PDA

View Full Version : overland donner bag or something else

cchavez
01-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Hi! I have an REI bag similar that has similar features to the overland donner but it is looking a bit worn after 8 years of use. I have store credit to bags and was considering the overland donner? I like the organization and that fact that is can hold a water bottle. My REI bag has good organization and it can hold a small water bottle. I am just worried the donner might be too big. I am petite plus my kids are older so I don't need a huge bag just a functional/rugged bag for trips to the zoo, vacation, hikes, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks

candaceb
01-21-2014, 05:51 PM
I ruined my Overland Donner in the fall and have been looking for a replacement. I just ordered a Sherpani - it hasn't arrived yet. I got this one, but there are lots of other models and I know REI carries them. I think they're a little less "rugged" looking than the Donner.

http://sherpani.com/sherpani-millile.aspx

egoldber
01-21-2014, 05:52 PM
The Donner Overlander is not a large bag.

For reference, it would easily hold an iPad mini, but not a regular iPad. Well, maybe you could squeeze it in there, but it would take a little doing....

cchavez
01-21-2014, 05:59 PM
LOVE that! I think ebags carries sherpani but I really want something w/ a water bottle holder.

Green_Tea
01-21-2014, 06:03 PM
I have this bag from EMS: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11338048&lmdn=Brand&cp=3677352.11373430.3696605
It's very roomy and has a water bottle pouch on the side. I can slide my iPad right into the back. I have it in black, which it looks like they no longer make. I really wanted to love the Donner, but don't care for the leather "overland equipment" patch on the front.

I also ordered the same Sherpani bag a PP linked to above after I saw it at REI. It's super cute, but won't accommodate a full size iPad (at least I don't think it will).

JElaineB
01-21-2014, 06:06 PM
I personally think the Overland Donner is large, but I tend to like smaller bags. I prefer the Overland Ellis myself.

Philly Mom
01-21-2014, 06:07 PM
I love my donner. It is not that big really. I use it for a purse/diaper bag when just with one kid. I think the iPad mini description by pp is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mytwosons
01-21-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm very petite and love my donner. My coach purse is much larger.

acmom
01-21-2014, 09:21 PM
I bought the REi tranquility bag for Disney last year and still use it for activities with kids like the ones you mentioned. It has 2 water bottle pockets, a slip pocket w/ a little cushioning for an iPad or tablet, and an easy access front pocket with a couple of card slots, key clip, phone pocket, etc. Big enough for my essentials as well as what I carry for my 2 kids (3 and 5), but it is lighter and smaller than my favorite coach purse.

http://www.rei.com/product/827995/rei-tranquility-shoulder-bag-womens

ETA: I looked at both the overland Donner and a sherpani bag, but went with this one bc it could hold 2 water bottles and my iPad which was important to me for our trip to Disney.

ang79
01-21-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm petite and have a donner. I like to use it for park trips and took it on vacation to the zoo and smithsonians last summer. I fit a fun trainer in each side pocket and a water bottle for myself in the main compartment, along w/ my wallet, small first aide kit and other random things. It doesn't fell big to me at all.

mikala
01-22-2014, 12:26 AM
I'm petite and have a donner. I like to use it for park trips and took it on vacation to the zoo and smithsonians last summer. I fit a fun trainer in each side pocket and a water bottle for myself in the main compartment, along w/ my wallet, small first aide kit and other random things. It doesn't fell big to me at all.

Yeah that. I carry similar things in mine and use it for the zoo, museums and other outings where I want a casual cross body purse and need to carry water for the kids.

I also have the rei tranquility bag mentioned by a pp and like it too. If you have an rei store nearby I'd definitely try both on for size.

larig
01-22-2014, 01:46 AM
I bought the REi tranquility bag for Disney last year and still use it for activities with kids like the ones you mentioned. It has 2 water bottle pockets, a slip pocket w/ a little cushioning for an iPad or tablet, and an easy access front pocket with a couple of card slots, key clip, phone pocket, etc. Big enough for my essentials as well as what I carry for my 2 kids (3 and 5), but it is lighter and smaller than my favorite coach purse.

http://www.rei.com/product/827995/rei-tranquility-shoulder-bag-womens

ETA: I looked at both the overland Donner and a sherpani bag, but went with this one bc it could hold 2 water bottles and my iPad which was important to me for our trip to Disney.

FWIW: The donner holds 2 water bottles too. I used to carry the original iPad in mine--it fits, but it's heavy.