PDA

View Full Version : Need ipad help NOW!

icunurse
02-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Ok....I waited until the day before DS's birthday to get his ipad mini set up. I thought I was doing everything right, now not so sure. I just registered his ipad under my account so that I could share some apps with him (via iCloud). Then I deleted all the pics and my favorites list and my personal apps from his ipad. Now I am back on my ipad and see that when iCloud synced, I have lost my favorites list and my bookmarks. I still have my apps and my pictures, though. So....

Did I do something wrong? I don't want all my stuff on his ipad, but I also don't want to risk my stuff being deleted, either.
Should I have just given him his own account and repurchased the apps that I have? Otherwise, how do I manage between the two?
Any way to recover my favorites and bookmark lists? I don't remember everything on them to start over....
What else do I need to know?

Grateful I wasn't totally lazy and waited until tomorrow to get his ipad set up! Lol

kboyle
02-03-2014, 07:48 PM
if you have him sync'd to cloud and yourself sync'd to cloud what you do on one will happen on the other. i have my kids use my acct but i'm the only backed up and sync'd to cloud. as long as u have him under your acct you can share apps, there's no need to have him sync'd to cloud. i back up my kids devices every month or so on the computer.

my stuff never ends up on their devices and vice versa.

as for recovering lost iCloud info i have no idea...

egoldber
02-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Oh my. I dunno what to do about that. I would make a Genius appt if you can.

But what you want is to share an iTunes account, but you each want separate iCloud accounts. Otherwise he will also get your texts.

icunurse
02-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Oh my. I dunno what to do about that. I would make a Genius appt if you can.

But what you want is to share an iTunes account, but you each want separate iCloud accounts. Otherwise he will also get your texts.

Ok....talked to an apple guy and apparently when icloud is lost, it is lost forever. Trying not to be majorly ticked at myself, but fortunately all I lost was bookmarks and favorites. Unfortunately, my huge bookmark of recipes is gone forever....

I am obviously not an apple person, so was I not supposed to register his ipad under my account? Should I change it now. I have nothing to lose at this point lol. I don't get texts on my ipad. I don't own an iPhone. I just want he and I to have separate accounts.

$hit....

egoldber
02-03-2014, 08:33 PM
I think you do want to set up with the same iTunes account. But the iCloud account e-mail needs to be different.

Is there a reason you don't want to get texts to your iPad?

o_mom
02-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Yes, same iTunes account to share apps, music and movies. Then different iClouds for backing up photos, favorites, facetime and messages and mail if you want.

lhafer
02-03-2014, 08:40 PM
He can have his own account and you can have yours. Whatever apps you download will be shareable between all iPads. We have 4 iPads. The kids have stuff on theirs that's strict for them, and stuff on ours that's strictly for us. But I can download any apps to any iPad no matter which account it's on. We turn off in app purchases on the kids iPads. And they can't delete apps or surf the web either, but they are little.

NCGrandma
02-03-2014, 09:20 PM
He can have his own account and you can have yours. Whatever apps you download will be shareable between all iPads. We have 4 iPads. The kids have stuff on theirs that's strict for them, and stuff on ours that's strictly for us. But I can download any apps to any iPad no matter which account it's on. We turn off in app purchases on the kids iPads. And they can't delete apps or surf the web either, but they are little.

How does this work (sharing apps among all the iPads no matter which account it's on)? I thought there was no way to share (paid) apps. Of course, free apps can be downloaded by anyone regardless of their account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

icunurse
02-03-2014, 09:36 PM
I think you do want to set up with the same iTunes account. But the iCloud account e-mail needs to be different.

Is there a reason you don't want to get texts to your iPad?

Got it right now. A bit too late for me, but it is right. This just feeds my dislike of apple.....

No idea how texts to ipad even works. I don't text much anyway. My phone is just fine for that :) Unless you can convince me otherwise ;)

egoldber
02-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Better keyboard? :)

It's under Settings > Messages > Send and receive. Add your cell number. :)

How does this work (sharing apps among all the iPads no matter which account it's on)?

The apps are tied to the iTunes account, not the device. You can send any app you have paid for to any iDevice connected to your iTunes account. This is why the OP needs to set up her DS's iPad under her iTunes account. The 4 of us share one iTunes account with many different devices, but each of is have our own iCloud account. That way I don't get DH or DD's messages.

icunurse
02-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Now I have lost my bookmarks bar (the open book at the top), so I can't make separate bookmarks to rebuild my lost items. Trying everything I can google.

FUUUUUUUDDDDGGGGGEEEEEE.........

lhafer
02-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Better keyboard? :)

It's under Settings > Messages > Send and receive. Add your cell number. :)

The apps are tied to the iTunes account, not the device. You can send any app you have paid for to any iDevice connected to your iTunes account. This is why the OP needs to set up her DS's iPad under her iTunes account. The 4 of us share one iTunes account with many different devices, but each of is have our own iCloud account. That way I don't get DH or DD's messages.

Yes, this exactly. You have access to all the apps you download, paid or free, through iTunes.