PDA

View Full Version : when my mom is mad I'm skaird

bisous
01-22-2014, 08:07 PM
That's DS2's spelling sentence for "when" today. He's upset because I just sent him to sit on his bed. How "scary"! lol. Sort of. His teacher is about 23 and I'm not kidding, I can totally see her thinking I'm a scary monster of a parent. I promise I don't get angry often and even then, I'm rather shocked to find out that it causes my kids to be "skaird". But it just fits with the amount of fun parenting has been for the past few weeks or so...

georgiegirl
01-22-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm sure the teacher just thought it was funny

123LuckyMom
01-22-2014, 10:07 PM
I think so, too. I don't spank my kids, but somehow DS heard about spanking. I still don't know where, and for about two years (!!!) every time my son would see that I was getting irritated, he'd run around shouting, "Mom is going to spank me!" Seriously! In public! I actually told his teachers about it, and they said that's not that unusual. It's kind of like when the potty talk starts and they say they're going to poop on your head. It's just silliness. The kids who really get spanked don't "joke" about it, because it's serious business. Teachers know this stuff. I wouldn't worry.

WatchingThemGrow
01-22-2014, 10:15 PM
It's great your kid is writing and expressing his thoughts! Teachers hear it all, so don't worry.

My kid told me last week he's writing a book entitled "my mom's had it with me." I felt pretty cool for yelling that at him a few times recently. :(

ShanaMama
01-22-2014, 10:32 PM
It's great your kid is writing and expressing his thoughts! Teachers hear it all, so don't worry.

My kid told me last week he's writing a book entitled "my mom's had it with me." I felt pretty cool for yelling that at him a few times recently. :(
Sorry but this made me laugh.
OP, I'd feel bad too but more embarrassed than worried. I'm sure the teacher's seen worse even if she's only been teaching for a year or two.

DD2 told me tonight that I'm a mean Mommy because I finally snapped at her after a really trying snow day & asking her about 15 times to get in the bath. I told her there are actually mean Mommies & hers is nothing like them. Sorry Charlie. I think she was actually surprised I didn't take the bait.

StantonHyde
01-22-2014, 11:52 PM
oh I think a little bit of fear is an ok thing......

JustMe
01-23-2014, 12:27 AM
I can relate to how you're feeling because both of my kids have done similar things.

When dd was in 1st grade, she wrote something similar and actually drew a picture of me with very big teeth.

Not exactly the same, but equally mortifying, when ds was in preschool he was asked to dictate about something that made him mad. He basically wrote that whenever he wanted food, his mom (that would be me), said "no, no, no" and he went sadly and quietly to his room. All this because I did not let him have "just one more" cookie...and I have no idea what the going to his room was about--certainly no idea what the quiet part was about!

lalasmama
01-23-2014, 03:25 AM
DD did a similar sentence when she was in 2nd grade, I think. It was an "all about me" poem, and one line was "I cry when..."

...."my mommy yells and spanks me."

We don't spank. Sure, I raise my voice on occasion (I'm working on it!), but we'd been through like 3-5 awesome months--she hadn't been in trouble or grounded for ages, we were doing all kinds of fun things, we'd recently gotten back from a trip to Disneyland, etc., and she goes and writes THAT?!? And, she cries over little things (pink pajamas not clean, purple lollypops all gone), not over things like discipline. With discipline, she laughs. I assume she just copied what friends wrote with the spanking.

DH said not to mention it to the teacher, because she knows DD is a happy, well-loved, well-adjusted kid, and it's likely she didn't even read each line of every kid's poem. But I have to say, I was a bit sheepish after DD wrote that, true or not!

TwinFoxes
01-23-2014, 09:12 AM

I am sorry, but I laughed too.

Here, I get to hear one DD disciplining the other with words and a voice that sounds scarily familiar. :bag

MamaMolly
01-23-2014, 11:23 AM

I can totally see one of mine doing this, and personally I'd get a kick out of it.

oneplustwo
01-23-2014, 12:19 PM
It's great your kid is writing and expressing his thoughts! Teachers hear it all, so don't worry. My kid told me last week he's writing a book entitled "my mom's had it with me." I felt pretty cool for yelling that at him a few times recently. :( Bwahahaha . . . my kids would write a book entitled "my mom's had it with me and just wait till I have my own kids."

elephantmeg
01-23-2014, 03:09 PM
DS had to write a sentence about me at one point in 1st grade. He wrote, my mom is upset at me when I am inappropriate (but in 1st grade spelling). Oops! We had been talking a lot about inappropriate behavior (we're in the process of getting him tested but there is some concern he has mild ASD) and generally had does act... inappropriately. But ohy!!!!

hellokitty
01-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Don't worry, the teachers are well aware of the way kids are at this age. I'm sure that they are just as scared that your kid will go home and tell them some over-exaggeration or whopper about them (the teacher), lol. My oldest one's kindy class does a recipe book as part of their mother's day gift. That yr, my son, had the funniest, and most embarrassing recipe. It involved tape-worms. Luckily, his teacher thought it was hilarious, and so did the other parents, but I'm sure that some ppl w/o a sense of humor would be like, "whaaa?"

zukeypur
01-23-2014, 03:38 PM
My kids are always talking about hiney and bodily functions. I have told them repeatedly not to talk about it for just this reason. Lately when I've been saying "did you wipe your hiney?" DD has been telling me "mommy, we don't talk about hiney." At least something is sinking in.

PZMommy
01-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Cute!

As a kinder / first grade teacher I've heard and read all sorts of crazy things! There is a huge difference in the kids that tell us made up stories like this and ones that are truly abused. I'm sure my students have gone home and told their parents crazy and made up things about myself too, so it goes both ways!

Ceepa
01-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Did you ever see the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond when one of the young twin boys reads his story in front of all the students and parents? It was titled The Angry Family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qamxu3pdJf8

123LuckyMom
01-24-2014, 10:20 AM
So funny!!!

And thank you, lalasmama, for letting me know I'm not the only parent falsely accused of spanking! Where do they get this stuff?

ShanaMama
01-25-2014, 08:08 PM
Don't worry, the teachers are well aware of the way kids are at this age. I'm sure that they are just as scared that your kid will go home and tell them some over-exaggeration or whopper about them (the teacher), lol. My oldest one's kindy class does a recipe book as part of their mother's day gift. That yr, my son, had the funniest, and most embarrassing recipe. It involved tape-worms. Luckily, his teacher thought it was hilarious, and so did the other parents, but I'm sure that some ppl w/o a sense of humor would be like, "whaaa?"
I remember that thread! Something to do with a peanut butter sandwich? Funniest recipe ever!