast? Good old monistat cream?

amom526
01-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Some things that come to mind:

I would treat for yeast for a few days just to rule it out. Our ped recommends lotrimin, and you can get it over the counter. If it is yeast you should notice an improvement soon.

With a rash that has gone on that long, I would definitely be pondering a complete elimination diet.

I would stop the wipes and find the most natural bean of disposable diapers you can find.

Stinks to be dealing with a never ending rash.

LBW
01-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Have you tried hydrocortisone? That might help with the soreness/irritation while you are figuring out how to cure the rash.

Tea4two
01-17-2014, 10:09 AM
My DD had a horrible diaper rash for the first two months of her life, from constant pooping. We stopped using wipes and used Medline disposible washcloths. I would cut them in fours, then get them wet. Bought them off Amazon, on my phone now so can't link, sorry. We also used Sensi care cream, again on Amazon. It helped almost immediately. So sorry you are dealing with this. Diaper rashes are the worst.

lmh2402
01-17-2014, 10:20 AM
I've tried cortizone cream - helps a bit. sometimes. it's REALLY bad this morning. really, really bad

I picked up WF diapers. used wash cloth in places of wipes this morning.

i'm truly beside myself

The only meal she consistently eats is breakfast when she eats an egg with cheese and greek yogurt. if i cut that out, i'm honestly not sure what she'll eat.

i HATE this

NJ_Mom2011
01-17-2014, 10:43 AM
I've tried cortizone cream - helps a bit. sometimes. it's REALLY bad this morning. really, really bad

I picked up WF diapers. used wash cloth in places of wipes this morning.

i'm truly beside myself

The only meal she consistently eats is breakfast when she eats an egg with cheese and greek yogurt. if i cut that out, i'm honestly not sure what she'll eat.

i HATE this

My husband and I used to take our daughter to the bath after a dirty diaper. We tried to get the water to wash her behind as much as possible. We also use our hand to help her wash off. (TMI here, I know)

I would stop using wipes altogether, and use a wash closh as some have suggested. Is there a way to have your daughter have no diaper at night? We used to have our daughter sleep without a diaper on a large beach towel, and when she was younger, in her pack n play.

lmh2402
01-17-2014, 10:45 AM
strangely, the first change of the morning is when her skin looks the best?! it goes way down hill after that :6:

georgiegirl
01-17-2014, 11:01 AM
I'd guess its the wipes then. My Son had rash issues until the other day when I got rid of those Huggins wipes.

AnnieW625
01-17-2014, 12:20 PM

I would try chlorine free diapers as well. The rash sounds like the one that DD1 had when she used Pampers Cruisers in 2007 and was walking; it was the dry weave (they didn't have DryMax in them then) that was causing her the irritation. We ended up switching to 7th Generation and she used those or Natural Babycare (with a short stint in Earth's Best, but DH hated those) until about 2/1/2 and then we did do Costco or Huggies Supreme (now Little Movers) as well without any issues. It really is a lot if trial and error though. Also washing her with Cetaphil cleanser worked quite well too.

DD2 had sensitive skin as well and when we did disposable diapers we used Seventh Generation, Costco, and Huggies Little Movers when she was a toddler. At a year though we started cloth again (we had diaper service when she was a newborn) and the easiest and what I would have done had she not been in daycare full time was Flip covers (http://www.flipdiapers.com/), Flip brand prefolds (http://www.flipdiapers.com/flip3orgins.php) or Imagine organic prefolds from Nicky's Diapers (although I am not sure they sell them anymore as I couldn't find them listed) because that is the easiest wash and you can bleach them and not worry about specific detergent, but if you already use an all natural detergent like Charlie's Soap (and soft water is a huge bonus too) washing all in one diapers like Bum Genius, FuzziBunz, or any other brand of all in one or pocket diaper (https://www.nickisdiapers.com/mobile/home.asp?cat=2304#homeSubCat_373_1) is easier, but still I think if you can manage washing a couple extra loads of wash a week cloth prefolds are as easy as it gets. The all in one or stuffable pocket diapers (I had Bum Genius 4.0) take a long time to dry, but they are great especially if you want simplicity because they work exactly like a disposable diaper.

eta: Butt Paste is awesome if you haven't tried it. I would also try some Lotrimin along with the hydrocortisone cream and muprocin.

Wipes wise Costco, Pampers Sensitive, and Target/Babies R Us unscented wipes worked for us as well.

RedSuedeShoes
01-17-2014, 02:56 PM
My kids & I all have very sensitive skin. & they were all prone to diaper rash (though never as bad as what you're describing). We used Kirkland brand diapers & wipes, which worked well for them. Seventh Generation brand was also good for them. Anytime we tried something else (even the "naturals" or "sensitive" stuff) we had trouble.

Also for my 3rd child, I started making this stuff we sprayed on his bottom before wiping. It really seemed to help with cleaning but also soothe his skin. It had aloe & calendula oil in it. I can look up the recipe if you're interested. (Side note: I also made this same stuff for my neighbors uncle who used it to clean skin on various parts of his body affected by surgeries/treatments - he & his wife loved it!)

For cream, we used Triple Paste for our first 2 babies, and Weleda Calendula Diaper Care for the 3rd.

lizzywednesday
01-17-2014, 04:30 PM
I battled crazy rashes with DD for nearly forever.

We switched from Pampers (hospital-issue) to Huggies Pure & Natural which helped, but she got a nasty case of yeast that didn't look like yeast to most docs when she was 9 months old.

Anyway, after the yeast, we switched to cloth prefolds with liners for overnights. When DH was laid off, we went to all-in-ones. It helped and she didn't get rashes again until we had to take up overnight Pull-Ups. We also stopped using wipes for anything but poop; we used "butt spray" for pee changes, including at daycare. I rotated between Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion Potion Spray and Homestead Baby Wipe Companion Spray, both of which are available online.

If it doesn't clear after switching to chlorine-free disposables, go cloth. In your case, OP, I'd do pockets or all-in-ones with fleece doublers and "flushable" liners.

mikala
01-24-2014, 12:11 AM
OP, how is your daughter? Hope the rash is improving!!

u2ecila
01-28-2014, 01:40 AM
We were given several boxes of pampers and huggies with dry max, and they gave my lo a rash too. Now we use pampers sensitive diapers and wipes, which work great.

If it is yeast, you could try rubbing organic coconut oil on her bum. That stuff is highly effective and since it doesn't have any side effects, you might just want to try it.

Good luck!