PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your Crossfit experience

firstbaby
01-28-2014, 11:57 AM
I tried an Intro to Crossfit class last night and I'm intrigued. There is another Crossfit gym a little closer to my house that I want to look at to compare the two facilities. Can you tell me about your Crossfit experience and facility? How many days a week you do Crossfit and if you do any other exercise? Also, how much you pay and if it is month to month or contract?

Here were my impressions from the place last night - the instructors did not look fit like I would have expected, but they had excellent form and were able to explain form well. I felt a little red flag because they mentioned you would have to stretch yourself after the class because the class itself usually went for the full hour. I would expect some stretching at the end to be included but maybe I'm wrong. One place is $140 a month and you must do a 12 month contract. The second place is $150 a month and no contract. At place #2, you can also pay $20 a month to drop in but must pay $125 to do a 6 hour class to learn all the "stuff".

I've been doing a pilates video at home 2x week in addition to running 3x week. Running is my "thing" and I want to tone up more but not move my running to the side. I'm also trying a Pilates reformer class this week but Crossfit seems like it would be more cardio plus toning and I'm guessing the reformer would be more toning? The Crossfit schedule would work a little better for me since I could keep doing it first thing in the AM. The reformer class is mid day and that would be a challenge with kids. But, I also worry I could injure myself from Crossfit - maybe that's just a newbie concern :)

AshUVA
01-28-2014, 12:20 PM
I started CF 2 years ago. I was very active and involved with sports since I was young. As an adult, I got into running and did a few half marathons and regularly hit the gym or did strength training classes. After I had my first baby, I got into pilates as a way to ease back into things. After a few months, I knew I needed something more so I tried CF. My on-ramp class was just a couple sessions to learn the basic lifts (they now offer it as a 3 week, 2-3 times a week, program). What I love about CF is that is something new every day so I never get bored, that's why I've been doing it for a couple years and have no reason to want to quit. It ALWAYS challenges me and I still get sore (a good sore!). The CF I go to is like a family and super supportive of everyone. I try to go 3-4 times a week (I've worked back up to this after my second baby) during lunch. My mornings and evenings are too busy to try to go then. I pay $110 per month for unlimited times. I think the drop-in rate is $15 and there's a punch card option if you only want to go 2 times per week. There is no contract to sign. I don't do any other exercises currently because I don't have time to fit it in. If I had time, I'd probably just do more CF classes (like on the weekend). Our CF has a great kids program so my almost 3 YO has started (it's very basic skills) and loves it also. We usually don't stretch as a group afterwards. We usually do a rowing/dynamic stretching individual warm up, then a group warm up, then strength (oly lifting), then the WOD, and possibly a cash-out (usually abs) if there's time. I've never been in better shape than with CF. Our instructors are all top-notch (the owner is also a physical therapist so it's handy if you have any issues/questions) and are strict on form. If you do things properly and listen to your body, you shouldn't get injured.

hillview
01-28-2014, 10:02 PM
I LOVE crossfit. been going for just over a year. I'd go with the place where the coaches COACH during the class. We warm up on our own befor (some minor warm up during class) and stretch after class. I've been to 5 or so crossfit places since I travel for work and it is SHOCKING at the # of places where the coaches do NOT coach. I am not a lifter by training and I need someone to tell me HOW to lift without hurting myself and who will modify workouts for me as needed so I need a coach who will coach vs hang out or watch.

I've had great results with crossfit. I didn't lose weight but lost a couple of inches. More critical to me (I didn't need to lose weight) is that my knees don't hurt anymore nor does my lower back. I am happy with how I look, can wear a bikini with no concerns and feel strong in a good way. I work out 3-4 times a week unless I am on the road.

firstbaby
01-29-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to do the pilates reformer class today and a cross fit class tomorrow morning. I'm nervous I won't be able to keep up with the class :)

firstbaby
01-29-2014, 11:28 AM
One more question - if I am shooting to "only" do this twice a week, will the benefit be there? I'm looking for toning and cardio strength as my goals. I don't think I can fit in any more than 2 days a week.

daisysmom
01-29-2014, 02:29 PM
I did cross fir 2-3 times a week for a few months before the holidays. I really liked it - coach was excellent, and he advocated 2-3 times a week and giving your body time off for recovery. I stopped it bc it was 17 minutes away - and I just can't swing that commute and I was going to be 10 mintes late for the class I wanted to get to because of dropping dd off at school. I loved the workout tho, and at a different time in my life, would be completely addicted to it.

barkley1
02-01-2014, 11:28 PM
I'm a little 'skeered' to try it. My cardio endurance isn't the best, but I do a weights class for an hour 3x a week with no problems, but you can modify anything to your own level. The cross fit place near me sounds like it is run by Navy Seals. I see people out in the parking lot rolling HUGE, like 6 ft tall tires around, getting yelled at, etc. A friend said a mutual acquaintance was in one class and the instructor said if you could not/did not do the number of reps within a certain amount of time, you had to leave class. Yikes. After paying? Humiliation is not motivation for me to push myself to get fit. Now, I'm sure this isn't the case for all cross fit places. In fact, there are two in town, and I hear good things about the other one. Even if I had the b&ll$ to try it, I already belong to a gym and can't justify paying for,those classes, too.

HannaAddict
02-02-2014, 01:48 AM
I like cross training or circuit training but not "cross fit" branded stuff. Not into the "he-man" stuff the place here offers and have too many people I know injured. I love Pilates reformer one on one, you can do the jump board using the reformer for cardio and toning. But if I was only doing one reformer class a week I'd skip jump board. If you do cross fit, listen to your body and don't get hurt trying to overdo it. You aren't a Navy Seal! At least I don't think you are. :)

firstbaby
02-03-2014, 11:59 AM
HannaAddict, I had to LOL about the Navy Seal thing! I refuse to do a triathlon because I can't swim or bike. The Seals would definitely not want me :)

I really liked the class and want to try it more. I need to check out the place that does not require a contract. I really like the coaching from the first place, but committing $140 a month for 12 months is a big commitment! Especially when I haven't done scheduled workouts and driving someplace to work out since having kids. If I like the other place as much, I will sign up.

The place I've taken the classes with so far are really great about showing modifications for different levels and scaling the workout. So, I don't feel like it is he-man stuff…yet :)