PDA

View Full Version : S/O - Bleach Users - do you have only white towels/linens?

BabbyO
02-04-2014, 11:22 AM
I'm truly not being snarky here. I'd love to use bleach on things like our towels. They, esp, the washcloths, often get a musty smell to them even though I wash them regularly. I think it is because DH often doesn't wring his out as well and it doesn't totally dry over the course of the day.

Anyway, how do you use bleach without having it ruin your towels? Or do you just have white towels? I have cream and brown towels in our house and I'm terrified to use bleach for fear that it would ruin them.

94bruin
02-04-2014, 11:26 AM
I'm truly not being snarky here. I'd love to use bleach on things like our towels. They, esp, the washcloths, often get a musty smell to them even though I wash them regularly. I think it is because DH often doesn't wring his out as well and it doesn't totally dry over the course of the day.

Anyway, how do you use bleach without having it ruin your towels? Or do you just have white towels? I have cream and brown towels in our house and I'm terrified to use bleach for fear that it would ruin them.

I've also always been curious about this and would love to know the answer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

egoldber
02-04-2014, 11:37 AM
I only have white towels for this reason.

Ceepa
02-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Some washing machines have a place where you can add a measured amount of bleach, it will be added to the load automatically.

I don't use bleach every time but when I use it periodically it keeps the stale/stinky smells away.

I have an older machine so I add some bleach to the tub along with the detergent as the water is filling. I let it fill halfway or more and let the agitator mix everything together before adding towels. The bleach is dilute enough to not effect the color, but to be fair, I have mostly white and light colored towels. I want to switch over to all white towels at some point. DC's cloth napkins are white and I use bleach on those from time to time, too.

After a load using bleach I make sure to run an extra rinse cycle or wash a load of whites as I normally do.

c&j04
02-04-2014, 11:41 AM
The amount of bleach needed to sanitize the towels doesn't remove the color. I know my mom uses/used bleach in EVERY washer load of towels for health reasons and hers aren't all white. Don't know amount tho so not much help. Want me to ask?

HannaAddict
02-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Even diluted bleach will ruin non-white towels. If you have musty problems, you can try vinegar too without ruining colored towels.

123LuckyMom
02-04-2014, 11:42 AM
I would use vinegar instead of bleach. Pour a bunch from the big jug right in the drum with the towels. It will disinfect them just as well as bleach. It will smell awful, but I promise that there will be no smell once they go through the dryer, and all the bacteria will be gone.

Do NOT use bleach and vinegar at the same time. It creates a poisonous gas!!! If you do want to use bleach with colors, it's dangerous! You must make sure that the bleach is thoroughly mixed with the water and soap before you put anything in the water. If the bleach is not fully diluted, it will strip the color in the towels and not evenly, either! It's really much safer and just as effective to use vinegar.

RedSuedeShoes
02-04-2014, 11:54 AM
I used to have the same problem. And my MIL's towels had such a strong musty smell it would stay on your hands after drying them on a hand towel. It was really gross. Then she heard it was from detergent residue & using vinegar as the rinse agent was the answer. I am sooo glad she heard that tip! Turns out she had been using more detergent to try to fix it. And using dryer sheets to mask the smell. I thought she would have to throw those towels away! But she still has the same towels & they are fluffy & absorbent & smell fine! We have both been using vinegar in the fabric softener cup for every load for several years now & it works great. I hardly ever bleach - hot water wash, vinegar rinse & hot dry takes care of bacteria anyway.

RedSuedeShoes
02-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Forgot to mention I also use OxiClean!

Binkandabee
02-04-2014, 12:04 PM
I use a very small bit of bleach in every towel load and we have an array of colored towels...not a single white one. Our darkest ones are chocolate brown. With the small amount I use, it doesn't fade color at all. It's just enough to take care of the mildew/musty smell.

TxCat
02-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Second or third the vinegar recommendation for mustiness. Even if I had all white towels I still wouldn't use bleach since it can make whites dingey over time.

BabbyO
02-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Well, very interesting replies. I started using Vinegar a few months ago in our towels. I use about a cup in the water with the detergent, then another cup in the liquid fabric softener dispenser. I have noticed that the towels are doing much better, but the washcloths are still somewhat musty. Maybe I should just do a load with washcloths only, and use a fair amt of vinegar. Then continue using it in each wash as I have been to maintain.

Oh, I know well not to use bleach and vinegar. Also don't use bleach and ammonia....(thanks dad for teaching me that science at home is not recommended!)

AnnieW625
02-04-2014, 12:24 PM
I will use Oxi Clean with the towels if they are really dirty but have never felt the need to use any bleach on them. I like dark navy colored towels though and have no problems getting them clean enough!

BabbyO
02-04-2014, 12:28 PM
I use a very small bit of bleach in every towel load and we have an array of colored towels...not a single white one. Our darkest ones are chocolate brown. With the small amount I use, it doesn't fade color at all. It's just enough to take care of the mildew/musty smell.

How much do you use? Our towels are the chocolate brown, too. I'm thinking about 1 load with bleach for the washcloths....

marymoo86
02-04-2014, 12:40 PM
I would use vinegar instead of bleach. Pour a bunch from the big jug right in the drum with the towels. It will disinfect them just as well as bleach. It will smell awful, but I promise that there will be no smell once they go through the dryer, and all the bacteria will be gone.

Do NOT use bleach and vinegar at the same time. It creates a poisonous gas!!! If you do want to use bleach with colors, it's dangerous! You must make sure that the bleach is thoroughly mixed with the water and soap before you put anything in the water. If the bleach is not fully diluted, it will strip the color in the towels and not evenly, either! It's really much safer and just as effective to use vinegar.

:yeahthat:

Binkandabee
02-04-2014, 12:41 PM
It's a very small amount. I have a place on my washer to put bleach and I don't even fill it up halfway with the towels and I always have the washer completely FULL with towels.

Mopey
02-04-2014, 01:05 PM
I only have white towels for this reason.

Personally I am just not a fan of colored towels unless they are really pale. I like to be able to see the dirt....hence my white kitchen, white bathroom, white towels, sheets, etc. We do have some patterned/ colored sheets and those don't get bleach but do get hot water.

I think living with a whole bunch of boys in college traumatized me (7 19/20 year old guys and me the only (older) girl) - they all had darker towels "to hide the dirt from my mom" :rotflmao:

BunnyBee
02-04-2014, 01:41 PM
I prefer white towels and sheets, but I rarely use bleach. I throw in Borax and OxyClean.

Kindra178
02-04-2014, 02:49 PM
I used to have the same problem. And my MIL's towels had such a strong musty smell it would stay on your hands after drying them on a hand towel. It was really gross. Then she heard it was from detergent residue & using vinegar as the rinse agent was the answer. I am sooo glad she heard that tip! Turns out she had been using more detergent to try to fix it. And using dryer sheets to mask the smell. I thought she would have to throw those towels away! But she still has the same towels & they are fluffy & absorbent & smell fine! We have both been using vinegar in the fabric softener cup for every load for several years now & it works great. I hardly ever bleach - hot water wash, vinegar rinse & hot dry takes care of bacteria anyway.

We don't use bleach or dryer sheets on towels (or on anything, really). Vinegar is a natural water softener and works wonders to remove smells. If you want to use something, throw in some Borax. Why do you want to use bleach? Unless you are dealing with poop, the harm associated with bleach, both for the environment and human exposure, outweighs any bacteria killing benefit.

doberbrat
02-04-2014, 03:12 PM
I have alot of 'tie tyed' towels. ;) I like using bleach enough not to care about the towel colors -mostly. But years ago, I also bought bleach-safe colored towels. We've had them for many years (5?) and they're just now starting to fade.

I love the smell of bleach. I associate it with being clean I guess from my childhood.

123LuckyMom
02-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Well, very interesting replies. I started using Vinegar a few months ago in our towels. I use about a cup in the water with the detergent, then another cup in the liquid fabric softener dispenser. I have noticed that the towels are doing much better, but the washcloths are still somewhat musty. Maybe I should just do a load with washcloths only, and use a fair amt of vinegar. Then continue using it in each wash as I have been to maintain.

Oh, I know well not to use bleach and vinegar. Also don't use bleach and ammonia....(thanks dad for teaching me that science at home is not recommended!)

Unlike bleach, you really can't use too much vinegar. It's cheap, so don't be stingy, just pour away!!! I'd do as you are thinking, a load of just the washcloths. If they're already clean, don't use too much soap. Be generous with the vinegar, and don't just use it in the rinse. Pretend it's the detergent. It will definitely work if you use enough.

Something I learned is that too much soap can cause problems, especially in towels. I can't remember who gave me the suggestion, but I was told that every once in a while I should run the (clean) towels through without any soap at all to do a very thorough rinse. I use vinegar in those loads, too.

BabbyO
02-04-2014, 05:21 PM
Unlike bleach, you really can't use too much vinegar. It's cheap, so don't be stingy, just pour away!!! I'd do as you are thinking, a load of just the washcloths. If they're already clean, don't use too much soap. Be generous with the vinegar, and don't just use it in the rinse. Pretend it's the detergent. It will definitely work if you use enough.

Something I learned is that too much soap can cause problems, especially in towels. I can't remember who gave me the suggestion, but I was told that every once in a while I should run the (clean) towels through without any soap at all to do a very thorough rinse. I use vinegar in those loads, too.

I know that my mom always said that too much soap can be a problem, esp for washcloths that probably already have soap on them. I usually only use 1/2 - 3/4 the amt of soap that is recommended

mikala
02-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Yeah, most anyone who has ever cloth diapered can attest to the soap buildup problem. In cloth diapers too much soap can make diapers stink and cause rashes.

I think fabric softener can also contribute to stink.

I use bleach very rarely, mostly just when we have the stomach flu. I occasionally use vinegar but don't use it on synthetics or elastics because it can degrade both.

Green_Tea
02-04-2014, 07:16 PM
We don't use bleach or dryer sheets on towels (or on anything, really). Vinegar is a natural water softener and works wonders to remove smells. If you want to use something, throw in some Borax. Why do you want to use bleach? Unless you are dealing with poop, the harm associated with bleach, both for the environment and human exposure, outweighs any bacteria killing benefit.

Yes to this. I am really surprised that so many people routinely use bleach, considering the concerns that people here have about the off gassing of mattresses, furniture, carpet, etc. and things like antibacterial soap. Bleach is really bad. A hot wash and dry should do plenty to "disinfect" the towels - which I am guessing are not that dirty to begin with. It's really the dryer that kills the germs.