PDA

View Full Version : Would you choose to be induced?

petesgirl
01-23-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm pretty sure I know what the 'right' answer is here, but the other option is looking really appealing :)

I was induced with DS due to medical concerns, the same ones are showing up again in this pregnancy but since DS was healthy the Dr is willing to wait it out as long as I come in for weekly non-stress tests and monitor the baby's movements closely. He did mention however that some women want to be induced and he would be willing to do that anytime in the 7 days leading up to my due date if I want. Now, I wasn't overly excited about being induced the first time because I do believe babies come when they are ready and wanted things to be as natural as possible but logistically speaking being induced this time would be so much more convenient!

*We haven't been able to find anyone (family, friends, or neighbors) or will commit to watching DS when I go into labor. At this point, DH would probably drive us all to the hospital and then come back home with DS and most likely miss the birth...not what we want. If I were induced the weekend before my due date my mom could get work off and come spend 4 days up here, to watch DS.

*If I am induced that weekend, DH will be able to take 3 weeks off work to be home with us. If we wait until the beginning of the next week, he will only get one week off.

I guess that's all... and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for by writing this post either, just getting my thoughts out I guess :)

JenChem
01-23-2014, 12:23 PM
I think if I were given your circumstances I would schedule the induction. I think as moms we're bombarded with all these right-or-wrong decisions when truly each mom should be free to make the decision that's right for her. For example, my SIL scheduled her CSec for her second child while I had a VBAC. DH tried hard to push me for a C but it wasn't what I wanted. Neither of us did it the wrong way, we're both awesome moms who did it the way that worked best for us. Having help for 4 days would be my deciding factor, especially with an older child.

123LuckyMom
01-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Really, there is no right answer here. You have to make the decision that you believe is best for your family. Induction increases the risk that you will end up with a medicated birth and increases the likelihood of a c-section, so if you want to do everything within your power to avoid those eventualities, you may want to let nature take it's course. However, you may choose medication or need a c-section anyway, and the stress of worrying about DS and of not having DH with you may interfere with a natural birth as well. I would think about all the differing scenarios and decide which was most likely to enable me to be as relaxed and focused as possible.

pb&j
01-23-2014, 12:30 PM
The "right" answer for you might not be the "right" answer for someone else.

I had two scheduled inductions. I would suspect that had I crowdsourced the decision here I'd have gotten a lot of flak for even considering them. Ultimately, the decision that was right for me (signed off on by my OB, MFM, husband, genetic counselor, and my own conscience) isn't what others might choose, even given the same information. I stand by it, and have no regrets.

They both went smoothly, very low intervention, fast, easy labors, healthy babies at the end.

SnuggleBuggles
01-23-2014, 12:32 PM
No bc my personal desire is no interventions unless totally medically necessary. Heck, I didn't even want a hep lock. It's why ds2 was a birth center baby. Both boys were 41-42 weeks so induction came up. I'd weigh risks, benefits, options and then make a thoughtful choice. Could be a different conclusion than mine. :)

gymnbomb
01-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Normally I would say no induction without medical reasons. However, I think if I were in your situation I would seriously consider the induction. The combination of having your Mom there for 4 days to help with DS and your DH getting an extra 2 weeks off work would likely be deal changers for me!

lovin2shop
01-23-2014, 01:01 PM
I never thought I would choose to induce, but I did for DS2 and it ended up being great for everyone. My OB was out of town for first baby, and I was attended to by another Dr. that I had never met (referred by my OB). I was given the option to induce, but declined. It was a less than stellar birth experience with complications (i'll spare you the details), and a labor that was more than 24 hours. The Dr. only showed up to my room once in all that time and it was only after I started pushing!

With DS#2's due date, my OB was scheduled to be on vacation again! There was no way I was going through that experience again, and it too late to switch Dr's (two weeks prior), so I went ahead and scheduled the induction for a couple of days before my due date. I was really nervous for a long labor again, but baby came right away and I only had to push for about 10 minutes! It was so much less stressful to have family there and ready, and have DS1 in good hands.

flashy09
01-23-2014, 01:02 PM
I am generally not for elective inductions and have stressed out when faced with one each pregnancy for an over 40 weeks baby and a "big for me" one at the moment. But sometimes I think when pregnant a huge emphasis is put on the birth because it's the finish line and a huge pinnacle of the past 9/10 months. But really, it's just a means to get the baby out. If you are past 39 weeks (and sure of your dates) and getting induced means your Mom can watch your DS, your husband can be there for the birth and then have 3 weeks to help you, that is a big deal in real life and a huge help. I would let your cervix guide your decision though….if very unfavorable it might not be worth a failed induction and C section.

BabyBearsMom
01-23-2014, 01:02 PM
In your situation, I would at least seriously consider it.

lovin2shop
01-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Also, if you do decide against induction, I would definitely hire a doula!

hellokitty
01-23-2014, 01:05 PM
For someone w/o any medical history that might be an issue, I would be against inducing. However, it sounds like you have a medical history. Even if your doctor seems more laid back about it this time. I would at least not rule out induction, if I were in your shoes.

