PDA

View Full Version : Single Mom and Preschooler to WDW

AshleyAnn
02-02-2014, 11:24 AM
I really want to take DD (age 4) to Disney World this summer/fall. I know I'm a bit late in planning by Disneyaholic standards but I'm a newbie.

I'm about 8 hours from Disney and a seasoned road tripper so I'll probably drive down for an extended weekend unless I can score super cheat flights.

We'll be going just her and I. Has anyone done Disney as a single parent? We've traveled quite a bit just her and I so it wont be our first adventure but I'm nervous as its DISNEY. I havent ever been to disney world myself so i feel like im going to a forgien country. Suggestions?

I'm also on a budget so tips for that would be appreciated!

TwinFoxes
02-02-2014, 03:21 PM
In a way I think it could almost be easier with the two of you. Only two people's needs to worry about, you know? I think you will have a blast.

My strong recommendation is to buy "The Unofficial Guide to WDW". It will really help with planning.

if you don't mind staying off property, you might want to look into the Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It is very close to Epcot, DHS and Downtown Disney, closer than some "on property" hotels. I booked through Vacation Strategies. 10 days in a presidential 1 bedroom was around $1100!

Also, if you haven't yet, register on Disney.com and request the planning CD. They sometimes send out pin codes for great deals.

Have fun! You have plenty of planning time BTW.

Cam&Clay
02-02-2014, 03:26 PM
I took DS1 when he was 5 the summer before Kindergarten. I was a single mom at the time. We had a blast! We stayed at Pop Century for 6 nights. I had planned too much for us to do and we ended up taking one day to do nothing but hang by the pool and shop at Downtown Disney.

I wouldn't hesitate to go. You will have a ball!

123LuckyMom
02-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Definitely go! You won't have any problems being a single mom with only one. I also recommend the Unofficial Guide. Get the very latest version. To save money, I always get food to have at the hotel room and take into the park. We eat breakfast in our room and bring snacks/PB&J sandwiches or other food with us. We usually only ordered lunch for the grownups and just milk for the kids. They were happy to eat fruit, cheese, crackers, etc. from our stash (but our kids are young). We also ate counter service food almost exclusively (I think we did 2 restaurant dinners in 7 nights) and didn't do character meals. Our kids don't love the characters close up.

Decide what you can afford to spend in souvenirs beforehand and discuss it with your child. Lots of rides let out in gift shops, and a gift at every shop can get expensive fast!

maybeebaby08
02-02-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm not a single mom but when we went DD1 & I went back at night just the two of us and it was so fun! It was much easier just the two of us, then all four of us. We went over Columbus Day Fri-Tue stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (2 Bedroom Deluxe) for $575. Agree with PP plan a down day, DD1 loved the pools. We saved money eating in the room, we didn't eat a lot of meals in the parks, we'd didn't care for the food. We were able to do the most being there for rope drop, taking a break in the afternoons and heading back at night. You'll have so much fun!

ETA: I would drive not fly, it's nice to have a car, parking at Disney is $15 each day but if you stay at Wyndham you'll want a car. I'd start booking any dining reservations now, and Vacation Strategies only requires a. $150 deposit so it's a good way to book your trip now and budget everything out.

mom2beofboy/girltwins
02-03-2014, 12:15 AM
I'm a single mom with 4 yr old twins. The three of us have done Epcot, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas @ Magic Kingdom, Seaworld several times, and a ton of other things. I say, yes, absolutely! Go together and have a great time! For me the trickiest issue is potty emergencies lol, but we manage. We've even had nice folks hold our place in line when someone's had a critical need to go, but try to go BEFORE you get in a long line ;)

egoldber
02-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Definitely go!!!!

One of my fondest Disney memories was a trip where DH was only with us part of the time and older DD and I (she was 4 at the time) were there by ourselves the rest of the time. We had a blast! It's so much easier with just 2 people. Easier to get around, decide what to do, what to eat, etc. We didn't have a car, so we rode the buses everywhere.

We stayed at POFQ that trip. Personally, I like the moderate and value resorts. If you stay on property, you won't need a rental car. OTOH, driving does have advantages. You can certainly get a much better room for cheaper when you stay off property.

hellokitty
02-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I agree, it would be easier to just have one adult and one child! You can totally be flexible to your dd's schedule and not have to worry about anyone else's needs. Do it. It's not too late to plan, esp if you are going to drive there. Have fun!

egoldber
02-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Oh, and it is not late at all!!! We just went and frankly, I did no planning until a few months before. This is a very low crowd level time (and I would go in fall vs. summer) but still we had not trouble making dining reservations and FastPass+ times on the fly.

Seitvonzu
02-03-2014, 11:12 AM
I've been home with my daughter since she was born (she is 6 now)-- i honestly NEVER hesitated to take her anywhere I wanted, just her and I :) we flew 3 or 4 times in her first year, and have always gone on "outings" together. i always thought it was EASIER to go with her than the "whole family" (with her dad) i'd definitely take her to disney alone if i had the opportunity-- it would be amazing! :)