PDA

View Full Version : ruptured ear drum ... now leaking

Tondi G
02-04-2014, 01:31 AM
I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this. My older DS ruptured an eardrum once but it leaked a relatively small amount of yellowish gunk and then it cleared up. DS2 had a cold for a week.... wicked congestion, cough and fever. On Friday night he started to complain of ear pain. We put garlic oil drops in his ear, gave him Ibuprofen. As the night went on he was increasingly more uncomfortable. I found some old ear numbing drops and he said they didn't help. He was sobbing and it was a rough night. Saturday morning he woke up around 6:30am and immediately started crying that it hurt. I jumped up and got him Ibuprofen and within 20 or 30 min he suddenly said "Mom I think my ear it bleeding". Sure enough his ear was leaking a pink tinged fluid. We went to a walk in clinic and the nurse practitioner that saw him said that based on the leakage and the fact that the pain was improved that it was likely ruptured but his ear drum was so covered in pus she couldn't actually see the perforation. SO we were sent on our way with an rx for oral antibiotics and told to make sure he doesn't swim and to put cotton in his ear when he takes a bath... just keep it clean and dry. His ear has been leaking fluid ever since. All day Saturday, Sunday and now Monday. He missed the entire week of school last week and we kept him home again today because he would either have to have tissues stuffed in his ear or wear a headband to hold a washcloth over his ear, I'm assuming the school wouldn't want him there leaking blood tinged fluid from his ear all day. More than anything he is annoyed by the leakage. I've never experienced anything like this before. He keeps asking me when it is going to stop leaking and I don't know what to tell him. I'm also not sure that even if we went to an ENT that they could stop the leakage ... I am nervous cause I wouldn't want the membrane to close up and trap all of that fluid behind his eardrum again.

Thanks for any advice anyone has to offer. Oh and by the way DS2 is 8 yrs old if that makes any difference. Thankfully he isn't a tiny baby dealing with all of this.... it would be an even worse nightmare!

94bruin
02-04-2014, 02:05 AM
Dd1, also 8, ruptured her eardrum just under 2 weeks ago. She woke up screaming of pain on a Wednesday, was miserable at school. Took the entire day off on Thurs and Friday. Literally stayed in bed all day Thursday. On Friday, she saw her ped and he prescribed her oral antibiotics and antibiotic ear drops. She just finished up both today. Wondering if your son needs ear drops as well?

She leaked a little on Wed and Thur - but nothing like what your DS has been going through.

I don't have any advice for you, but if I were in your situation, I'd try to take him to his pediatrician and go from there. Get the advice of a medical professional asap!

Nooknookmom
02-04-2014, 02:51 AM
I had to a of inner ear issues as a Kid and rec the ESR drops as well.

missliss55
02-04-2014, 02:53 AM
DD#1 had a ruptured ear drum when she was 3. Our pediatrician gave her oral antibiotics as well as ear drops.

basilicali
02-04-2014, 02:54 AM
You need to take him in to the pediatrician tomorrow.
If after 3-5 days he is not improving it is likely that the antibiotic is not working.
I usually treat a ruptured ear drum with oral antibiotics and antibiotic ear drops.

Corie
02-04-2014, 08:34 AM
This happened to my husband last Thanksgiving. He ruptured both eardrums and he had blood dripping out of his ears.
The next day he went to an urgent care and got antibiotics. (oral antibiotics and antibiotic ear drops)

He followed up about a week later with our regular doctor. The Dr. couldn't even see DH's eardrums because they were
so infected. Meanwhile, he was still leaking gunk from his ears. He just walked around with cotton balls in his ears.

Then, I made him go to an ENT. He was told not to fly for 6 months. They did a hearing test on him and he had the
hearing of a 90 year old man. It took him a LONG time to get most of his hearing back. I still don't think it's back to normal.
He cranks the TV volume so darn loud.

HipMama
02-04-2014, 08:35 AM
It still must have a hole, that's why the leakage

Jen841
02-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Got to an ENT. My son has issues and has multiple ruptures and it has never leaked long.

BabbyO
02-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Got to an ENT. My son has issues and has multiple ruptures and it has never leaked long.

:yeahthat:

I've had my eardrum rupture multiple times as both a kid and adult. I've never had that sort of leakage. My gut tells me he had a nasty infection with a lot of fluid behind the eardrum and it is taking it's sweet time draining. Back when I was a kid, they'd vacuum that stuff out...or my doc's often did. Hurt like crazy, though. Not sure what they'd do now.

To the PP who's DH had the ruptured eardrum, it is absolutely possible to lose part of your hearing permanently due to ruptured eardrums and scar tissue...I have.

Gracemom
02-04-2014, 11:19 AM
My son had a ruptured ear drum due to a severe ear infection. It leaked for a few days until the infection cleared up. He was on oral antibiotics as well as ear drops. I used half a cotton ball in his ear during bath time to prevent water from getting in. It healed fine.

legaleagle
02-04-2014, 12:32 PM
I ruptured an eardrum about 18 months ago. It leaked pink fluid for a couple days and then clear yellowish fluid for another week or so, though that wasn't that much and it was mostly at night (slept with towel on the pillow which was pretty gross) . I had oral and ear drop antibiotics and the ENT vacuumed it out a few days after the rupture (soonest I could get in since of course this happened over a long weekend). I would definitely take him in since it's still pink.

Tondi G
02-05-2014, 02:23 AM
So the leakage stopped today. He stayed home today because I wasn't sure if it would pick back up or not. He has been mostly dry all day. The clinic we went to, the NP prescribed some ear drops after I told her that when my older son had an eardrum rupture they gave us drops in addition to the oral antibiotics. The one's she gave us are

Neomycin and PolymyxinB Sulfates and Hydrocortisone Otic Suspension USP

She told me to wait 2 or 3 days before starting them. When I looked them up online a couple of sites said they were not to be used if there was a membrane rupture that they can damage something in the inner ear. So I didn't use them. I am torn now if we should just suck it up and pay out of pocket to see an ENT (we have no health insurance right now, my DH has been mostly unemployed for almost 15 months) or if since the leakage has stopped we are ok and should just continue with the oral meds and hopefully it will clear it all up.

Tondi G
02-05-2014, 02:28 AM
this is the info I was reading http://www.rxlist.com/cortisporin-otic-solution-drug/warnings-precautions.htm

Patients being treated with eardrops containing neomycin should be under close clinical observation. Due to its acidity which may cause burning and stinging, CORTISPORIN Otic Solution (neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates and hydrocortisone otic solution) should not be used in any patients with a perforated tympanic membrane.

TwinFoxes
02-05-2014, 03:01 AM
Not what you asked, but I would think your DS is entitled to insurance through the state. I don't know how much urgent care costs with no insurance, but it might be more cost effective to just pay a premium than urgent care fees. Just a thought. :)

Tondi G
02-05-2014, 12:41 PM
I am in the process of looking for some kind of medical insurance through the state. The clinic we went to was $69 for the visit so much less expensive than paying a $200+/mo premium which would more than likely also have a $30 co-pay for each visit. We are having a hard enough time making sure our rent and bills are paid ... adding another monthly bill for insurance, even if just for our 2 children would be a burden, unfortunately. :( Luckily our boys are very healthy for the most part. DS2 seems to get sick at the end of Jan or early Feb and has had an EI every February for his entire life. Our former pediatrician thought this was so interesting.