PDA

View Full Version : Dress Me for a Funeral

BabbyO
01-29-2014, 11:59 AM
DH's Grandmother passed away on Monday. It was expected, but never easy. So I just realized every funeral I've ever been to has been in the summer and I don't really have anything appropriate for the funeral - It should be warming up to 14 deg F the day of the funeral. We will be inside - no graveside service.

Also, I may be singing at the service.

Budget is next to nothing. If I can get a piece/pieces I can wear for other occasions I can probably afford $40-50 - and my options for shopping are Kohls at lunch tomorrow or Burlington Coat factory or my closet.

Things that might work from my closet:
-Black below the knee skirt - reminds me of this (http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1685109/sag-harbor-perfect-fit-gored-skirt-womens-plus.jsp).
-Dark Grey herringbone pants with a thin burgundy pin stripe. They have a fairly wide leg with a cuff at the bottom. Professional looking
-Black Cashmere modest v-neck sweater
-A couple of white blouses - short and long sleeved.
-I have a medium grey skirt suit, but I'm not actually sure if the skirt fits. Skirt is a pencil skirt to the knees. The jacket should fit, but I can't wear it with my grey pants.
-I have this shoe (http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1410850/croft-barrow-sole-senseability-dress-heels-women.jsp?color=Red) in both the burgundy and the grey and black mary jane pumps.

Or should I just go for something altogether different?

Thanks. I just don't have the fashion sense or time to come up with something.

elizabethkott
01-29-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.
I think the skirt with the black cashmere sweater is perfectly appropriate with the pumps. You could always get thicker tights in black if you're concerned about the cold.
I also like the combo of the black cashmere sweater with the herringbone pants with the burgandy shoes.

KLD313
01-29-2014, 12:38 PM
If you wanted to go a different route I bet you could find an appropriate dress at Kohls in your budget. That's what I did for my grandmothers funeral. I think a lot of what you have will be fine, too.

boolady
01-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Kohls seems to have a bunch of wrap or faux wrap dresses in dark colors that would be appropriate and in your budget. I might see if something like that works.

Kindra178
01-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Gray suit and black heels/tights.

BabbyO
01-29-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.
I think the skirt with the black cashmere sweater is perfectly appropriate with the pumps. You could always get thicker tights in black if you're concerned about the cold.
I also like the combo of the black cashmere sweater with the herringbone pants with the burgandy shoes.

Thank you for the sentiment. She was a wonderful woman, but I'm glad for her sake that she's moved to a better place.

The bolded is what I was thinking about...but I wear it to work fairly often...so I wasn't sure if it was appropriate (I work in a fairly conservative field, though). I also wasn't sure about the burgundy pumps...

If you wanted to go a different route I bet you could find an appropriate dress at Kohls in your budget. That's what I did for my grandmothers funeral. I think a lot of what you have will be fine, too.

I may swing over there tomorrow to see what I can find. If nothing I won't stress too much about it.

Piglet
01-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Gray suit and black heels/tights.

:yeahthat:

lizzywednesday
01-29-2014, 01:40 PM
So very sorry for your loss, BabbyO.

When we buried my grandmother last month, I also did a reading at the funeral. I wore a dark green and navy blue print wrap dress, black tights, and black heels; it's something I've worn to work several times, but not regularly as I work primarily from home.

I also think that, if you're unable to find anything in your Kohls run, the sweater-trousers-burgundy heels combo will be just fine. "Appropriate" to me means dressed nicely, with comfort being my primary concern. As the combo is something you are sure fits and is a regular outfit appropriate for a typical day in your (conservative) office, I think it's best - no stress about a new outfit to be something to distract you from supporting your DH and his family during a sad time.

Twoboos
01-29-2014, 02:50 PM
I am sorry you're going through this. I was also going to say the herringbone pants/sweater/burgundy shoes, or suit if all pieces fit.

barkley1
01-29-2014, 03:08 PM
I recently wore this to fil's funeral, but only bc we weren't going to be outside at all. It might be similar to the skirt you have. You could add tights, but all I had were peep toed shoes so I didn't. It was perfect.