PDA

View Full Version : Baby food prep machines

TwoBees
01-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Any recs for baby food steamers and blenders? Are they even worth it, or is it easier to steam foods on a stove and use a regular blender or mini food processor. (I'm thinking way ahead here, obviously.)

Momit
01-22-2014, 12:23 AM
I made all of DS's baby food - I did not get a special steamer but I did get the KidCo baby food mill because I only had a full size Cuisinart and wanted something small. I was very happy with it.

essnce629
01-22-2014, 12:39 AM
I never had a special baby gadget and made all of DS1's food (DS2 refused purees).

I either steamed the food in the microwave or on the stove and then pureed it in a mini food processor (the 4 cup Cuisinart one).

lizzywednesday
01-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Honestly? I say they're one-trick ponies and not worth the clutter in your kitchen!

Get a steamer basket that fits inside a regular pot ... or explore the world of baby-led weaning.

I was too lazy to deal with purees and spoon-feeding an uncooperative baby, so baby-led weaning actually was a lifesaver for me.

Also, DD (1) hadn't lost her tongue-thrust reflex until after 4mos and (2) wasn't sitting up very well until almost 7mos so it actually dovetailed quite nicely with the timetable for BLW - baby should be able to sit unassisted and able to grasp chunks & sticks (think French fry shapes) of food on his/her own for BLW to be a feasible option for a family.

maybeebaby08
01-22-2014, 09:59 AM
We did BLW too, but I still use purées for smoothies and other things. I just use my Vitamix, but the Beaba storage trays are great!

TwinFoxes
01-22-2014, 10:16 AM
I just steamed things so they were super soft, and either gave it to DDs whole, or mushed it with a fork. The only special equipment I had were little food containers for refrigerator storage. DDs never had jarred baby food. Beabas were just coming onto the market when DDs were infants, and they seemed cool, but just not worth the cost, counter space, or effort.

crl
01-22-2014, 05:14 PM
We did baby led weaning too. So easy! Dd wanted nothing to do with me feeding her so that solidified my decision to go with BLW. (Pun intended ;) )

Catherine

specialp
01-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Made all the food using a steamer and food processor.

trcy
01-24-2014, 08:01 AM
I got the beaba babycook as a gift. It worked fine, but I preferred to cook the food and just use a stick blender. There is no way I would have spent the money on the babycook and you could only make a small amount at a time. If we have a second DC, I think I will try the BLW instead of baby food.

ETA: the beaba storage trays are a good thing to have IMO.

Ms B
02-09-2014, 09:47 AM
DH got a Bamix stick blender to make the purees. We steamed or cooked veg and then drained and pureed in the pot with a little fresh water and lemon juice (to prevent browning). Sometimes we added spice (e.g. thyme, dill, cinnamon, etc.) that worked with the particular veg or fruit. Once we moved beyond the basic purees, we used the Bamix to blend curries, veggie tomato sauce and soups.

We did use some purpose made "baby food" storage containers to freeze portions, bit I hated them because they did not close well. We were a lot happier using freezer jars (sold in the preserving area), which were sturdier and screwed shut. The other storage method that worked was freezing the purees into lidded ice cube trays (from Target) and they popping the cubes into labelled Ziplocs. We found it took about a minute to thaw 1 to 2 cubes in a microwave safe bowl.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

larig
02-09-2014, 01:21 PM
I made all DS's food with a steamer insert and stick blender.

TxCat
02-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Like a PP, I received the Beaba Babycook as a gift, and honestly I really liked it. Very simple to use, just one piece to clean, and it was the perfect size. I read the French Kids Eat Everything book earlier this year and the author references using the Babycook regularly even out of the baby stage. Yes, you can accomplish the exact same thing with a steamer basket and good stick blender, but I liked the ease of use and simplicity of the Babycook, especially since I'm usually making purées the same time as I'm cooking other items, and it's one less thing to worry about.