PDA

View Full Version : I just weaned my 22 mo & I'm grieving a little. And nobody understands.

ShanaMama
01-26-2014, 10:25 AM
That's pretty much it. I thought I was nursing him for so long for his good. He has multiple FA & can't drink milk or soymilk. As a young baby there were many times after he was eating solids that I relied on a nursing session to supplement or replace a meal. Plus I wanted to give his immune system all the boost I could.
But I knew for the last few months that I just wasn't ready to wean him because *I* didn't want to stop nursing him, even though everyone around me pretty much thought I was crazy (right down to my Ped apparently!!)

Last Saturday I just woke up & decided it was time. I had only been nursing before bed at that point & in the morning he'd wake up @ 5:30-6 & come snuggle & nurse with me for a while. I talked it up for 24 hours & then went cold turkey. We changed up the bedtime routine a little & overall he took it well. It's been a week now & he barely even asks anymore.
I am sad. I love nursing. I miss his snuggly body curled up next to me cannibalizing me. :) I miss my rough & tumble toddler turning into a sweet ball of mush in my arms. My arms are aching.

I know it was time. He adjusted so well that it's clear he was ready. And its certainly nice that DH can do bedtime & i cam even sleep till 7 am sometimes!! But I'm still sad. Not to mention a bit sore on the side he always nursed. I told DH that I might be a little hormonal (read moody) while my body readjusts. But I really didn't expect this bittersweet feeling. Well, bitter, not sweet.

JBaxter
01-26-2014, 10:37 AM
I remember that feeling. Hugs. Even now at 5 Jack crawls into my bed snuggles up and rubs my earlobe between his fingers Yah that sounds odd but he would do that when he nursed 5 yrs and I haven't been able to wear earrings LOL

123LuckyMom
01-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Well we get it! I'm still nursing my 21 month old with no plans to stop very soon. I nurse her before bed, in the mornings, and occasionally at nap time. I nursed DS until he was past 2. It's not crazy to have a long term nursing relationship, especially if you're dealing with food allergies! Good for you for giving your kiddo the nutrition and closeness that you both needed.

jent
01-26-2014, 11:17 AM
I get it, and think your feelings are totally normal. DD weaned at 13 or 14 months. It wasn't planned, though we had dropped most feedings and were doing bedtime and wake up like you. Then DD went on a nursing strike (she had accidentally bitten me, I reacted strongly, and she began refusing at the next feed) and I realized we were done. I felt exactly as you describe-- glad she was growing up and it have some of my life back, but sad to say goodbye to that part of our relationship. Plus my boobs hurt!

So, hugs to you- and yes, your feelings are normal!

MamaMolly
01-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Hugs, hugs, hugs. I weaned Dolly about the same age and even though I was 99% more than ready I was still a little sad.

jgenie
01-26-2014, 04:59 PM
I remember the same feelings when I weaned my two. Congrats on making it so long!

ShanaMama
01-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I knew you guys (gals) would understand!

ShanaMama
01-26-2014, 05:01 PM
I remember that feeling. Hugs. Even now at 5 Jack crawls into my bed snuggles up and rubs my earlobe between his fingers Yah that sounds odd but he would do that when he nursed 5 yrs and I haven't been able to wear earrings LOL
Ya, my baby loves to squish my mushy tummy. Not sure I want him to continue that!

Melaine
01-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Awwww....just weaned DS on friday, he is also 22 months. I do feel a little sad because I didn't take any pictures while BFing. and i will miss how he would slow down pretty much only to nurse. Mixed feelings for sure!

mommyp
01-26-2014, 08:42 PM
:hug: :hug: I know that feeling too, DS weaned around 18 months and we were both ready, but it was still a little sad for me. I think more so than when DD weaned because I knew we weren't going to have another one.

mikala
01-26-2014, 11:43 PM
Aw, hugs. I get it too. Ds2 is down to one or two feedings a day and I'm already feeling a lot of the same emotions. He is very likely my last baby and the thought of never having that nursing cuddles relationship again makes me want to cry.

elizabethkott
01-27-2014, 12:07 AM
Oh, mama... Hugs. It's ok to grieve. DS2 made it to 18mos, and he's still a snugglebun at 3 1/2. It's so hard right now, I know.
(((((Hugs)))))

KpbS
01-27-2014, 01:01 AM
It is sad! Very bittersweet to see them grow up and leave babyhood behind. :hug:

ShanaMama
01-27-2014, 01:36 AM
Awwww....just weaned DS on friday, he is also 22 months. I do feel a little sad because I didn't take any pictures while BFing. and i will miss how he would slow down pretty much only to nurse. Mixed feelings for sure!
Oh wow, you also just weaned? I feel like we have parallel lives. Weren't we both struggling with STTN at the same time? My kids don't actually start sleeping well until they are weaned. I must be super crazy that I nursed him for this long! Is your little guy sleeping better now?

ShanaMama
01-27-2014, 01:37 AM
It is sad! Very bittersweet to see them grow up and leave babyhood behind. :hug:
Oh, yes. His newest phrase is "you Havta!!"

Tondi G
01-27-2014, 03:52 AM
that was right around the age that DS1 weaned. While I was happy to be done, I was sad at the same time. It's perfectly normal to feel this way... it's been a daily occurrence for over 2 years!!! (((HUGS))) congrats on making it so long.

Melaine
01-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Oh wow, you also just weaned? I feel like we have parallel lives. Weren't we both struggling with STTN at the same time? My kids don't actually start sleeping well until they are weaned. I must be super crazy that I nursed him for this long! Is your little guy sleeping better now?

Yes, it was a nightmare with sleep. he didn't STTN until DH did ferber with him, that was in Oct. He has been a good sleeper ever since. With all the MSPI restrictions, bfIng was really a pain but I wanted to keep it up because i had worked so hard to make it work, ykwim?

goldenpig
01-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Yes, it is bittersweet when they grow up! Totally OK to be sad about weaning! I feel the same way. I nursed DD till 3, DS1 till 2 (he was allergic to dairy), and am still nursing 10 month old DS2 but he has so many food allergies (dairy, soy and eggs, and I just discovered he's probably allergic to shellfish too...he just had a big reflux/rash flare after eating one shrimp). It is so hard to avoid hidden allergens and he is so sensitive that I keep thinking I should quit, but I'm trying to hang on at least until a year. More psychologically than anything else, but I also want him to have more antibodies through the winter too. I'm sad though that he'll probably be nursed the shortest of all, and that it'll be my last one. All three of them were night wakers/night nursers/refluxers and DS2 wakes up like a newborn every 1-2 hours esp when he's having attacks (which is why I'm typing this at 3:30 in the morning, he's already been up 5 times tonight!). Maybe he'll sleep better once he's weaned and I can start eating a normal diet again. (ETA: Both of my older ones had a pet name for nursing...I'm sad about possibly stopping before DS2 starts talking and picks a name for it, how silly is that!)

Congrats on making it so long, and have him give you lots of hugs and cuddles! Good luck! :hug:

lizzywednesday
01-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Mine was just under 3 when we weaned (she bit me and laughed; we went cold-turkey after that) and though our extended nursing wasn't due to FA's, I hear you.

We still snuggle, though, because she's a very snuggly kid at bedtime, even if she's rough-and-tumble the rest of the day.

Hugs, mama. I hear you.

MamaSnoo
01-27-2014, 04:57 PM
I understand. I felt that way when DD weaned at 27 mos, although she was ready to wean, and I was ready too in some ways!

DS is still nursing at 20 mos now. It is hard for me to think of the time when he will stop. But, I know it is coming. I will be a little relieved and better rested, I am sure (he still asks to nurse once overnight about 75% of nights, and I have not cut out that session yet). But, I will be sad too. I will miss the special snuggle times with my little piglet, and he is my last baby.

citymama
01-27-2014, 05:05 PM
I know just how you feel. It's such a bittersweet milestone. Hugs, mama, and congrats on nursing him for 22 months! :bighand: