PDA

View Full Version : I'm taking opinions on baby names...

coolae
01-26-2014, 04:28 PM
What do you think of Fern for baby girl #3? Sisters are Adelle and Greta. Also on the list are Sybil and Mabel. Is Fern TOO different? Clearly I like the old-lady types of names :)

georgiegirl
01-26-2014, 04:33 PM
I prefer Sybil and Mabel. For some reason, I'm getting a country bumpkin association with Fern.

wallawala
01-26-2014, 04:40 PM
I love Fern! Very sweet. And I don't think it sounds old ladyish. Slightly different from your first two, but I don't think it sounds out of place at all.

Mabel is a name I don't like on paper, but would grow on me if introduced to a kid with name. Our neighbor has a 12 yro named Mabel. Unique name that is easy to pronounce and spell.

Sybil...brings bad connatations to mind. But I'm old....

MolieMuts
01-26-2014, 04:50 PM
I love Fern... Charlotte's Web was one of my favorite books! I considered Ivy for a girl when I was pregnant.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-26-2014, 04:52 PM
i love Mabel. love that name.

i like the name Sybil too but yes brings up negative connations for me too (saw the movie in HS for psychology class).

speo
01-26-2014, 05:05 PM
I like Fern a lot. But I am a person who likes nature-based names. I think it goes well with the other two. I also like Mabel. And like PP, I couldn't do Sybil.

123LuckyMom
01-26-2014, 05:31 PM
I love Fern... Charlotte's Web was one of my favorite books! I considered Ivy for a girl when I was pregnant.

I IMMEDIATELY thought Charlotte's Web when I read Fern. It made me not want to use it, because it will have such a strong association for so many people, but that's my bias. I like Mabel. Sybil makes me think of the debunked multiple personality case (and subsequent movie).

Neatfreak
01-26-2014, 05:58 PM
I love Fern, as well as Mabel and Sybil. I think that Fern and Mabel blend better with the sibling names, though.

TwinFoxes
01-26-2014, 07:08 PM
I will admit, I don't love it. I do like Adelle and Greta quite a bit. Those don't sound old lady to me, more movie star glam. Fern seems very plain to me. Plus it reminds me of Vern.

I like Sybil the best out of your current choices.

sariana
01-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Sybil=Trelawney
Mabel=Mothers Always Bring Extra Love (anyone remember that show?)

Fern=a sweet little girl who loved an animal
Fern=a resilient plant that thrives where others wither

I like Fern. :)

Green_Tea
01-26-2014, 07:27 PM
I will admit, I don't love it. I do like Adelle and Greta quite a bit. Those don't sound old lady to me, more movie star glam. Fern seems very plain to me. Plus it reminds me of Vern.

This is exactly how I feel. Sybil is the best of the three and reminds me of Lady Sybil on Downton Abbey. Mabel and Fern are not in the same league as Adelle and Greta (which are beautiful).

Other names I like that I think are in the same genre:

Elisa
Marta
Maria
Josephine
Emmaline
Claire
Patrice
Madeline
Marguerite

Green_Tea
01-26-2014, 07:52 PM
This is exactly how I feel. Sybil is the best of the three and reminds me of Lady Sybil on Downton Abbey. Mabel and Fern are not in the same league as Adelle and Greta (which are beautiful).

Other names I like that I think are in the same genre:

Elisa
Marta
Maria
Josephine
Emmaline
Claire
Patrice
Madeline
Marguerite

Adding to the list:

Camille
Nina
Alicia
Marina
Marielle

scrooks
01-26-2014, 07:59 PM
I like Fern but it definitely reminds me of Charlottes Web (not a bad thing in my opinion). And I like Mabel but immediately thought of Mad About You (but again not bad to me).

I dislike Sybil because of the bad connection to the book/movie.

coolae
01-26-2014, 08:12 PM
thanks for all of the opinions! keep 'em coming! i agree that Fern is not as beautiful at Adelle or Greta...still looking for that Perfect Name. I've always like Nina too...

Green_Tea
01-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Adding to the list:

Camille
Nina
Alicia
Marina
Marielle

A few more (I'm not sure what's come over me - clearly I like your DDs' names!):

Elisabeth or Elizabeth
Eliza
Liza
Elena
Alaina
Stella
Marcella

I think that Fern and Mabel are lacking the musical, graceful, elegant quality that your older DDs' names have.

mommylamb
01-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Sybil is definitely my favorite of those three, and Mabel is definitely my least favorite. I like some of Green-Tea's suggestions too, especially Stella.

sariana
01-26-2014, 08:58 PM
For some reason when I say the first two, I think the third should be two syllables and end with -ene.

