PDA

View Full Version : Is Photopass or Memory Maker worth it?

KrisM
01-23-2014, 02:32 PM
It's our first and only trip. I plan to bring a camera, but don't want to live my vacation by taking pictures. I think we are planning on buying Memory Maker (used to be Photopass+) for $149 and that gets us all the pictures in the parks, restaurants and rides. And as far as I can find, Photopass is $169 with no pre-purchase discounts and doesn't cover the rides or restaurant photos.

Do you find either of these worth it?

maybeebaby08
01-23-2014, 03:00 PM
We did Photopass+ and I thought it was worth it. I took my camera too, but we liked getting the ride photos for free, we did a mini photo shoot at the Downtown Disney Studio. Plus the Magic shots they add extras to, and you can add borders and edits with the Disney logo.

BayGirl2
01-23-2014, 11:26 PM
I've done Photopass + at DL and WDW and just bought it again for our next DL trip. Did they change the WDW plan to MemoryMaker? Its still PP+ at DL.

Its worth it for us. PP+ includes all the PP pictures from anywhere, ride pictures, photo prints from the character breakfast. I thought it was cheaper when we did it at WDW last May. We usually end up with a couple hundred pictures, most of them the four of us together. I think its way better than trying to take pictures myself, and photography is my hobby. I took some pictures on my phone and didn't carry a camera at all on our last WDW trip.

KrisM
01-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Yes, PP+ is now Memory Maker. Same price, fewer options. If you want a CD, it's $30 more.

Good to know it's worth it. It seemed to me, but some friends are saying just bring a nice camera, etc. I want to bring a camera of course, but want to be in the pictures, too!

BayGirl2
01-24-2014, 12:05 AM
Yes, PP+ is now Memory Maker. Same price, fewer options. If you want a CD, it's $30 more.

Good to know it's worth it. It seemed to me, but some friends are saying just bring a nice camera, etc. I want to bring a camera of course, but want to be in the pictures, too!

That's too bad they increased the CD cost! I got the CD just to have a backup copy of the pics and I think I paid $5 shipping. Wonder why they only changed it for WDW. I just bought a DL one last week and it was all the same, and only $69.

jgenie
01-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Check the website. When we went last year there was a significant discount if you bought it before you left. You need two weeks before your trip to qualify. I'll look for my old thread and post it here. Our best pictures were the pictures they took because we were all in them.

ETA: looks like they're not running a discount right now but I found this (https://mydisneyphotopass.disney.go.com/special-offers/).

missym
01-24-2014, 07:41 AM
One thing we discovered is that you have to actively seek out the PP photographers to get the most out of it. We thought they would be at all the major attractions, but part of it is timing... We learned to check back if we didn't see someone right away. There are listings online of the locations - we used that starting the 2nd day and it helped.

Be sure to ask the photogs for pose ideas and magic shots. Most of them seemed to just do their standard thing, but once asked they got more creative and enthusiastic.

klwa
01-24-2014, 07:42 AM
We got regular photopass (before PP+ came out) our last two trips & I plan to get Memory Maker this time.

On our last trip, I somehow lost the memory card that held the first 2 1/2 days of the trip. :bag :duh: If it weren't for the photopass pictures, I wouldn't have had any for those days. So, I'm an even bigger believer in it being worth it now.

lkoala
01-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Last year, we took our first trip in 20 years to Disneyland and DD's first trip ever. We did get a photopass card and had some pics taken but did not end up buying any of them. I didn't like the quality. The photography was not that great. As for getting everyone in the photo's, there was a Disney photographer right outside the main gates that asked us if we'd like a family photo and then took the photo with our camera. She also helped DD take a couple of photo's of us. It was a very nice experience.

If I were you, I'd take my own camera and get a photopass card and if you have the time and find a photographer, get the pics taken, you can decide later on whether you want them or not.

sewarsh
01-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Don't know what MM is, but Photopass is TOTALLY worth it!!!

acmom
01-24-2014, 03:34 PM
We have done it the last couple trips and totally think its worth it! It was so nice to have so many pics of all 4 of us as well as the ride, restaurant, and character pics. I felt like it took a lot of pressure off me to be the sole photographer so I could relax and enjoy more. We got tons of great pics and I used many of them in my kids autograph books and to make a photo book of the trip which they still look at often.

We purchased before we went as someone mentioned and it was a significant savings.

egoldber
01-24-2014, 04:09 PM
We bought a CD once many years ago. But only because I was there with 2 other families and we all combined our PhotoPass cards and split the cost of the CD three ways.

Honestly, I just don't want that many pix of my WDW trip. I generally only buy 1 that is of all of us. Otherwise I just use my phone to snap pix of the kids with characters.

KrisM
01-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Last year, we took our first trip in 20 years to Disneyland and DD's first trip ever. We did get a photopass card and had some pics taken but did not end up buying any of them. I didn't like the quality. The photography was not that great. As for getting everyone in the photo's, there was a Disney photographer right outside the main gates that asked us if we'd like a family photo and then took the photo with our camera. She also helped DD take a couple of photo's of us. It was a very nice experience.