Philly Mom
01-23-2014, 01:25 PM
I would not hesitate to be induced in your circumstances and I made that choice for similar reasons. My OB thought DD2 would be very large so that was the MD's justification. Mine was predictable childcare. It made a huge difference to know that DD1 was taken care of because we could arrange for my mom to be there. That said my MD thought I had a bigger risk of a C because of the big baby than from interventions. I had a vaginal birth already and had responded well to pitocin the first time. I had no concern that I would end up with a C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinay
01-23-2014, 01:51 PM
I was induced for both DD1 and DD2 due to symptoms of pre-eclampsia, and I have no regrets. I sort of fought inducing with DD2 but ultimately other life circumstances made it the better birth option. Knowing that I would be delivering with my doctor rather than whoever was on call, having the ability to prepare ourselves and DD1 for a specific date rather than whenever DD2 decided to start all made a big difference to me. We were able to take DD1 to school, kiss her goodbye and tell her that sometime later that day she would be able to come to the hospital to meet her new little sister. We were able to arrange for MIL to pick her up from school and stay with her so we didn't have to worry about figuring out last minute care options for DD1. All of these factors helped reduce my stress level about the birth and I had a great labor and delivery (induction began around 10 AM, DD2 was born 5 1/2 hours later with only 15-20 minutes of pushing).

I think you just need to weigh your options and decide what you are most comfortable with, then go for it.

maybeebaby08
01-23-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm against early induction and medical interventions but in your situation I'd really consider being induced. Childcare plus the extra 2 weeks is a major deciding factor. For me I'd be so stressed about childcare and DH not being there for the birth that outweighs the what ifs.

MamaMolly
01-23-2014, 05:48 PM
How do they define induction? With Dolly I had a technical 'induction' although all it took to get the ball rolling was an enema and breaking my waters. 5 hours later I was holding her.

Do you know what they are going to try?

cagey
01-23-2014, 05:55 PM
In your situation, yes, I would--the multiple reasons make it an easier choice. I was induced with DC2 at 42 weeks and it was emotionally rough on me as I was intervention-free for DC1, but with the help of an awesome midwife and doula and husband, still made it special (and, minus the Pit, intervention free)

FWIW, my parents are a 5 hr drive away, and my doula said if I went into labor without someone around, she'd sit in the waiting room with DC1 until my dad or mom could come up so DH could be w/ me in the room.

Its so hard doing this with no family nearby, so huge hugs to you!!

trcy
01-23-2014, 06:37 PM
I think the "right" answer is what ever YOU think is best. DD was a cs because she was breech. If we have another, I will most likely go with a repeat cs. Not a popular decision in most circles, but that is what I would prefer. Good luck!

PZMommy
01-23-2014, 07:59 PM
I would most certainly induce under those circumstances!

My first was a scheduled c section because he was transverse. My second was also a scheduled section, so we had family lined up to fly in and help, as all of our family lives on the other side of the country, and my DH had limited time off from work. I ended up with pre-eclampsia and had to be delivered at 36 weeks. It was awful not having anyone in town that could care for DS1. My DH managed to be there for the surgery, and then was there for about a half hour each day that I was hospitalized. Five days post c section I was on my own at home with a newborn and a two year old. My mom was finally able to arrive a few days after we came home. Not having any help was very very difficult, especially where my oldest was concerned. So if being induced means you will have help, I would not think twice about it!!

DualvansMommy
01-23-2014, 08:47 PM
I would most certainly induce under those circumstances!

My first was a scheduled c section because he was transverse. My second was also a scheduled section, so we had family lined up to fly in and help, as all of our family lives on the other side of the country, and my DH had limited time off from work. I ended up with pre-eclampsia and had to be delivered at 36 weeks. It was awful not having anyone in town that could care for DS1. My DH managed to be there for the surgery, and then was there for about a half hour each day that I was hospitalized. Five days post c section I was on my own at home with a newborn and a two year old. My mom was finally able to arrive a few days after we came home. Not having any help was very very difficult, especially where my oldest was concerned. So if being induced means you will have help, I would not think twice about it!!

This! I knew I needed help, as hubby wanted to be with me for the surgery and 4 days in hospital. We needed someone home sleeping, by time we left for my c section which was EARLY in the am. That's the reason I lined up to have my mom fly in out of town to stay with us, so she could be here in the mornings and take care of DS.

petesgirl
01-23-2014, 09:35 PM
How do they define induction? With Dolly I had a technical 'induction' although all it took to get the ball rolling was an enema and breaking my waters. 5 hours later I was holding her.

Do you know what they are going to try?

With DS, I had pitocin. It wasn't horrible. I had a pretty quick labor really, in fact my Dr missed the birth because it was faster than he expected. That was at 38 weeks and I hadn't noticed any contractions but when they hooked me up to the monitor it showed that I was having mild contractions so I probably would have gone into labor soon anyway. But, I was only dilated to a 1 when I checked in to the hospital so who knows.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad I'm not the only one who would consider it. The date we are considering is only 4 days before my due date anyway so who knows if we will even make it that long. I am mostly stressed about finding care for DS. He has a hard time being away from us anyway and is kind of a difficult child so I worry about leaving him with anyone.

I don't know....I guess I will put more thought into it.

AngB
01-23-2014, 10:07 PM
FWIW, my boys were scheduled c-sections at 36 +1 wks and 37 wks exactly. (Due to my extreme first pregnancy, history, risk of rupture, etc. my doctors do not let me stay pregnant beyond 37 weeks, waiting till 37 wks with DS2 was really against my MFM's preference). Anyway, even though they were both evicted early they both did great and have been fine. In your case I would induce.