Christine
Selene
Marlene
Charlene
Arlene
Darlene
Jolene
Francine

I like Christine the best, but it's pretty staid compared with your other two.

DietCokeLover
01-26-2014, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=sariana;3943326]
Mabel=Mothers Always Bring Extra Love (anyone remember that show?

)[/ QUOTE]

One of my favorite shows, but never really liked that name.

I like Fern. I immediately thought of the aunt in Steel Magnolias that made the armadillo groom's cake.

OP, I love your later suggestion of Nina. I think that sounds lovely with your other two girls' names.

Green_Tea
01-26-2014, 09:39 PM
For some reason when I say the first two, I think the third should be two syllables and end with -ene.

Christine
Selene
Marlene
Charlene
Arlene
Darlene
Jolene
Francine

I like Christine the best, but it's pretty staid compared with your other two.

Oh, I like Jolene!

flashy09
01-26-2014, 09:41 PM
I like Fern a lot. It reminds me of Wren, which is a name i considered for DD. I love all the nature names though...Hazel, River, flower names, etc.

scrooks
01-26-2014, 09:46 PM
I'll add these to the suggestions

Cora
Nora
Hazel

abh5e8
01-26-2014, 09:46 PM
i love Fern or Ivy or Wren or Hazel.

coolae
01-26-2014, 09:47 PM
I do really love my daughters' names which makes this very difficult because I want something as unique and beautiful as theirs! Sariana touched on something I've been thinking about which is how the name should end. I do think something with an -y or -ie or -ene would go well with the sibling names since it is different. BUT, it seems like most of the names I like the most (like Nina) end in an -a, which Greta's already does. Do you ladies think of that as an insurmountable problem? ;) I just don't want two of the names to sound too similar...

TwinFoxes
01-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Oh, I like Jolene!

It's so funny, I've been thinking "wow, people wouldn't name someone Sybil because of that ancient movie?" But then I see Jolene and thought "who would name someone Jolene? She's the hussy in that Dolly Parton song!" :bag

How about Jolie? I have a friend named that and always thought it was pretty. Or Josie (Josephine). I think Jolie and Josie work as the kid sister name.

I also agree with Green Tea that Fern lacks a musical graceful quality that Greta and Adelle have. I really like those names.

OK, sorry for the free association post, but I think the reason Fern doesn't match is because Adelle and Greta sound vaguely European, like they go to a Swiss boarding school. Fern just goes to regular public school ;) (not slagging public schools! My whole family went/goes to public schools!).

More suggestions
Marguerite
Lillian
Iliana (love this!)
Elsa
Brigitte/Brigid
Sabrina
Sabine
Annabella

ETA: both of my DDs names end with "a". Not a problem at all! As long as they don't rhyme, or start with the same letter it's no big deal.

Green_Tea
01-26-2014, 10:00 PM
I do really love my daughters' names which makes this very difficult because I want something as unique and beautiful as theirs! Sariana touched on something I've been thinking about which is how the name should end. I do think something with an -y or -ie or -ene would go well with the sibling names since it is different. BUT, it seems like most of the names I like the most (like Nina) end in an -a, which Greta's already does. Do you ladies think of that as an insurmountable problem? ;) I just don't want two of the names to sound too similar...

I don't think that it is insurmountable if the initial vowel sound is different (Greta and Nina) OR if they have a different number of syllables (Greta and Eliza).

Green_Tea
01-26-2014, 10:02 PM
It's so funny, I've been thinking "wow, people wouldn't name someone Sybil because of that ancient movie?" But then I see Jolene and thought "who would name someone Jolene? She's the hussy in that Dolly Parton song!" :bag

How about Jolie? I have a friend named that and always thought it was pretty. Or Josie (Josephine). I think Jolie and Josie work as the kid sister name.

I also agree with Green Tea that Fern lacks a musical graceful quality that Greta and Adelle have. I really like those names.

OK, sorry for the free association post, but I think the reason Fern doesn't match is because Adelle and Greta sound vaguely European, like they go to a Swiss boarding school. Fern just goes to regular public school ;) (not slagging public schools! My whole family went/goes to public schools!).

More suggestions
Marguerite
Lillian
Iliana (love this!)
Elsa
Brigitte/Brigid
Sabrina
Sabine
Annabella

Brigitte is GORGEOUS. Adelle, Greta, and Brigitte sound like a triple threat :).

rin
01-26-2014, 10:04 PM

:yeahthat: word for word.

What about Sylvie or Sylvia? It seems similar to your older girls' names, and I think it's lovely. I wanted to name dd2 Sylvia but DH vetoed it.

coolae
01-26-2014, 10:05 PM
I have the feeling my husband would love Brigitte...y'all are good baby namers!!!

TxCat
01-26-2014, 10:12 PM

:yeahthat: I agree entirely with the thorough analysis by TF and Green Tea. Of the names that have come up so far, my favorites to go with your DD's names are Nina, Stella and Sylvie.

sariana
01-26-2014, 10:36 PM
There was a little girl names Jolie in DS's baby class. It actually means "pretty" in French. :)

Is Brigitte pronounced BRIDGE-It or Bridge-EET? That would be my concern with that name.

SASM
01-27-2014, 12:53 AM
I like Fern but prefer Mabel. But...how about Hazel or Eleanor?

klwa
01-27-2014, 07:45 AM
Out of the three listed, I prefer Sybil. Fern just doesn't "fit" to me. And Mabel was my grandmother's name. She hated it. :) Said the kids at school would pick her up on top of the lunch room table & sing "Mabel, Mabel, Table, Table." Yeah, not the worst that could happen. :) But it made me steer clear of that as a name. :)

coolae
01-27-2014, 07:57 AM
There was a little girl names Jolie in DS's baby class. It actually means "pretty" in French. :)

Is Brigitte pronounced BRIDGE-It or Bridge-EET? That would be my concern with that name.

bree-GI-tə (German) from Behind the Name...
now i'm starting to like Sybil again. i feel like it's the only one that comes close to Adelle/Greta in beauty and uniqueness! i do like Stella but our name starts with ST and i think it would be a little much. i don't feel like Sylvie is quite special enough...

amandabea
01-27-2014, 09:57 AM
I really like the prior suggestions of Lilian, Charlene and Hazel. My personal favorite that hasn't been mentioned is Evangeline.

almostmom
01-27-2014, 11:15 AM
What about Maeve?

I love Mabel, and like Fern. Not Sybil - we joke someone at work is a Sybil because of how she acts at the Yankee Swap (she is in on the joke - not behind her back!).

Also, we considered Liana - it's a vine that grows in the tops of trees. I still love that name, and kind of wished we'd used it! Also, Terra, or Tierra, for earth.

KLD313
01-27-2014, 11:21 AM
If you want a short four letter name maybe Eden. I actually like the name Sybil even though it makes me think of what everyone else said. I don't think that's a big deal.

sariana
01-27-2014, 11:39 AM
bree-GI-tə (German) from Behind the Name...
now i'm starting to like Sybil again. i feel like it's the only one that comes close to Adelle/Greta in beauty and uniqueness! i do like Stella but our name starts with ST and i think it would be a little much. i don't feel like Sylvie is quite special enough...

Oh, wow, that pronunciation never would occur to me, and it seems too close to Greta.

If you like names from The Sound of Music (Greta/Gretel, Brigitta), what about Liesel or Luisa? Those might be too many S sounds with your St-- though.

For something different, how about Flavia?

You have French and Germanic already; what about Heidi for the Swiss?

I would think twice about Sybil because of the sibilance with your last name. She might sound as thogh she has a lisp when saying her full name: Sybil St----.

Associations with books/shows vary and may come and go, but coordination with your last name will matter her whole young life.

speo
01-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Yay, for other Wren lovers!

I love Liesel. How about Linnea?

coolae
01-27-2014, 02:41 PM
I do like Liesel! Is it too cheesy to go with two Sound of Music type names though? Honestly Sybil sounds good with our last name, which you'll have to take my word for ;) The Sally Field movie association doesn't bother me either.
I do like Heidi but it just doesn't seem all that unique. I don't really like Flavia, Linnea, Eden, Lillian....I appreciate the name suggestions and they are nice names but not all are quite what I'm looking for.
This is driving me nuts!

sariana
01-27-2014, 02:54 PM
It seems that you like Sybil!:)

citymama
01-27-2014, 04:19 PM

This, exactly, except I prefer Mabel. ;-)

Fern short for Fernanda, maybe. But I much prefer the prettiness of Mabel or Sybil, especially given the older sisters' names.

Don't forget that baby naming is your choice, so totally disregard us if you have your heart set on Fern!

KpbS
01-27-2014, 04:23 PM
I like Sybil best out of your choices. Haven't read PP but I like Sylvia even better (similar to Sybil) and Bridget (or Brigetta) best!

mikala
01-27-2014, 04:53 PM
What about Elsa or Elise? I also like Mabel and Sybil but am just not feeling Fern. I keep visualizing a potted plant.

TwinFoxes
01-27-2014, 05:12 PM
I do like Liesel! Is it too cheesy to go with two Sound of Music type names though? Honestly Sybil sounds good with our last name, which you'll have to take my word for ;)

I like Sound of Music, but I don't think anyone but diehard fans can name all the kids, but maybe I'm wrong. I like Liesel.

If the movie connection doesn't bother you, I'd just go with Sybil.

BTW, I was thinking bri-Jeet, but bri-geeta is lovely too. :)

Flavia? I'm not sure most people would name their kid something that could rhyme with "labia" or reminds people of this guy:

Tondi G
01-27-2014, 05:41 PM
I like Fern, Mabel is ok too. How about Charlotte? Adelle, Greta and Charlotte. Marlo? Elsa? Elise? Amalie?

sariana
01-27-2014, 05:42 PM
I like Sound of Music, but I don't think anyone but diehard fans can name all the kids, but maybe I'm wrong. I like Liesel.

If the movie connection doesn't bother you, I'd just go with Sybil.

BTW, I was thinking bri-Jeet, but bri-geeta is lovely too. :)

Flavia? I'm not sure most people would name their kid something that could rhyme with "labia" or reminds people of this guy:

Leisel, Friedrich, Louisa, Kurt, Brigitta, Marta, Gretel

Yes, I am a geek.

I don't know who that guy is, but I think Flavia is pronounced Fla-VEE-uh.

I like the Elsa suggestion, but there's still The Sound of Music connection. The Baroness was named Elsa or Ilsa I think. But I don't think anyone would connect Greta and Elsa to TSoM.

OP, what about Giselle? Is that too similar to Adelle?

TwinFoxes
01-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Leisel, Friedrich, Louisa, Kurt, Brigitta, Marta, Gretel

Yes, I am a geek.

I don't know who that guy is, but I think Flavia is pronounced Fla-VEE-uh.

I like the Elsa suggestion, but there's still The Sound of Music connection. The Baroness was named Elsa or Ilsa I think. But I don't think anyone would connect Greta and Elsa to TSoM.

OP, what about Giselle? Is that too similar to Adelle?

That's Flavor Flave.

I know its Flah-via. But I'm pretty sure any middle school bully worth their salt would be rhyming it with labia pretty quickly.

i thought "die hard fan" was nicer than "geek". :)

Tenasparkl
01-27-2014, 06:12 PM
I love Charlotte's Web and suggested Fern for my DD over and over, but DH wanted no part of it. What about Margot?
So many that have been suggested are great. I love Elsa, but I imagine that there will be a lot of them soon due to Frozen.

AtlantaMom
01-27-2014, 11:04 PM
How about Clara?

rin
01-27-2014, 11:08 PM
I love Charlotte's Web and suggested Fern for my DD over and over, but DH wanted no part of it. What about Margot?
So many that have been suggested are great. I love Elsa, but I imagine that there will be a lot of them soon due to Frozen.

Oh, I love Margot!! I think it sounds gorgeous with your older girls' names. Very classy, IMO, with that same vaguely European feel.

KpbS
01-27-2014, 11:34 PM
I love Margot too--I often suggest it here. :)

Piglet
01-28-2014, 02:14 AM
What about Sadie? Friends named their DD Sadie a year ago and I fell in love with the name!!

klwa
01-28-2014, 07:34 AM
Oh, and since you're looking for other options, how about Miriam?

lele
01-28-2014, 07:36 AM
Our bus monitor is named Fabienne (fab-e-n). I always think it's so pretty.

coolae
01-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I do like Margot but since it's a diminutive of Margaret (like Greta), I feel like I should stay away. Miriam is nice...I like Sadie but it's way too popular for me! Yes, I am picky!

TwinFoxes
01-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Yes, I am picky!

I think we all are when it comes to baby names. :) You have some really lovely choices. You'll fine the right one.

What about Maren?

AnnieW625
01-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Fern is nice, but add me to the list of Charlotte's Web readers who will always think of Fern (or a nice leafy plant).

I am not a huge fan of Mabel, there are so many "old lady" names I like more like Agnes, Frances, Ruth, Beverly, Hazel, Evelyn, Louise, Veronica, and Alice just to name a few. My daughters are Elisa (she is named after her great grandma and great grandma's Americanized name is Alice), and Lauren. I think they both have classic names, but people mispell or mispronounce Elisa a lot. I also liked the name Charlotte, but that is super trendy here right now.

What about Mallory? Not quite old lady, not quite trendy, but classic and I think it would go well: Adele, Gretta, and Mallory.

I like Sybil the best of the original 3, but like Cora might be thought of as a Downton Abbey name and I think 2013 will show a rise in popularity for both names on the SSA list; although Sybil hasn't been in the top 1000 since 1966 (833) and Cora has been between 100 and 150 for a time even before the show, but I still think it is the most recognizable name from the show. I think of all of the Downton Abbey names Mary, and Isabel would be the easiest to use (and not get comments about did you name your DD after a show), but the rest of the main cast aren't super popular, but could still lean trendy due to the show.

Have you tried Nymbler or Baby Name Wizard? If you want to see how trendy an old lady name is try Nameberry (although the way the names are ranked is kind of strange, not necessarily kids with the name, but the number of times a name is searched--so a name like Fern could be the #1 name searched for a week, but not be a top 1000 name on the SSA list).

indigo99
01-28-2014, 11:09 PM
I supposed that Gracie isn't unique enough for you, but I think it's cute. I do not like Sybil. I do like Hazel and Elise, but Hattie is my absolute favorite old lady name. I'll throw out my grandmother's name if you want an old lady name that isn't at all common - Wilsie. There's also Nancy.

HannaAddict
01-29-2014, 01:46 AM
Serafina
Sevrine (pronounced Sevrin)
Lily
Adair
Julia
Vivienne
Aubrey
Wren
Violet
Avery (keeping with charlottes web)
Elsie
Cora
Delia (Celtic)

PZMommy
01-29-2014, 02:00 AM
I like a previous poster's suggestion of Lily! I think it sounds great with your other daughter's names.

I don't like Fern at all. Not a fan of Mabel either. I can imagine lots of rhyming with table. My name is Dawn, and I got teased countless times being call Dawn the Fawn, and it bugged me a lot as a kid! So I consider all possible name calling when thinking of names. Sybil would be the favorite of the three you gave.

sariana
01-29-2014, 03:18 AM
As I posted earlier in the thread, you seem to like Sybil a lot!

But if you're still ruminating, an earlier suggestion reminded of a name I don't think has been mentioned: Mairin.

I like Lily, but it seems really popular, which doesn't seem to be what you're after.

TwinFoxes
01-29-2014, 09:25 AM
But if you're still ruminating, an earlier suggestion reminded of a name I don't think has been mentioned: Mairin.

I like Lily, but it seems really popular, which doesn't seem to be what you're after.

I just realized my post got auto-corrected to Marin, but it was meant to be Maren, which I think is the same pronunciation as Mairin. I've never seen that spelling before. :) I loved the sound of the name, it was on my "considering" list for DD.

I like Lily too, but it does seem very popular.

sariana
01-29-2014, 11:47 AM
I just realized my post got auto-corrected to Marin, but it was meant to be Maren, which I think is the same pronunciation as Mairin. I've never seen that spelling before. :) I loved the sound of the name, it was on my "considering" list for DD.

I like Lily too, but it does seem very popular.

Well, oops, I actually was thinking of Mairon Bennett, the Canandian actress. So I misspelled it and can't blame auto-correct!

I like Mairin, too, but I was thinking of Mairon. I always thought it was MAY-rin, but it could be MARE-en.

coolae
01-29-2014, 04:06 PM
It's funny, I'm so into baby names so many of these names have come up for me in the past and shown up on various name lists of mine, including Maren. Ultimately it was probably nixed for not having some "it" factor but I'll nosh it around in my head. I have until June, but I hate the feeling of not having a great name option. I do feel good about Sybil and can really see it fitting into our family--"I'm gonna take Greta and Sybil with me to the store" just rolls of the tongue! I do worry that my mom will hear Sybil and immediately think of the Sally Fields movie though!

KpbS
01-30-2014, 12:58 AM
We know a Mairyn (pronounced the same as Maren/Marin) and I think that's a pretty spelling.

rin
01-30-2014, 01:15 AM
It's funny, I'm so into baby names so many of these names have come up for me in the past and shown up on various name lists of mine, including Maren. Ultimately it was probably nixed for not having some "it" factor but I'll nosh it around in my head. I have until June, but I hate the feeling of not having a great name option. I do feel good about Sybil and can really see it fitting into our family--"I'm gonna take Greta and Sybil with me to the store" just rolls of the tongue! I do worry that my mom will hear Sybil and immediately think of the Sally Fields movie though!

Honestly, I think people's associations will fade. I worry a lot about what playground taunts can be made out of a name, but not as much about what people in older generations might think. I'm guessing that many people younger than 30 or so won't have the same negative associations with Sybil, and older people in her life will get used to it and soon your DD will be the primary association, not the movie. If you love the name (which it sounds like you do), I wouldn't force yourself to toss it over the movie.

If you're still fishing, though, what about Camille/Camila? There's even a connection to the name Greta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_%281936_film%29)!

american_mama
02-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Mable is the only one of those I would choose for myself, but all of them fit your naming style which I admire because it's so distinct. I think of Fern as a nature name and a so-old-fashioned-it-might-be-current name, although it does sound a little country. Opal, Coral and Pearl are others you might consider. Very old-fashioned and uncommon, yet familiar. Maybe Hazel and Iris too. Eva? Veronica? As a variation of Sylvia or Sybil, I went to high school with a Sylvan.

Someone mentioned Hattie. I knew a girl who is now about 10 named Hattie and find it cute. It can be a nickname for Henrietta, which has a lot of other nickname possibilities.

For an -ene ending, there is Josephine, Nadine (I like this), Maxine (my grandmother), Pauline (her twin sister), Augustine, Martine or Martein.

mom2beofboy/girltwins
02-01-2014, 02:19 PM
What about Scarlett?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

HannaAddict
02-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Hattie is short for Harriet around here and more popular than Lily just based on how many we know. Not a fan of Sybil. Scarlett is pretty too as other poster said. Marin is pretty and we k one Manon too and pretty french name.

coolae
02-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Okay so for those of you who do not like Sybil, why is that? I can take it!

123LuckyMom
02-01-2014, 04:33 PM
It's not that I don't like the name itself, but for me it has three associations: multiple personality woman, daughter on Downton Abbey, and the Greek Sybil who told people's fortunes and caused so much misery. The last is the actual meaning of the name, "prophetess" from the Greek. I also just don't live the sound of it, but that's so personal. I don't think it's a bad name, or anything. If you used it I wouldn't say that was a mistake at all. It's just not a favorite for ME.

I do LOVE the name Harriet. My DH nixed it, but I still live it. It was not an uncommon name in England where I grew up, though here most people do think of it as old lady-ish. I think it's a great name! (And it's the name of a very old, dear friend of mine.)

ETA: Sorry that my phone almost always replaces love with live-- annoying!

zukeypur
02-01-2014, 05:01 PM
I love Mabel, Leisel, and Hazel. I LOVE Hazel.

JBaxter
02-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Sybil will for ever be that movie about the woman who was severly abused with multiple personalities ( Sally Fields played her) I watched it when I was younger and can say it scared me. So Sybil is forever associated for me. I really like Fern but I knew a lady named Fern and she was a delight. Hazel reminds me of witch hazel and Mabel I knew a nastly old lady what smelled of moth balls when I was a kid. Funny how names bring up memories / opinions.

specialp
02-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Sybil is just the movie association, but it is a big one. I don't think it is one of those that will fade quickly and it was far more unique than say "Carrie" was with that movie. We joke about sybil even now when someone does something completely out of character in our group and most of us, myself included, have never seen the movie. I have wondered if they would ever do a remake as that seems to be so popular to do now. I have a relative (older, pre-movie) named Sybil and when I mention her to others, people do sometimes reference the movie. That said, I don't dislike the name, just not the association.