PDA

View Full Version : I hate skiing.

Twoboos
02-01-2014, 10:49 AM
This is no secret in my house. I have hated it since I took ski lessons in 1st grade. When I met DH (ironically on a ski trip!) I told him I hated skiing and would not ski under any circumstances.

DH loves to ski. Last year he decided DDs should learn, and they really like it. So I went to the local mtn with them 4 times, got everyone organized, stood in the freezing watching them get into their lessons (DH wanted me to stand there and WATCH the 90min lesson to make sure nothing happened to them), sat in the overcrowd stuffy lodge and read while they skied, ate the crappy lodge food, and was generally annoyed at having lost a whole day just sitting around somewhere I didn't want to be.

DH insisted they need their own skis as a Christmas gift b/c they are going to go "a lot" this year, so we spend a fortune on that along with the rest of Christmas. They have not been once. He decides to go today. Gets NOTHING ready last night, spends the morning asking me where everything is, running around annoyed when he can't find what he wants and I don't know where it is.

He promised me I had paid my dues and wouldn't have to go sit there this year, so I am staying home. Now he is in a panic b/c I won't be helping to watch the girls. HELLO they are UP ON A MOUNTAIN, what exactly do you expect me to do? They are 10 and 8 and perfectly capable. He gets in a complete drop-dead panic if they are out of his sight for seconds, like even in our back yard.

I really hate skiing and how I seem to be responsible for it in our house, even though I hate it and don't do it. That is all.

barkley1
02-01-2014, 11:00 AM
UGH. I hear you! I hate it, too! And, I hate when DH pulls a stupid stunt like what you just described, asking me where is everything, at the last minute, etc. I can so see that going down in my house. I'm sorry :( I hope they will get out the door, and you should go shopping today or something fun. I think I would go spend on myself whatever they were spending on lift tickets and food/gas :). I hate, hate, hate skiing. Cold, wet, bundled up, can't walk bc of all the gear, just not fun. I don't blame you....

pastrygirl
02-01-2014, 12:13 PM
My 4yo just asked a few days ago about skiing. I've never taken them, and I've never even gone since moving to MA 14 years ago! (I went x-country once.) All I could think of is the hassle of taking two little boys by myself! My husband won't go. I don't really have to raise outdoor winter sporty kids just because of where I live, right??

We do all have snowshoes, but average about once per winter. But at least we just do that in the woods behind our house...

MMMommy
02-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Amen. I am a beginner skier. Never skied growing up. DH can ski. We have taken the girls about 5 times total, and it is always a big pain. The equipment, the clothes, the drive to the snow. Major hassle.

cuca_
02-01-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm a new skier too. I don't hate it, but I am perfectly content to explore the greens and nothing else. My DH is in charge of skiing at our house. He takes 3 kids once a year, and would take 2 by himself on a regular basis when we lived closer to the slopes. I agree with you, sittin on the lodge of a non resort mountain waiting for everyone to ski is boring. I've done it once or twice and never again! At 10 and 8 your DH should be capable of taking them by himself. I have no suggestions as to the organization part. I am still in charge of packing for ski trips, but at least I get four or five days with just one kid out of it!

StantonHyde
02-01-2014, 03:38 PM
I really like skiing but I would be ticked off in your situation too! They are 10 and 8?? so are mine. I throw their clothes on them, unload their skis and walk them to their lessons. buh bye. If your DH is so panicked--he can watch them in their lessons. My kids go on the lift by themselves and often beat me to the bottom of the mountain. They are fine. And there is no getting everything together in the morning in my house--it must all be done the night before. Too much of a hassle otherwise. And there is no way in heck I would go somewhere and just sit there all day. ugh. I have taken the kids to lessons and gone cross country skiing or snow shoeing because the snow wasn't great for downhill. But if you don't even want to do that, then you do not need to go!!!!!

belovedgandp
02-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Um, yeah, I would have totally been a nag about it last night. I don't like skiing. Dh does, but we don't live anywhere close to a mountain. This is our first year of him taking the 10 YO with him on a weekend trip. I will be much happier at home.

I'd be double annoyed with the panic on his part and the loss of my free day on my part. Doing the laundry and prepping them out the door is more than enough work on your part.

MamaMolly
02-01-2014, 07:08 PM
I think it is totally fair for you to let him do all the prep work, all the packing, etc. This is HIS thing with the kids, he needs to do it.

123LuckyMom
02-01-2014, 08:39 PM
I agree that if ski lessons are important to your DH, and he knows you hate the whole ski thing, then he needs to be the one responsible for them. Let him know it's his job from now on, and recommend he pack up their ski gear the night before!

wellyes
02-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Yup, sounds pretty simple, if having them watched is important, he can do it! Does he go skiing during their lessons, or does he think it takes 2 people to watch the lessons.

I don't ski, DH does, he is teaching our daughter. He has a few solo-with-friends ski trips per year, but anytime he is on the mountain with the kid, he is WITH THE KID. I consider myself giving more than enough with this arrangement. I watch the kids when he goes on his trips!

SummerBaby
02-02-2014, 11:42 AM
I am so with you on this! I'm sitting in a gross crowded lodge now while my DDs take lessons. I've never even tried skiing and I grew up in upstate NY where everyone skis. I hate the cold, I hate all the layers and equipment. I always thought it would be so romantic to hang out by the fire and sip hot chocolate, but the reality of these local mountains is the lodge is more like a locker room- smells like dirty socks! And then there is the dragging everyone out of bed on the weekend to drive an hour to get up here. Hate it! I am totally bitter today- can you tell??