If I were you, I'd take my own camera and get a photopass card and if you have the time and find a photographer, get the pics taken, you can decide later on whether you want them or not.

It's $50 less if you prepay. So, hoping to decide before we go.

I think we'll do it. Beth, I think your situation is different because you go so often. I know I take many fewer pictures on our repeat trips in NH. But for a one and only trip, I know I want pictures.

egoldber
01-25-2014, 10:42 AM
I guess it just depends on what you want to do with the pictures. I usually have one picture that I display from a trip and it tends to be a family shot. Other than that, we just look at them on the computer. Sometimes I print some out for autograph books, but I just do those at home. We don't make photobooks or anything of the trips. And the photographers/character handlers are always happy to use your camera.

SummerBaby
01-29-2014, 05:58 PM
We did photo pass + last year. I really thought it was worth it. I didn't want to lug my big camera with me so I relied just on photo pass and my iPhone. Definitely ask for magic shots. Also look for the Kodak photo op signs (something like that)- there are usually photographers there and you get some nice scenes in the background.

egoldber
02-03-2014, 11:14 AM
I didn't like the quality. The photography was not that great.

I've just looked at the PhotoPass pix from our trip. Frankly, the quality is so poor on most of them it's shocking IMO. For using a big, fancy DSLR, most of the shots are poorly lit and barely in focus.

BayGirl2
02-09-2014, 02:43 PM
I've just looked at the PhotoPass pix from our trip. Frankly, the quality is so poor on most of them it's shocking IMO. For using a big, fancy DSLR, most of the shots are poorly lit and barely in focus.

Unfortunately using a "big fancy DSLR" is not enough to get good pics, you have to know how to use it well. That said, we've had mostly good luck with PP photographers with a few exceptions. We've never had any out of focus, and our daytime shots have had decent lighting, they tend to set up in spots that optimize the natural light. My quality issue is that they shoot with an on camera flash with no diffuser for night shots, which makes you look washed out and shiny. That's an issue anyone using a point and shoot or cell phone and most uneducated DSLR users would have. So it bugs me, but for the average person I think its better or as good as they'd get with their own camera.

ETA: Also note that the pics you view on the PP site are low res. They always look poor quality to me. You get the full resolution on the download/CD. (Not sure which you are referring to)

kristac
02-10-2014, 09:25 AM
We are doing a photopass share (joined on facebook) when we go in March. It will be $25 including a CD. Figure I can't go wrong to give it a try.

brittone2
02-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Agree w ppl that you have to actively seek out photographers. Outside of main st in magic kingdom they weren't that abundant. We saw taking mickey and those pics didn't make it to our acct despite getting scanned. DH made a phone call and they did find them. We also didn't do a good number of rides that have photos...my kids don't like big coasters for ex. So we didn't end up w that many ride photos. Overall it was nice to have family pics of us altogether. As a first timer I was a little surprised that I had to actively seek them out or we would have had very few pics.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

sewarsh
02-10-2014, 03:28 PM
We are doing a photopass share (joined on facebook) when we go in March. It will be $25 including a CD. Figure I can't go wrong to give it a try.

What's this?

kristac
02-10-2014, 06:23 PM
What's this?

Search for Walt Disney World Photopass share on facebook. Basically you find a group of people traveling around the same time as you and share one photopass account.

sewarsh
02-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Search for Walt Disney World Photopass share on facebook. Basically you find a group of people traveling around the same time as you and share one photopass account.

Wow, that's really interesting. We actually know 2 other families that are going down at the same time as us (just ironically, not planned together at all). Could we share MM as long as we are linked up on My Disney Experience? if so, how would I link them? Do I need their ticket numbers? Also they are staying onsite so I know it will connect with their Magic BAnd, but how do our pics gets uploaded digitally? Do we still have the same type of card like PP had? Thanks so much for all your info.

KrisM
02-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Agree w ppl that you have to actively seek out photographers. Outside of main st in magic kingdom they weren't that abundant. We saw taking mickey and those pics didn't make it to our acct despite getting scanned. DH made a phone call and they did find them. We also didn't do a good number of rides that have photos...my kids don't like big coasters for ex. So we didn't end up w that many ride photos. Overall it was nice to have family pics of us altogether. As a first timer I was a little surprised that I had to actively seek them out or we would have had very few pics.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

How was your trip?

kristac
02-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Wow, that's really interesting. We actually know 2 other families that are going down at the same time as us (just ironically, not planned together at all). Could we share MM as long as we are linked up on My Disney Experience? if so, how would I link them? Do I need their ticket numbers? Also they are staying onsite so I know it will connect with their Magic BAnd, but how do our pics gets uploaded digitally? Do we still have the same type of card like PP had? Thanks so much for all your info.
This is my first time doing this. My understanding is that you can link them on MDE as friends/family. I don't think you need their park ticket info- when you link it should link to their whole profile on MDE. If you are not staying onsite you get a photopass card from the photographers and enter the card #'s after you get back on the photopass site.

sewarsh
02-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Thx, I apreciate all the info kristac. and for saving me money!