PDA

View Full Version : Why are people so insensitive....

Pennylane
02-01-2014, 12:34 PM
and why do people put things out on facebook so quickly? We just had a death in our family and less than 30 minutes after it happened someone put it on facebook! Not everyone had been notified and what a horrible way to find out that someone you loved has passed away.

I don't put information out like that anyway but I get that some people feel the need to but at least have the common courtesy to wait a few hours until phone calls have been made. I am so furious!

Ann

BDKmom
02-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Oh no! That stinks. I don't know why people feel the need to do this. Once arrangements have been made, ok. But anyone who needs to know before that deserves a phone call.

I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

specialp
02-01-2014, 01:19 PM
I have no idea, but I understand and am sorry for your loss. :hug: This happened to our family a few years ago and we are all still angry about it.

hellokitty
02-01-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I feel like ppl who do stuff like that on facebook, are doing it to get attn, I'd be annoyed too.

Zansu
02-01-2014, 02:04 PM
People are thinking of their own grief, not about how others will perceive a post.

mom2khj
02-01-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen when my grandmother passed away.

MamaMolly
02-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. Maybe send them a PM and ask them to take it down until the family has been notified with a phone call

Pennylane
02-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. Maybe send them a PM and ask them to take it down until the family has been notified with a phone call

I actually did reach out to them with a phone call and they bit off my head and told me to get over it.

Ann

123LuckyMom
02-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Well, shame on them all around!

I'm so sorry for your loss.

weech
02-01-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm sorry for your loss :( My cousins did this when my grandmother died overnight. They starting posting RIP messages on FB at like 2am, so I found out when I got to my office that morning. Totally awful.

TwinFoxes
02-01-2014, 07:55 PM
People are thinking of their own grief, not about how others will perceive a post.

:yeahthat: I'm very sorry for your loss.

twowhat?
02-01-2014, 09:59 PM
I actually did reach out to them with a phone call and they bit off my head and told me to get over it.

Ann

:47: Seriously?? Ugh.

I've seen this happen on FB too...I can think of a couple of deaths that I found out about on FB before the closest relative of the person who passed had actually posted anything. I actually do think it's completely insensitive, or just plain stupid. (ducking from flames!!)

I'm sorry about your loss.

wellyes
02-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Like the people who have not yet been informed of their loved one's death?
I don't think this is an etiquette issue so much as common decency.

Seitvonzu
02-01-2014, 10:55 PM
yuck. it is very weird to find out about stuff like that on facebook. i'm sorry about your family member, and that the other person wasn't decent about it :(

JustMe
02-02-2014, 12:51 AM
I'm so sorry.

AnnieW625
02-02-2014, 12:05 PM

I completely agree with that. I am sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pennylane
02-02-2014, 02:01 PM
I completely agree with that. I am sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't perceive this persons post in anyway other than he was sad. What I am saying is that it was not right to post this so soon . I learned later that more than 4 people found out about the death this way and all were very upset by it. Sorry but nothing anyone can say can make me think this was an ok thing to do. There is always "that person" that has to get the information out the quickest and wants to be given all the sympathetic wishes. This is what they did and it hurt a lot of people.

Ann

TwinFoxes
02-02-2014, 04:20 PM
I didn't perceive this persons post in anyway other than he was sad. What I am saying is that it was not right to post this so soon . I learned later that more than 4 people found out about the death this way and all were very upset by it. Sorry but nothing anyone can say can make me think this was an ok thing to do. There is always "that person" that has to get the information out the quickest and wants to be given all the sympathetic wishes. This is what they did and it hurt a lot of people.

Ann

I understood what you meant, and I agree with you (even though I also yeah thatted the earlier post, I wasn't saying your feelings were wrong at all!) Again, I'm really sorry for your loss. :hug:

Pennylane
02-02-2014, 04:43 PM
I understood what you meant, and I agree with you (even though I also yeah thatted the earlier post, I wasn't saying your feelings were wrong at all!) Again, I'm really sorry for your loss. :hug:

Thanks and sorry to have been so defensive. Just torn up over this!

Ann

TwinFoxes
02-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks and sorry to have been so defensive. Just torn up over this!

Ann

Understandably so. Losing a loved one is the hardest thing we have to deal with. :hug:

Zansu
02-02-2014, 05:33 PM
FB is an efficient way of getting information to a large group of people.

When my father died, we contacted first degree relatives, and then I posted because it was what **I** needed to do.

mackmama
02-03-2014, 12:10 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. I think that is super insensitive. I'm not really a fan of posting anything personal on FB, but I'm shocked by what people put on there and when.

BabbyO
02-04-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost a relative last week and I purposely waited until the immediate family had all be notified, and those closest posted on FB first. People really can be insensitive, and I'm sorry that you were subject to it as such a difficult time.

lizzywednesday
02-04-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, OP.

Because my dad mentioned he had trouble contacting my uncle, I actually made it a point to make sure my cousins had been notified when our grandmother passed away before I posted anything on Facebook. (I sent them FB messages, which allowed me to reach all 3 of them, and let them know in the event they were unable to reach their dad.)

I really don't like getting important news on FB when I'm a "VIP" and could have been told another way first.

Leshoequeen
02-04-2014, 09:17 PM
That's terrible! I can't stand when people make things like this all about themselves. They're posting ok Facebook for sympathy and that's pretty low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk