PDA

View Full Version : How do you nurse while DC is in a carrier?

Philly Mom
01-31-2014, 03:22 PM
I have a cybex 2 go. It is kind of a hybrid carrier that provides every type of carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
01-31-2014, 05:01 PM
Wearing the baby and nursing in the carrier are effectively two separate skills:

http://blog.quirkybaby.com/2013/03/04/breastfeeding-babywearing-about-nursing-in-a-carrier/

Most people I've talked with IRL using SSCs find that it's easier when Baby has more head control due to positioning, but many mamas find it's not totally hands-free, so if that's what you're looking for, you may not be able to, though I wouldn't discourage you from trying!

I never figured out how to combine the two in a buckle-carrier, but had moderate success with a wrap tied in a sling-carry.

georgiegirl
01-31-2014, 05:18 PM
I've never been successful at nursing while wearing baby,

Philly Mom
01-31-2014, 05:30 PM
Wearing the baby and nursing in the carrier are effectively two separate skills:

http://blog.quirkybaby.com/2013/03/04/breastfeeding-babywearing-about-nursing-in-a-carrier/

Most people I've talked with IRL using SSCs find that it's easier when Baby has more head control due to positioning, but many mamas find it's not totally hands-free, so if that's what you're looking for, you may not be able to, though I wouldn't discourage you from trying!

I never figured out how to combine the two in a buckle-carrier, but had moderate success with a wrap tied in a sling-carry.

Thanks! Glad to know I am not incompetent and that this is actually challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candaceb
01-31-2014, 06:21 PM
I am always in awe when I see women doing it - I never even came close to being successful.

schrocat
01-31-2014, 06:27 PM
I used to nurse DS3 all the time in an Ergo. Basically I just throw a nursing cover over for greater privacy or pull the hood over and pull out a boob and he's drinking under covers.

Simon
02-01-2014, 04:32 PM
I have a friend who can nurse in the Ergo, or at least did for about 4 months, very easily. Personally, I never managed nursing in a carrier of any kind. I always had to sit down to get Dc latched and then could stand up and walk holding Dc if needed, but hands free was not happening here.

Chitowngirl
02-01-2014, 07:27 PM
I used to nurse DS all the time in the becco. I'd loosen the straps do he was lower than he usually was and sort of scoot him to the side a little. He was definitely older when we started doing it - about 6 months. And while it was technically "hands free" I couldn't do anything else while I was doing it like dishes or vacuuming or laundry because it moved my torso too much and he couldn't stay latched. It was great for taking a nice stroll through the mall though. No one could even tell he was eating and he was content.

mikala
02-01-2014, 10:11 PM
I used to nurse DS all the time in the becco. I'd loosen the straps do he was lower than he usually was and sort of scoot him to the side a little. He was definitely older when we started doing it - about 6 months. And while it was technically "hands free" I couldn't do anything else while I was doing it like dishes or vacuuming or laundry because it moved my torso too much and he couldn't stay latched. It was great for taking a nice stroll through the mall though. No one could even tell he was eating and he was content.

I nursed this way in the Ergo. It took a little effort to get him on but once he was nursing no one could really tell what he was doing. I deliberately wore tops with easy but discreet nursing access if I thought I might need to nurse this way.

HipMama
02-03-2014, 09:21 AM
I've never been able to manage it, not in a comfy way anyway. Easiest for me is a ring sling but I still have to loosen it and lower him down and to the side. I did it once at a restaurant when he was 3m. Haven't tried it again since.

lizzywednesday
02-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks! Glad to know I am not incompetent and that this is actually challenging.

I'm so happy to have helped you feel better. =)

Rachel, QuirkyBaby's current owner, is so wonderful at explaining what I tried to say that using her words was much easier than trying to paraphrase.

Piglet
02-03-2014, 03:42 PM
I have a friend that claims she can do it in a Baby Bjorn!? I can't even wrap my head around the logistics. I did it once in a ring sling, but it was not something I could get the hang of regularly.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-03-2014, 03:50 PM
i've done it with both kids, in Pikkolo (structured carrier) and then a SleepyWrap (like a mobywrap). i can't really describe how to do it though..i sort of just did trial and error. it also really depends on the type of carrier. I agree though it seems pretty challenging esp with a newborn... With my first i didn't figure it out until he was 4-5months old and had better head control (i used Pikkolo then). actually with my first i didn't really baby wear that much at all.

With my 2nd though, i had no choice, as i had a 1yo and a newborn and didn't have much help so it was either figure it out or go insane. it would even use it at home...nurse DD in a wrap while i was feeding DS in a high chair (i just didn't have enough hands!). it was most useful when out at the grocery store and i could just let dd nurse while i walked around and ds sat in the cart.

i think i might have had dh help me the first time (to get baby in best position, help me get the wrap on) and then i learned to do myself from there.

i rember my biggest concern was not suffocating DD, as i had huuuge bbs (Lol). i would periodically look down and check on her.

eta: i do admit it's rather tricky esp with newborns. i wouldn't have been able to do it unless i absolutely HAD to.